PMP Passed - Today

Hey guys just passed the PMP and wanted to share my experiences. This forum helped me set the course for study methods etc...

I used about 6 weeks of prep to pass the exam. I did not study straight through as this method does not work fo rme. I take two weeks off three weeks before the test to let things digest then hit it again the week before the exam. I would have taken the exam earlier but I did not want to pay the $70 with the 30 day window change fee.

I have been doing Project Mangement stuff for about 20 years.

I primarily used the RITA System and read her book about 4-5 times. Three times all the way through and a couple of times I skimed.

I also purchased the PMBOK hard copy. - I was not able to connect to the way the nfo was presented so I did nto use it much.

Andy Crowe - I read through Andy once all the way and skimmed another time. It reall helped simplify the asdvanced way that RITA presents things. I fekt that I 'Got it" after reading Andy.

I read opinions of how people take many different exam prep questions and DB's. I did not go that route. I went through the Oliver Leman once and used the Rita exam prep questions for the rest of my prep.

I also looked at a few you tube videos for process and formula memorization techniques (I used the ones suggested in earlier posts SirGhanttalot and Ed Kroulis). At exam time I wrote them all down but did not need to check anything. I already knew the info. It was more of a safety blanket.

I am a firm believer in take as many questions as you can. Not to memorize them but understand the purpose of the questions and why the answer is correct. I think I took a total of 500 questions until the day before the exam in batches of 20.

I took the exam prep questions by knowledge area (KA) only. I wanted to make sure I understood each area in depth without distractions from other KA groups.

The day before the test I took 50 from each group and scored high 80's on all except cost and quality (78 on both). As I took the practice test I took notes on which ones I got wrong and researched the answers and read the chapter associated. I never took a full PMP or Super PMP.

Exam:

I rate the exam a level of "meh". It was not as bad as I expected. The EVM and "math questions" were straight forward and easy. I think there were about 20. I also had about 10 on commo channels and 20 on H/R and ADM - including stages of the team development.

I did not see many crazy ones and everything I saw had an appropriate answer.

I took 20hrs including the 15 minutes in the beginning that I used for the knowledge ****.

I scored the following:

I: P
P: BP
E: MP
MC: MP
C: MP

It probably could have done better but I am not one for second guessing and reviewing answers.

Overall it was a great and rewarding experience . I learned alot by studying the PMI way. Best of luck to you all on the PMP. As a point of reference the CISSP, ISSMP, CRISC and even SANS certs were harder to master than this exam.

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Congrats. I don't have any experience in PM yet but hope to some day pass the PMP as well.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on achieving PMP! That is an impressive credential to add to your outstanding certifications you have already.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats!!! What cert is next?
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    I am sitting for the CISA on the 14th. That will be the last one until I have to recert my CCNA via the CCDA. After that... I am donesky. Too many CPE or CPU and all that junk.
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • shazbshazb Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI Anthony
    Congrats on passing PMP.
    I notice you are ITIL certified. I am also going for the exam could you please tell me you took ITIL Foundation V3 Or 2011 . I am not sure which version is updated or what is the difference between. and can you guide me which one is the best online training provider for the exam. Or just reading with the book we can pass the exam. How much is the course and the exam cost. And also where to give the exam online or prometric center. And after passing the exam should we receive any kind of ID which state we are certified ITIL...

Please guide me with these info
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    AnthonyF wrote: »
    I took 20hrs including the 15 minutes in the beginning that I used for the knowledge ****.
    Please God, tell me this is a typo. 20 hours?!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol. No, you only get 4 hours to take the exam.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    lol. No, you only get 4 hours to take the exam.

Maybe he sat the test at the North Korean prometric/pearson vue center?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2