Passed Linux+

W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just passed the second half of the linux+ today. I wasn't really planning on taking this test until WGU added it to their IT Security degree. I've been doing linux administration for the past year and a half and I've probably used just about every major distro before settling on arch linux. The coursework did teach me a few interesting things that I never learned on the job like the hwinfo utility and the ldd command. My future educational plans are to finish my degree and then focus on another linux cert. I'm considering the RHCE because it'll be more marketable but I feel like I might learn more from the LPIC-2 and LPIC-3. Personally I was only using fedora and centos at the time of studying but I was already pretty familiar with the apt package manager.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Don't forget you are also eligable for:

LPI: LPIC-1
    NOVELL: NCLA, DTCS

W2G! icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Congratulations on the pass. Did you use any cbt products or books to go along with your on the job experience?
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats W Stewart!!

FTR I think I used ldd once after my Linux+ exam on the job icon_wink.gif
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! Good luck with next adventure icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congratulations bro! I just started Linux+ yesterday and I have 0 experience with linux so it should be an interesting class. Keep up the good work!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bryzey wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. Did you use any cbt products or books to go along with your on the job experience?

I uses some videos that were provided by WGU. I did learn a few new interesting things and I'm still deciding whether I'm going to take the rhcsa/rhce next or the lpic-2/3.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RHCE is far better than LPIC-3, IMO.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My employer has been talking about paying for certifications including the RHCE so I may go ahead and knock that one out but I'm thinking of doing the lpic-2 and 3 on my own just for the knowledge. The lpi exams seem to be a lot broader and every now and then, they introduce me to a useful tool that I didn't know about. RHCE is performance based but you can get the job done with whatever tool you're familiar with.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @W Stewart: I agree with you, I saw the objectives for LPIC1-3 and they are indeed broad. I'd like to do them to expand and broaden my knowledge as well. Good luck and congrats
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Alisha45Alisha45 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□