Persistance or being a pest?

rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I wonder if there is a fine line between being persistant or being a pest? Im asking because I have turned in my resume and cover letter to the place I currently work for an internship position in the IT department. Both times I have been told that the information will be forworded to the right people but that is not good enough for me.

What I plan on doing is standing outside the IT office and try to catch the IT employees and see if I can get some information out of them, talk to them about how they got back there, or ask if I can see whoever is in charge of IT there and just schedule a talk/interview with them. From this I hope to at least build my network and try to find out where they do need IT/Networking people (they recently downsized the department and that is why Im only asking for an internship)

Just to give some info about myself, I am 22 with a AS in CS majored in IT/Networking and NEED experience. I would like to gain an intership at UPS (where I currently work as a package handler; the lowest of the low :)) because they are world wide and offer great perks to employees...even the package handlers.

So hows my plan so far. I do plan on trying for employment at other companies but I would really like to stay with UPS if possible. I would also like to know when I cross that line of being persistant and into the territory of being a pest. Any other suggestions you guys can give would be great.

Comments

• woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    If you already work there then why do you need to stand around outside?

If it was me I would go in there and try and have a friendly 5 minute chat, I know that wouldn't bother me if someone came in to talk to me where I work now, but I think I would find them a little odd if they were lurking around outside the office waiting for me (sounds like a stalker!).

Good Luck
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah yeah. Just knock on the door and ask to talk to someone about a career in IT here at UPS. It also makes me look more forward and ambisious. Thanks. I believe Im going to do just that. Any other suggestions?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rbowman wrote:
    Ah yeah. Just knock on the door and ask to talk to someone about a career in IT here at UPS. It also makes me look more forward and ambisious. Thanks. I believe Im going to do just that. Any other suggestions?

Bring donuts! No, I'm not kidding. Believe me, it helps.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    rbowman wrote:

Bring donuts! No, I'm not kidding. Believe me, it helps.
    Honestly, I think it’s a risk. I like his idea of bringing in donuts. Thing is I have seen folks come in and talk about how they would like to work in our IT office. Most of the time when they leave they get the shezzz another one look. I personally don’t mind talking to folks, but I also tell them the reality of their chances. First, keep it short, second don’t sound like a dummy and ramble on. Try making friends with one of them or someone who knows them well. It is better to have someone introduce you to them. I have done that before. I knew the best friend of one of the IT employees and got introduced that way. Networking is an art. Don’t make it sound like you want in because you want experience make it sound like they can really benefit because your there.
    The current job I have was offered to me not because I knew them well, but because I have some skills areas they don’t have, and they want me to teach them. Knowing me was just icing.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I wouldn't wait outside or go inside - You will just look needy and be a pest. When people approach me about being in IT its annoying, I don't want to talk or listen to how a person can format a drive or remove spyware, chances are the IT dept isn't ready to lsiten- Thats why we have interviews. I would just do a good job at your current position, keep professional, meet contacts/friends, get some certs and look for internal IT job postings and apply. Being a pest is the best way not to get a job.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    I wouldn't wait outside or go inside - You will just look needy and be a pest. When people approach me about being in IT its annoying, I don't want to talk or listen to how a person can format a drive or remove spyware, chances are the IT dept isn't ready to lsiten- Thats why we have interviews. I would just do a good job at your current position, keep professional, meet contacts/friends, get some certs and look for internal IT job postings and apply. Being a pest is the best way not to get a job.

Hey now.. I was trying to get some free donuts! You just ruined it...
    icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.