IT schools in chicago,il

chefy79chefy79 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello. im trying career change and looking for some info on schools that just do IT related stuff. Somewhere in the Chicago land area

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Are you currently in Chicago?

Are you currently in school or a school? If so, which one?

What sort of background do you have? Do you currently hold any certifications? Are you looking for a degree? Or simply a certificate?

Many members use WGU, do you have any interest in an online school?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • chefy79chefy79 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you for the quick response. yes, I do live in the Chicago land area. Nope I don't have any certs. this would be a career change for me. I do in fact like the online school idea. I spoke with a new horizons rep but, it doesn't work will with y work week. I'm basically looking to get certs and move forward from there. I like school but, I don't like ALL the course that go with it. I do understand you really don't need a degree but certs work well and of course having the experience. please advise.
    If you don't have a degree, and have no certs, you'll be better long-term to pursue a degree. A program such as WGU is what a number of members here have used and you may want to visit those forums to read through their discussions.

If you merely wish to pursue a few certification, it will by far be less expensive, but you'll still need to purchase books, plus the exams, and very likely equipment for your studies. Whereas in a degreed program, you can lease or just borrow equipment (or use virtual equipment available to students) to gain some hands-on training.

I do not recommend New Horizons for this sort of training. They have some decent one-off type classes, but you'll be out a lot of money and realize a bit late that you could have accomplished the same by purchasing the text yourself and setting up a study schedule. The good and bad of their programs vary based on location, instructors, and the actual class. I would also stir clear of "IT" like programs where you out-of-pocket $25K or more and it is a speed course. You'll most likely fair better buying books yourself and making your own study schedule.

My bet is you will likely benefit from a regular college load of classes. Plus have the added benefit of networking with people who can assist you with career placement.

If you don't want a degree and you don't want any certs, then the other option is to be entrepreneurial and go out on your own! (let your talents speak for itself).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

is wgu in the chicago area or is that Indiana?
    It is at the top of your screen. Scroll up ^

Just below the URL line, but inside the browser window you should see a link.
    Plantwiz
    _____

thanks for all the great info. so what do u recommend as far as basic learning websites to get 1 cert. at this point in my life I can't just quit my job I work full time with weekends off. . I want to try and do both picking up a cert and hopefully finding a company that will let me work for them then in a sense have them pay for it to go to school. at this point I all of this would be out of my pocket.
    I do not think you will find yourself in an unusual spot regarding paying for your own education. In the end, it is an investment in yourself, so I never see why this is a stumbling point for folks...it betters YOU, so ask, "am I worth it?" and if the answer is YES, then find a way.

Dave Ramsey likes to challenge people when they say they cannot save money by asking them if they could come up with $5K in 9 months if they were just told their child would die without out a $5K procedure. You are not allowed to borrow the money, can you find it? And I've never been around anyone asked that question who said they would not make some sacrifices to save up the money.

Good for you that you are working! Again, you will find you are not the only person who works fulltime and manages going to school full time. You have the benefit of weekends off! SO, now you can make your schedule for studies a little heavier on the weekends and evenings.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. You sound like you have a clean slate regarding education and certifications. Now would not be the time to muddy that up by only giving half-effort to both paths. Education (by way of a degree) generally will open more doors for you long-term. If you can prove your skillset and be an entrepreneur than by all means, go that route. However, most folks NEED to have the security of a formal education and the networking benefits of going through that process.

I've never read anything that stated one needs to finish school in 'x' amount of time. But I can assure you, I worked full-time and dual majored with and graduated early. It is possible _ IF one wants to do the work. Would I do it again? Don't know, but I know I wasn't the first to try it and I dare say not the only one on the board who has done it.

Think of education as a marathon rather than a sprint. So you are working and only want 1/2 load of classes...no big deal, you'll just budget for this and plan on a 6-8 year plan of completion. On the other hand, this is one of the benefits of WGU...you pay for the semester and take the many or few classes you think you can finish...maybe one term is easier and you get through more courses...the next term is tougher or you have more personal events happening...you set your pace.

I strongly recommend you jump from this thread over to the WGU threads and read what and how people have handled things, you'll find better answers from those with similar experiences to your own.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____

last question promise. is that wgu online too?
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    WGU is ONLY online, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. Welcome to TE!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
    @chefy79

WGU is online.

It permits adults who are working and/or with busy schedules to complete a degreed program and qualify for better jobs.

So, yes, it is online.
    Plantwiz
    _____

ok, thanks for the quick responses. Now is there any other online schools that anyone would recommend? More options I guess. Is there a comptia school? thanks for any info.
    You can google any of the other options.

Some will be good, some won't.

A good number of members have used and are using WGU because they have a busy life and this worked for their schedule and budget.

Visit this thread (or the other stuck threads)
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu.html

As far as what else is 'good', YMMV I can assure you this topic has been covered at great length in the forums, search for the threads and read what others have said. Some will have similar issues as you, some will not.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a list of accredited schools, go to geteducated.com and degreeinfo.com.

You cheapest option will be an accredited community college. Lots of them offer online courses.