New GNS3

carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
Seems they want $$ for this one. At least to get it early. I am going to check it out and see how much. Sounds like a holy grail, but we shall see.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Got that email, too. Opens up tomorrow. I think charging for the beta makes sense, to me anyway. Just as long as the production version is free. I might buy into it. We'll have to see tomorrow.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would honestly have no problem donating/paying for GNS3 as long as the switch functionality is there. From the looks of it they are working really hard on it so I am confident it will be a success.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    If this is GNS3 with switching, it's pretty incredible timing for me. How do I sign up and what does it cost?
    Its set for early release tomorrow. The finished product is going to be free. Official release date is sometime late 2014
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is the email they sent me:
    [h=2]All we can say is Wow - what a response to the new software.[/h]
    We had over 20,000 people sign up wanting to get access to it - and we want to be able to accomodate everyone.

It is because of this overwhelming demand for it that we have decided to do something different...

We are going to be Crowdfunding the New Version of GNS3 and allow everyone to have access to the Early Release of the New GNS3.

[h=3]Why are we Crowdfunding?[/h] We have realized that the demand for the software is high and we need to bring in the right team of developers to build this software out to the quality you deserve.

GNS3 has become bigger than we have ever dreamed it could be; being used 2,000,000 times every single month, being implemented at Fortune 100 companies and in Tier 1 Universities.

We need to be able to provide a product that is of the highest quality. We know how many of you depend on GNS3 for your studies and for your work. We want to make you an even better networking tool.
    [h=3]What do I get if I contribute?[/h] First off, thanks for wanting to contribute! Secondly, you will get Early Access to the New GNS3 - a year before we release it to the public. We want to be able to reward those who help contribute to the project and this is the best way to do that.

If you would like to use the New GNS3 - with all its new functionality - you will have to contribute to the crowdfunding campaign.

We also have tons of Perks and special Rewards for those who can contribute more.

Be an Early Bird if you want the coolest perks - we have a limited quantity of them so they will go fast.

[h=3]What are you using the money for?[/h] If we reach our goal, we will be able to release GNS3 within 1 year with the new functionality. We will use the money to hire high level developers in order to build a top quality GNS3 software.

But we have bigger plans as well. We want to have a Full Time support team, a FULL training program to help you train easily for your certifications (no more having to buy training from a bunch of different companies - you will just have to use GNS3).

We have budgeted for this and if we are able to meet our stretch goals, we can implement tons of awesome programs and features.

We want to make GNS3 THE TOOL for Networking.

[h=3]How can I Contribute?[/h] Anyone in the world is able to be a part of this. All you have to do is go to NEW.GNS3.NET at 00:01MST on November 20th. Be an Early Bird to get the best rewards!

[h=3]Final Note[/h] This is a community based software - built around our users. We build products that YOU need to build better networks.

It is only with your support that we will be able to create the New GNS3 software. So please contribute to the New GNS3 software - and lets make this happen!

If you have any other questions, please visit the Early Release FAQ

To unsubscribe please click here

Stephen - GNS3
    Box 174, Calgary, AB, T1T 1T1

They just sent out this email. Includes pricing and what you get.

Crowdfunding Levels and Perks - GNS3
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like the 75$ option, since the return on investment for using GNS3 over the last 3+ years of my career has been 0$ in, and 10's of thousands of dollars.

Worth it. Support the software.
    :twisted:
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    If they nail the switching, it will be the holy grail of products for us and worth paying for. I do the majority of my customer designs in GNS3..to add switching into it is icing on the top.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is GNS stable now?

I still prefer my lab, even though I spent loads on it :)

I do have 3750's, so I can use GNS to supplement what I've bought.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got the "Premium Package – Early Birds (First 3500 People)" for $25.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bought into the premium $25 package, which is supposed to give you the same access as the $75 package (training, power of the cloud, etc). I feel that GNS3 is a great tool and don't mind donating to it's continued support and improvements.

Can't wait to try out the new features in February. Hopefully they get it right since there is obviously competition from VIRL/CML and CSR1000v.

Obviously a fall release in 2014 will make the software still applicable to CCNA and CCNP. We're still waiting for the v5 announcement.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like one of the other things they mention, "Integrated IOS images". This suggests they might have done a deal with some of the big vendors.

even more reason to complete me CCNP lol
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the usual link doesn't work, try this one: https://gns3.crowdhoster.com/become-an-early-release-member
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Slipped them $25.00 as well.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well they are 5K from there first target, not bad for a few hours.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Timing is great for me because I start CCNA Sec in February for school which is when I think we get the software. The cloud and scalabilty features seem pretty cool. I wonder if the training included in the premium package will be anything good? I read that they are working on some CCNA/CCNP stuff which again is great timing for me.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
    I gave them $25 too. Can't wait to see the new software. They've busted the 35K mark now. Good deal.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They have $38,162 now. Not bad for 4 hours. They said they had 20,000 interested. Hopefully, they can go over 100K. They deserve it for the years they've supported the product.
  • 64:61:6e64:61:6e Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just got the Premium as well. I figure got my moneys worth already since I used it during my CCNP studies and still use it at work when I want to test something before pushing my changes into production.
    CCIE-DC Written - Q1 2015
    CCIE-DC Lab - Q3/Q4 2015

I as well signed up for the $25 Premium Package. Can't wait till February!
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just signed up for the $25 Premium Package as well. Just finished my CISSP and wanted to start working towards my CCNA and GNS3 seems the go to tool for learning, I'm excited to use it.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I woke at 2 am eastern to get the $25 early bird premium package. Sure enough the website crashed for 9 minutes but I got the deal. I'm paying for it today definitely a coffee morning. Theres still 2025 spots open to get that deal get it while the getting is good.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Premium Package for me! Yay!

They have over $55,000 now
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    Can't believe I woke up so early to get first dibs lol. I was under the impression the early birds would've been all gone within the first 20 minutes.
    @dmarcisco I did the same thing as you and woke up at 2am lol I am regretting it now since so many spots are still open.
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Funny thing, if it was for this very thread, I wouldn't have known of this.

+1 on the early bird package deal, I be back in the states by the time Feb comes around. Another thing to look forward too when I am done with this tour. Lol
    FloOz wrote: »
    @dmarcisco I did the same thing as you and woke up at 2am lol I am regretting it now since so many spots are still open.

Yea same here but no way we could have known. I know I would've kicked myself if I would've missed out. On the time page it said 00:01 11/20 of course the genius in me doesn't take into account the different time zones. So sure enough at midnight I'm at my computer refreshing for 5 minutes until I realized its 2 for me. icon_redface.gif
    Yea I'm going to come off sounding like an infomercial "My loss is your gain!" lol.. Hopefully they raise enough money to do some mind blowing stuff.