Options

difficulty for novice?

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I know you probably see this a lot but here's my question/backround. I went to a tech school and learned basic computer networking and information systems I have net+ and MTA: network fundamentals certs. I have been working on a help desk for about 2 years doing basic PC troubleshooting(never worked with servers). My main question is how hard is this for someone who never worked on servers? my plan is to do a lot of labbing if i decide i want to go this path.

My dream job would be to be a system admin, deploying servers, troubleshooting servers and just work with servers all around.

thank you everyone.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you have no direct server OS experience then you are not starting from scratch because a lot of troubleshooting PC's carries over to servers, especially physically.

You will need to lab extensively. It will be a difficult journey but that's why you take it one test at a time; it's metered progress. Nothing in life that's worthwhile is easy so invest in yourself and your future.
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice, i was reading that the test will include R2 in january, do you think i should wait for updated material to start studying? or should i just go for it now?
  • Options
    topcat007topcat007 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go for it now and just read the tech net articles on new r2 content that's what I'm doing no time to loose
  • Options
    good point...thank you and good luck!!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The R2 content will most likely be additive and very little derivation from R1 so I agree to start studying now and then review the changes for R2.