I CANT FIND A JOB IN NETWORKING! HELP ME!

CISCO2CISCO2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
i am a graduate from a tech school with a diploma as a network administrator, i have my a+ and currently going for my MCSE. Now all the courses i have taken at this tech school known as CDI are A+, WINDOWS XP, WINDOWS PRO, WINDOWS ADVANCED SERVER, WINDOWS NT 4.0, NETWORK+, DOS, TCP/IP concepts, IMPLEMENTING WINDOWS 2000 NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE, DESIGNING WINDOWS 2000 NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE.

Thats all that i have under my belt right now, and i cant find a job anywhere in the networking field. I am from Canada, a province known as British Columbia, and man the IT industry is dead, and every company that is hiring wants 3 years experience or a computer science degree. I spent so much money in this tech school, is a diploma enough to get a good paying job in networking? i need help from some of you guys, what did you do to get into a good career in network administration? or any good computer job, and of you guys have just diplomas and got good paying jobs? help me, i am so stressed out i cant find a job! everybody wants experience, but where does a guy who just graduates with a diploma go! do i have the skills to get payed good?

Comments

• cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    I have the same problem that you do. The fact is that without experience employers may overlook you. What you need to do is take any computer related job you can find. Even though you want to get into networking right away, you may not be able to do that. You may have to settle for a PC technician job just so you can get some experience. After a few years you'll have the experience you need to acquire a job as a network administrator or whatever you're aiming towards.
  • Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same problem that I got, I can't find no networking/IT job here in Sacramento,CA.

I just got my CCNA in July 30th, got AS in Electronics Technology in January 2003, just received another AS in Networking Technology in July 2003 and still haven't found anything. I've looked through all the job sites that I saw from the topic about jobsites here in the techexam forums. Searched through local newspapers, monster.com, dice.com, careerbuilder.com, flipdog.com, sacjobs.com, caljobs.ca.gov, etc. and still can't find NADA!!!

2 AS college degrees, CCNA certification, Computer and Electronic Service Repair certificate from ROP, Level One Telecommunications Installer and can't find a job......I've been applying to anything computer/electronics related and probably will have to do some minimium wage job that isn't computer/electronics related until something comes around, either that or join the military icon_cry.gif

Any advice? thanks
  • Victor_AlfonsoVictor_Alfonso Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, I am on the same boat.
    I have a BS in Telecommunications and CCNA certified.
    Employers are looking at how much experience you have. I've also looked at all kind of sources like newspapers and websites to find a job. No luck.

Trying to get a computer related job as a PC Technician or helpdesk sounds like a good idea.

Another way is networking. At this point is the best way. If you know someone that works in the field, this person may be able to help you out within the company they work for or advice you on how to be successful on getting a job.
    That is what I am doing right now.

Just be positive.

Vic
  • Victor_AlfonsoVictor_Alfonso Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, I am on the same boat.
    I have a BS in Telecommunications and CCNA certified.
    Employers are looking at how much experience you have. I've also looked at all kind of sources like newspapers and websites to find a job. No luck.

Trying to get a computer related job as a PC Technician or helpdesk sounds like a good idea.

Another way is networking. At this point is the best way. If you know someone that works in the field, this person may be able to help you out within the company they work for or advice you on how to be successful on getting a job.
    That is what I am doing right now.

Just be positive.

Vic
    Networking is the best option but unfortunately, I know nobody that work the IT fields. icon_cry.gif

I have a interview tomorrow for a alarm installer, if the pay is good, I'd probably do it until some networking/It job comes around.

good luck everyone
  • kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey webmaster,

with all of this experience and knowledge you have to the point you are hosting this discussion board which covers everything on networking and programming...

what kind of job you have?

just wondering!

kicker
  • CrzyOne01CrzyOne01 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just to try and help out a few of you in search for jobs. For starters if you are looking for somewhere to try for a job that is just a tech position is at some of the large computer stores(a.k.a. Satan) or local repair shops most of them have been getting swamped lately with the after effects of the blaster worm and are desperately seeking people with just an A+ and a willingness to work. For those of you that know someone that works at a large company, have them check the companies intranet for any open positions in IT since most places will post their openings on their intrnet up to an entire month before they post it in a classified. Also for a few web sites to check out computerjobs.com and computerwork.com. And for those of you that live near a military installation of any kind in the U.S. should also check out the web site www.usajobs.opm.gov. Of course nothing can beat giving your resume to as many people as possible and continually(once a week seems to be best) call them back to check on their current IT situation.
  • The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey just start with a few low IT jobs if u can get them and work off the expernce for a better carrer :)
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Just a diploma won't do much. I currently have a diploma saying that I made it through all 4 semesters of the Cisco networking academy, but because I was to lazy to cram and go take the test, I have no cert. The diploma pretty much just says that you showed up and took a class. Without the certs to back it up, diplomas are pretty much useless.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes they may not get you very far. But without a dipoma employers proplbray would laugh at u. I mean to be honest dipomas arnt hard to get at all. With the number of drop outs rising its rather sad. Think if a dipoma doesnt get u much think what a GED would. About the same or less. Well Anyway Expernces and Certs are what ya need. Let them see your well established in computers and have expernce to back it up. Because Expernce is very valuable. Also with expernce u learn stuff that isnt even in books and all.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The sad thing today is that when looking for entry level positions, a diploma, a couple certs and maybe even a degree isn't always enough. Too many employers are asking for at least a year experience in the field (usually building PCs or break/fix experience) just for starters in the networking field. I think sometimes I shoot myself in the foot with some of the questions I ask prospective employers, however I have no wish to start somewhere and find out that they are a pack of amateurs who will not be able to aid in my quest to learn more.

CISCO2 - I suggest that you just perservere with sending out applications and continue to study the areas you are weak. I started sending out applications soon after obtaining my first MCP at the end of last year and continued even while I was doing my current study. Today I accepted an offer to work with a small but very interesting company. They do a range of things including printer and laptop repairs, but the area that interests me is their contract work in the networking field. NT4, W2000, Linux and Netware are all areas I am looking forward to play in
    icon_smile.gif The kicker is that it was my perserverence with applying for several positions there with an acknowledgement in my cover letter that although I am a rookie I pick things up fast and would be happy to start as a trainee on a lower salary. Not only do I get to understudy the head Network Engineer, but they offered me a very respectable starting salary.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    I tried to apply for a help desk position, emails back and forth and now the guy calls me up and asks for actual " 2 years help desk experience" so I didn't even qualify for a help desk position. sad... icon_rolleyes.gif