Cisco ASDM/MS AD VPN authentication question

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
So I'm not a network guy but I can poke around the ASDM interface to get an idea of what's going on. I'm trying to do cleanup in AD and as of now we have several AD groups that membership grants access to the VPN, however in the ASDM I can only locate one location where groups are specifically mentioned (Remote Access VPN-->Network (Client) Access-->Dynamic Access Policies.)

I don't see any attribute mappings in use so it appears to be controlled through DAP's but there are only 2 AD groups configured and somehow there are other groups in our AD that allow users to access the VPN. I can't figure out where else they would be coming from...I don't think it's RADIUS either.

Any pointers?

ASDM version is 7.1. I've been looking through Cisco docs and on Google but no avail.

TIA

Comments

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    lsud00d wrote: »
    So I'm not a network guy but I can poke around the ASDM interface to get an idea of what's going on. I'm trying to do cleanup in AD and as of now we have several AD groups that membership grants access to the VPN, however in the ASDM I can only locate one location where groups are specifically mentioned (Remote Access VPN-->Network (Client) Access-->Dynamic Access Policies.)

I don't see any attribute mappings in use so it appears to be controlled through DAP's but there are only 2 AD groups configured and somehow there are other groups in our AD that allow users to access the VPN. I can't figure out where else they would be coming from...I don't think it's RADIUS either.

Any pointers?

ASDM version is 7.1. I've been looking through Cisco docs and on Google but no avail.

TIA

From your perspective, DAP is most likely irrelevant. You need to know how they are authenticating and verify which AD groups are in production yes?. RADIUS most likely, so go to Configuration->Device Management->Users/AAA->AAA Server Groups

Here you should see the server group for your NPS/RADIUS server. RDP to your server and go to Administrative Tools->NPS and you will see the RADIUS client being the ASA is in there coupled with network policies and from there you will see the AD groups applied.

Also, post a running-config snippit
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Thanks RMP. Here's the running config of what I believe is the relevant information. I sanitized some of the data, D1 = domain one and D2 = domain two, there is a two-way transitive trust between forests (each domain is in a different forest).
    You need to know how they are authenticating and verify which AD groups are in production yes?
    Yes, this is essentially what I am trying to do.

The DAP's are the only place I see specific AD groups mentioned. Let me know if you need a different/specific part of the config:

dynamic-access-policy-record DfltAccessPolicy
    dynamic-access-policy-record D1-MGMT-ANYCONNECT-USERS
    description "Management Group AnyConnect Users"
    dynamic-access-policy-record D1_STAFF
    description "D1 AnyConnect Users"
    aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius
    merge-dacl before-avpair
    aaa-server RADIUS (SERVER-CORE) host 10.10.10.60
    key *****
    aaa-server D2 protocol ldap
    aaa-server D2 (SERVER-CORE) host 172.17.22.10
    ldap-base-dn OU=Vendors,DC=D2,DC=ORG
    ldap-scope subtree
    ldap-login-password *****
    ldap-login-dn D2\service.asa
    server-type microsoft
    group-search-timeout 300
    aaa-server ORION01 protocol radius
    ad-agent-mode
    aaa-server ORION01 (SERVER-CORE) host 10.40.0.20
    key *****
    aaa-server D1-AD protocol ldap
    aaa-server D1-AD (SERVER-CORE) host 10.40.9.10
    ldap-base-dn DC=D1,DC=ORG
    ldap-scope subtree
    ldap-naming-attribute sAMAccountName
    ldap-login-dn CN=service asa,OU=NoPolicy,OU=Servers,DC=D1,DC=ORG
    server-type microsoft
    aaa-server RADIUS01 protocol radius
    aaa-server RADIUS01 (SERVER-CORE) host 10.40.0.40
    key *****
    no mschapv2-capable
    user-identity domain D2 aaa-server D2-DC7
    user-identity default-domain D2
    user-identity action domain-controller-down D2 disable-user-identity-rule
    user-identity ad-agent aaa-server ORION01
    url-server (SERVER-CORE) vendor websense host 10.40.54.10 timeout 30 protocol TCP version 1 connections 25
    aaa authentication enable console RADIUS LOCAL
    aaa authentication http console RADIUS LOCAL
    aaa authentication serial console RADIUS LOCAL
    aaa authentication ssh console RADIUS LOCAL
    Regarding RADIUS--

