Crypto keys

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
Generally when i create an rsa key for ssh i do
"crypto key generate rsa"

The sub menu has different types of keys as per below.

encryption
general-keys
signature
usage-keys

What type of key have i created as default? where would i use these other option?
The description on the cli is too vague, any examples of where to use the different types?
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    General purpose keys use the same key pair for signing and encrypting.
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you generate special-usage keys, two pairs of RSA keys will be generated.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    When you issue the command 'crypto key generate rsa', the default is general-keys which generates one pair of keys for general purposes. The default size is 1024 and this is what you use for SSH. Usage-keys generates two pairs of keys - one for encrypting and one for signing. This can be used when you need two certificates. The encryption and signature keywords are the so called keys for special usage. I haven't really used them so I can't give you the specifics.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.