interested in HCISPP, but no documentation

stormgalstormgal Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Only the exam outline is provided, which I have been studying.
Does anyone have another idea as far as studying for a new exam that is recent? Also, is anyone studying for this test?

https://www.isc2.org/hcispp/default.aspx

Comments

• datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not a whole lot of info in the 32-page exam outline, I would be interested to understand where it stands vs. other ISC/2 certs.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably not going to get much in the way of feedback until 4Nov13 and beyond when the first few brave test takers complete the exam. Having gone through the .PDF/bibliography it appears to be pretty complete. If your looking for a basic green book with with some ramblings on various topics - its not there but follows in the same functionality as the past. I found the chapter treatments for the ISSAP to be of minimal value but more stage setting in nature.

The real information was found in the bibliography at the end if the chapters. So in my mind this is just as good as a green book without the hard cover or SME to tell me much of what I already know about the domains involved. Write out all the important disclosure milestones, etc. and you'll really have a good understanding of should be on the test. Know the individual laws and where to find them and you'll have another major piece of the puzzle. Decompile each section like this and I am sure you'd have no problem passing this exam.

Yeah, I am studying, albeit slowly, for the exam. Decompiling the individual sections has been slow but only because some of the reading is at best rather dull. Well, reading law and regulations in particular tends to be a bit of an exercise in sleep control, i.e. cure for insomnia.

Good luck and let us here your experience is/was with the exam. Will do the same here as well.

- B Eads
    Took the test today. Pretty much what you'd expect from the (ISC)2 type of exam. Check my certifications to the left of your screen. Lots of left field questions (What the Hell?); Where'd this come from?; I don't remember this anywhere on the 32 page .pdf! Ugh! And my favorite question: Please pick the least looser of the four (a couple of these). Any answer could be the right answer if given one more detail.

Probably has a number of "test" questions still on the exam and will be sifted out over time or truly added to the study materials. My absolute favorite was listing a technology that no one under the age of 50 would truly recognize off hand. It was on its way out when I was a teen. You've been warned. LOL! Most of it was pretty straight forward if your familiar with the material. What surprised me was how clinically orientated my exam was. Yeah, I suck on some of the clinical orientated stuff but... so what.

Pass/Fail?

No idea. No seriously. Probably passed with room to spare but I was curious to read go to the Proctor's desk for results - Buzzer noise! Please wait 6-8 weeks for results. This is a psychometric exam. This is the third time I will have to wait for results for the third ISC2 exam. Should I not pass I know exactly what to brush up on. Certainly wasn't what I would have thought.

If your really interested in the exam because you currently work in a Hospital position - go for it. Your probably already well prepared if you've been at this for awhile. Can't say much more about the exam without stepping out of bounds on the subject.

To do it over again. I'd wait till first quarter of next year and let the bugs shake out.

- B Eads
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Thanks for the review. Sounds like a challenging exam.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    Chivalry1;

Oh it challenging alright - very complete in its coverage. Are there questions I found challenging? Definitely. Is it a security exam? No, not really. It is a risk management, privacy and ethics exam. Definitely not a concentration but something completely unrelated. If you have a background working in a audit department or compliance at an insurance company, covered entity (yours truly) or hospital - you'd at least recognize most of the exam. If not, well, its a tough row to hoe.

Yeah, should have been a different thread. Kudos to Redz for pointing out the obvious.

- B Eads
  • ntuit1ntuit1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out this dude. Says he's already an HCISPP - Tim Williams M.Inst.ISP, CISM, HCISPP, CISSP | LinkedIn
    ntuit1 wrote: »
    Check out this dude. Says he's already an HCISPP - Tim Williams M.Inst.ISP, CISM, HCISPP, CISSP | LinkedIn

Keep reading. I don't think Tim has been grandfathered in or not. Most of the folks who developed this exam are in the UK. Currently no one has been officially awarded - at least not by exam. A few UKer's have been grandfathered but it appears to be just a couple.
  • alibyaliby Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Keep reading. I don't think Tim has been grandfathered in or not. Most of the folks who developed this exam are in the UK. Currently no one has been officially awarded - at least not by exam. A few UKer's have been grandfathered but it appears to be just a couple.

Since Mr. Williams lists his certification number on his LinkedIn profile, you can validate his ISC2 certifications via ISC2's website. He does indeed have his HCISPP officially, and it was effective November 4, 2013.
    For fear of running out of ***** (llort) biscuits on the topic. Of which I will pick some up at the store this evening for your enjoyment. Here goes. A couple of people who have assisted in the development of the exam have been grandfathered into the certification. I know of no one outside of the UK without looking it up on the (ISC)2 website having been awarded the designation.

Tim Williams, et. al. and I have been exchanging comments and PMs through LinkedIn on the subject. From what I can tell, it appears I maybe the first and perhaps only person in the USA that has taken the exam outright. Hence I get to wait another 5-7 weeks for the results based on what is probably a curve based grading system. If no one does better than myself I will probably be awarded the exam. The audit part is no big deal. I spent 15 years working for a Healthcare 'covered entity' and easily verifiable. If not I can take it again at my leisure, no biggee.

The exam is very international but well thought out with a caveat that there are the usual oddball questions that could be shaken out a bit. Its not aimed directly at HIPAA but more general healthcare, privacy, risk management and the like. Its not a security exam like the CISSP or even the SSCP by any stretch of the imagination. Nor is it CAP as other CISSPs have suggested on the LinkedIn CISSP board. Pure stupidity or ignorance - not sure.

