Options

I installed a new game tonight

ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
It's better than anything I've played in months. VMware Workstation 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2. Not kidding, I must be getting old, because playing with this stuff is actually fun.

I wonder how far I can go with just 8GB of RAM. Is that enough to install Hyper-V in the 2012 VM and install ESXi in that?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can install ESXi for sure, I dont think you can virtualize Hyper-v though? I remember trying it a while ago and it said I couldnt run it.

When I played this game, I installed ESXi on the physical machine and then nested ESXi inside of it and installed Windows OS guests on VM's running on those nested ESXi hosts. I had 3 nested ESXi hosts (cant remember how much RAM each of them had), and a few Windows guests on them. Sure it wasnt the fastest setup, but it got me by easily for the VCP.

It sure is a fun game!

EDIT: Looks like you can nest Hyper-v inside 5.1 > virtuallyGhetto: How to Enable Nested ESXi & Other Hypervisors in vSphere 5.1
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Yeah, I'm gonna need to bump up to 32GB RAM. Too much fun to be had with this stuff.

edit: In case the picture is too blurry, you can definitely run Hyper-V inside an OS hosted by VMware Workstation 10, just need to tweak the .VMX and enable virtual CPU virtualization features :)

BGVMatf.jpg
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Shouldn't have to edit the vmx, you can do it through settings and just enable virtualization on the processor.