Studying for the CCNA

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am studying for my CCNA and I feel like when I am reading the book it is going in one ear and out the other. I mean if I am repeatly doing something I will hook on to it and not forget it. I think because I am reading one topic to the next I am having a hard time absorbing and retaining the information. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Johnie 5Johnie 5 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Visualize that your doing what youre reading in real life. This will trick your mind into remembering the information.
  • dublin_101dublin_101 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if u can, buy some routers and switches....and do labs, labs, and more labs.....you will learn so much from doing the labs...

with theory related information, i always try and relate it to something in real life....this make me remember a little easier.....

ps....sometimes it does feel like it is going out the other ear, but when you do a test you realise that some is remembered.......do regular quizes....also, i personally try and read a little bit every day and not just one big block on one day!...

best of luck!
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    When I was studying for my CCNA, there were times when I often felt as if the material was going in one ear and out the other. However, once I was able to put together my own home lab and worked with the actual equipment, I was able to better visualize how things worked. I often took whatever labs were in the books I was studying from, and would modify them to make them more complicated. Which would force me to troubleshoot and correct any problems I would run into. This solidified what I was learning and gave me more confidence. And if I had a difficult time trying to get a lab to work, I would use a very valuable resource to help me...the people in this forum.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA is also one of those where, unfortunately, you have to remember a lot of facts and figures and standards off the top of your head. Distances, specifications, standards etc. all just did my head in when attempting to study for this. CCNA is not really entry level yet it is required by many entry level positions!
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    strauchr wrote:
    CCNA is also one of those where, unfortunately, you have to remember a lot of facts and figures and standards off the top of your head. Distances, specifications, standards etc. all just did my head in when attempting to study for this. CCNA is not really entry level yet it is required by many entry level positions!

You think CCNA is bad? What till you get to CCNP icon_eek.gif:o
    Now working full time!
  • skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did any of you guys take notes on like a legal pad while your read a study book.? Is that a godd idea to jot down thing important things to remember?
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strauchr wrote:

You think CCNA is bad? What till you get to CCNP icon_eek.gif:o

I have spent way to much time and effor learning all my MS stuff and can't bear to start all over again with Cisco - one reason why I gave up. The other, as you stated, is that it gets worse after CCNA.