What it really does is frame up a specific need coming out of the British NIH. That's why your seeing so many UK references - the exam is a really big deal for their needs and not so much for the rest of Europe or USA.

Still all in all the exam is interesting if you have a background in the healthcare industry. Very entry level but hardly anything anyone outside of the field is going to pay much attention. Its just an interesting niche exam aimed at just a few people.

Heading back under my bridge now to eat some biscuits.

- B Eads
  • 6502Programmer6502Programmer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I submitted to participate in the development process, but I suspect I got to the station way too late and the train was already on its way out. I sat for the CISSP working purely as a developer, and I was grandfathered into the CSSLP by way of the essays. I'm pretty confident in the HCISPP, which I'll be sitting for on 12/13. I could have done 11/26, but it didn't work for my schedule and 12/13 was the next available slot.

I got to sit at a table with a couple of the exam wonks at an awards dinner at last year's ASIS conference. Absolutely fascinating guys, talking about everything that goes into creating and scoring the tests. I'm bummed to hear that the scoring isn't immediate--I was hoping to get it done and over with in one shot, which is why I'm going before any real formal material is available. Your experience jives with my understanding. I know what an ISC2 exam looks like, so I'm not likely to be surprised there. I've been working for a BA for over five years now, with over three years solely focused on security. Based on the syllabus, if I don't crush this test, I should probably rethink what I'm doing career-wise.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You should read through the HCISPP Candidate Information Bulletin to find out if the HCISPP covers the detailed information you assume it does. It is likely the resources listed in the References section were used to author the actual HCISPP exam items.
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Congratulations! (ISC)² is pleased to inform you that you have passed the Healthcare Information Security & Privacy Practitioner (HCISPP) examination. By successfully passing this examination, you have completed the first of two steps in earning your HCISPP credential. The next step is completing your endorsement process. The final step you need to complete is the endorsement process, which you should do within nine (9) months of your exam date. For more information regarding the time limit of the certification endorsement process, visit www.isc2.org/New-Time-Limit-Endorsement.aspx.

Enough said.

- B Eads
    [/FONT]
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank-you for the congrats. Believe it or not - still have to be endorsed (for the third time). icon_lol.gif
  • tebogo25mtebogo25m Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Beads

what study material did you use as the official study material from ISC2 is not available as yet, i'm currently in the medical field and i'm considering this certification, please assist.
  • brkcitylovebrkcitylove Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Beads Id also like to know any study material used I recently passed Comptia healthcare I.T certification
    The study guide is surprisingly complete and well thought out. Everything needed is there but your going to have to dig a bit. Start reading through all the PDFs then look at the information listed in book form. Much of that is simple Google search stuff and is easily found on the web. You really don't need to buy any books though most of whats listed is in book form - ISO 27000 series information is easy to find. Read and write out your milestones for both NIST and ISO 27000. Know your basic coding (ICD 10), etc. and why they exist. This is really general background information. There will be questions on ethics and general rules of business that your either going to understand or not. There is no real prep for business or ethics questions that will prepare you or not. Thankfully, there are overly heavy handed ethics questions like pulling someone off a ventilator. These questions are at the practioner level not the bio-ethicist with a Ph. D. level of questions. More or less general background/get a sense of what you should know.

Overall keep in mind this is a practioner test not a professional (CISSP) level exam. Review the material throughly without knocking yourself out and you'll do fine. The biggest problem was for me is the same for yourself. I was probably the second person even attempt the exam so no one knew what to expect? At the very least it appears that my test number indicates I am the second person to be awarded the pass. Still waiting on the (ISC)2 to grant the final endorsement, probably this week would be my guess. Then I can change/add to my signature. Yes, eventhough this was done CBT its still a new exam but with the old school rules in place. Patience is a virtue - particularly with the (ISC)2! icon_rolleyes.gif

I wish you folks to wish to study for this exam all the luck in the world. It shouldn't be a difficult exam for most if you have much of any interest in the exam but its still an exam, so treat it as such. Frankly, I was bored to tears taking the HCISPP but a good exam nonetheless.

- B Eads
    Took the exam on 7Nov13, final award with no more than one business day for endorsement, awarded the HCISPP, 14Jan14. Quite the long haul. Hopefully, this timeline will quicken a bit for those who follow. Oh and the really nice part is they are making the payment cycle really easy to remember. Just a $100.00 a year to keep the certification! Isn't that wonderfull? A hundred bucks while my CISSP-ISSAP is a mere $105.00 per year for both!

Its good to be a early adopter! Woot!

- B Eads
  • stormgalstormgal Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Took the exam on 7Nov13, final award with no more than one business day for endorsement, awarded the HCISPP, 14Jan14. Quite the long haul. Hopefully, this timeline will quicken a bit for those who follow. Oh and the really nice part is they are making the payment cycle really easy to remember. Just a $100.00 a year to keep the certification! Isn't that wonderfull? A hundred bucks while my CISSP-ISSAP is a mere $105.00 per year for both!

Its good to be a early adopter! Woot!

- B Eads
    Hey beads,

What do you mean by $100. a year to keep the cert? Are those membership dues?
  • JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stormgal wrote: »
    Hey beads,

What do you mean by $100. a year to keep the cert? Are those membership dues?

Annual Maintenance Fees (AMF) are due every year if you have an ISC2 certification in order to remain in good standing. More on AMFs can be found here.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone use the official study guide from (ISC)2?
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

Only for the ISSAP. Recently did see a coupon for 50% off this month for ISC2 members if that helps.

- beads