I looked at it earlier and the RADIUS server mentioned in the config only has network policies configured for internal wifi and AD authentication to manage the network devices themselves. The NPS is very straightforward and from what I can see is not handling VPN authentication.
    Look at this server 10.10.10.60, it most likely authenticating your VPN users from the looks of this config

description "Management Group AnyConnect Users"
    dynamic-access-policy-record D1_STAFF
    description "D1 AnyConnect Users"
    aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius
    merge-dacl before-avpair
    aaa-server RADIUS (SERVER-CORE) host 10.10.10.60
    key *****

Heh, I totally forgot about that lil guy. He's a D1 legacy RADIUS server who has one more remote access policy than RADIUS01 (other than internal wifi and connecting to devices), and it is aptly titled 'ASA-VPN-Authentication' but it only contains one AD group. So, there still exists other groups in AD that users are members of and somehow connect to the VPN.
    Heh, I totally forgot about that lil guy. He's a D1 legacy RADIUS server who has one more remote access policy than RADIUS01 (other than internal wifi and connecting to devices), and it is aptly titled 'ASA-VPN-Authentication' but it only contains one AD group. So, there still exists other groups in AD that users are members of and somehow connect to the VPN.

How do you know users connect with the groups? Have you tested this or just going off seeing they exist in AD? If they are not defined within the VPN/RADIUS configuration they are not being utilized for authentication.

I know what you're saying and I'll do further testing/poking around. Essentially, I have tested this with AD group membership and there are groups that are not the three found in RADIUS or the two found in the DAP's that grant VPN access. It's a head scratcher.
    Ok, now looking closer you should find your users are authenticating based on the following DAP Group Policy

dynamic-access-policy-record D1-MGMT-ANYCONNECT-USERS

Which in turn uses 10.10.10.60 as the RADIUS server, I would have to look through it myself to say more but I doubt the "DfltAccessPolicy" which is the default group policy is being used and if it is will be providing functionality to end users who do not match the "D1-MGMT-ANYCONNECT-USERS" policy

I checked the current connections and one is using this connection profile:

ldap-scope subtree
    server-type microsoft

It has the base DN so it can do it's LDAP crawl, but this says nothing of group AD specificity.
    I checked the current connections and one is using this connection profile:

ldap-scope subtree
    server-type microsoft

It has the base DN so it can do it's LDAP crawl, but this says nothing of group AD specificity.

That is your authentication method for your VPN users right there. D1-AD is your group most likely

One way to check is to connect to the VPN then on the ASA run the following command

sh vpn-sessiondb detail webvpn

Also, check this out..will help shed some light on this for you

ASA 8.0: Configure LDAP Authentication for WebVPN Users - Cisco Systems

Thanks for the info, I was referencing this for ASDM 7.1:

Book 3: Cisco ASA Series VPN ASDM Configuration Guide, 7.1 - General VPN Setup  [Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager] - Cisco Systems

About to head out for the day, will look more into it tomorrow. Thanks for your help RMP!
    You can also check in ASDM, go to Configuration->Remote Access VPN->AAA/Local Users->LDAP Attribute Map

Give you a GUI to look through

Cheers

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    sh vpn-sessiondb detail webvpn

Or, sh vpn-sessiondb detail anyconnect
    OK the sh vpn-sessiondb detail looks like the CLI equivalent of Monitoring-->VPN-->Statistics, which I was looking at yesterday. I ran the command and it looks like everyone that's connected currently is using the D1-MGMT-ANYCONNECT Group Policy/Tunnel Group. All of these users are in the defined AD group so I'll have to wait for someone else to connect that I know is not in an AD group I've located to see what's going on.

Also as mentioned, there's nothing going on with the LDAP attribute mapping, so it has to be AD group membership, right?
    Alright so...as is often the case with things you should not believe everything you are told. Apparently the ASA is authenticating anyone with domain membership (lol). So I guess I'll be seeing how to lock this down! Thanks for the help y'all.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Alright so...as is often the case with things you should not believe everything you are told. Apparently the ASA is authenticating anyone with domain membership (lol). So I guess I'll be seeing how to lock this down! Thanks for the help y'all.

Was going to say that earlier but didn't want to be wrong. I think it's getting that from these lines since it is very top level:

ldap-scope subtree
    Well, true and false. The base-dn is where it starts its search, and subtree allows it to walk down all OU's (vs. one-level). I'm working on redesigning the AD tree to be more inline with best practices. If the ASA was configured as I was told it should be specific group membership to connect to the VPN. Then there are the ACL's that do network restrictions, but...I'm looking at locking this all down as well.