Anyone gotten a server admin type job w/ server+

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Anyone gotten a server admin type job w/ server+

Also is server+ 2009 still the current exam? Seems like it is due for an update

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have never see a job posting ask for Server+. Get the A+, Network+ and Security+ then move on to the vendor certs.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Na, but I've seen people who do Server/Network administration with it.

I'm considering whether or not to put my team thru it at the moment...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's been a while, but as memory serves me this certification was more about break fix. The only vendors I've remember requiring this was Lenovo and I believe HP. This certification I believe could replace the vendor specific certifications such as HP or Lenovo and you could still order parts and install them with the blessing of the organization. If you are interested in the software aspects of system administration I would not go for this certification and consider Linux or Windows operating systems. The techs I managed all had A+, which I believe took the place of Server +.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had Server+ for years. While I wouldn't say it specifically and alone opened any doors in my IT career, I do think it along with other certs, college, and experience on my resume has helped get prospective employers to review my resume. IT careers require continual dedication to learning, after all, and having certs is one way an employer can see you're willing to study and learn When I took Server+ I was doing some admin work, and mostly desktop. Studying for the certification helped me get a more foundational understanding of what advance server administration would involve - beyond what A+ or Network+ exams do, although some of the info is redundant. I say study and sit for the exam.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I think it best to move on towards vendor specific certifications. The one reason why you might want to take the server+ (or other CompTIA exam) is to not let the 3-year certification limit lapse. But then again, you may be able to renew them for another 3 years by showing CompTIA your vendor certifications.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA Server+ have never been a well known certification to most employers but it does have a niche. It is interesting to see that Amazon requires the Server+ for their Data Center Techs.

Data Center Technician, Ashburn, VA - Amazon - Ashburn, VA | dice.com - 11-7-2013
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd agree, MCSA for Server 2008 / 2012 would be more worth your while. Server+ just shows you have a grasp of the concepts and understanding. It doesnt really show your an expert in the field.

I have my Server+, I think it will be 'good' to have, but not required. I got it just because I felt like it will benefit me later on. But, if you want the big money jobs, earn an MCSA. Some techs, even in the IT field will feel they are a dime a dozen, but employer's feel otherwise.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with LittleBits point. MCSA will probably open more jobs for advance server jobs. Server+ is meant to be basic.

I got my Server+ about the time I was transitioning from all desktop work to an analyst position doing some desktop and some server work. For me it probably helped in that transition because I was not a server expert by any means. I had MCSE at that time (years ago), but didn't have the server experience by any stretch. Server+ for my job at the time was a great learning tool. Even with MCSE in 2000 I still picked up some good info, because most of my knowledge from that time was from a classwork and desktop support tech view.