Comptia A+ Expires?

jamo1jamo1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've heard that the comptia A+ certification expires after three years and new material is brought out? If so does this mean the certification is not valued after the 3 years when it expires?

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is true but if you take a higher level comptia exam and pass it (like network+) it will renew your A+. Same thing applies to that exam...
  • jamo1jamo1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So if I get comptia A+ certified, it will expire and become worthless in three years, unless I take a higher level exam like the the network +.

Also when you say renew do you mean the newer material will become available to me for free, and I have to take the updated exam?
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    You don't need to take a higher level exam, as that is just one option. You just need to fulfill the required continuing education units. For A+, you only need 20 CEU's. You have 3 years from the time of certification to obtain these units. Many activities need to be submitted on a yearly basis to count (ie you can't submit 3 years of work experience after 3 years). View this chart for more examples:

http://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/certification-documents/ceu_activity_chart.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Also, successful completion of the CE Program requires that all the following terms are met on or before the CE Program expiration date.
    • Sign the Continuing Education Program Code of Ethics Policy annually
    • Pay the three-year CE maintenance fees associated with the highest-level certification you intend to renew.
    • Upload all Continuing Education Unit requirements associated with the highest-level certification you intend to renew.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You also do not need to take only CompTIA exams to renew your certs. CompTIA list a battery of exams in which the related cert will give you your 20CUs. CE Program: Renewing Through Other Certifications Simply click on the cert you are intending to renew and see which certs will give you the CEUs relevant to that cert.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jamo1 wrote: »
    So if I get comptia A+ certified, it will expire and become worthless in three years, unless I take a higher level exam like the the network +.

Also when you say renew do you mean the newer material will become available to me for free, and I have to take the updated exam?

Your certification from comptia will be expired. How much of a problem this creates depends on what you are doing. Let face it, in three years you could very well be somewhere that A) Has zero regard for certs and B) in a position that does not require the A+.