Failed 70-640...again

unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got back from the testing center. Failed this test for the 3rd time.

1st attempt-256
2nd attempt-444
3rd attempt-655

I am so discouraged by this exam. I won't give a lot of details on the exam but I will say that the final 19 questions were either on CS, RMS or FS. That was the difference. I was strong in everything but Configuring Roles and Services and Certificate Services. Really bummed about this.

I have the Second Shot so I'll schedule the retake for 2 weeks from today and study up on CS and the other roles . If anyone has any tips on how to lab for this kind of stuff I'm all ears and they would be much appreciated.

Comments

• geekbossgeekboss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What resources did you use? Did you use Microsoft press books and do all of the labs?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "No pain, No gain". Best of luck for your next time icon_thumright.gif
  • tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is far from an easy test due to the wide scope it covers in detail. I know when I was working on it I pretty much went through the labs in the book but then just did a lot of digging and clicking around into things that went uncovered just to see what I could break. Despite all that, I still sucked at the cert services stuff.

You've steadily made progress on all 3 attempts so that's a good thing. 4th time's a charm! :D
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    geekboss- I did study the MS Press book as well as a few others. Admittedly, I did not go through all of the Cert labs in the MS book. I also watched the Trainsignal (now Pluralsight) videos. In my opinion, there's not nearly enough detail about certificates in any resource that I've studied to do well in that section. I'm just going to have to lab it up and teach them to myself. I also found some videos on YouTube that I think might be useful.

After having the weekend to think it over, I am a lot less discouraged now. I only missed a few questions outside of the Roles and Certificates categories. If I can learn those over the next few weeks then I am very confident that I will pass with a good score.
    unfbilly11 wrote: »
    geekboss- I did study the MS Press book as well as a few others. Admittedly, I did not go through all of the Cert labs in the MS book. I also watched the Trainsignal (now Pluralsight) videos. In my opinion, there's not nearly enough detail about certificates in any resource that I've studied to do well in that section. I'm just going to have to lab it up and teach them to myself. I also found some videos on YouTube that I think might be useful.

After having the weekend to think it over, I am a lot less discouraged now. I only missed a few questions outside of the Roles and Certificates categories. If I can learn those over the next few weeks then I am very confident that I will pass with a good score.

You have to lab, that's just how our brains work. We have to do something to learn it, reading isn't enough! :D How long did you study the MS press book? That's all I'm studying for now, about 4 hours a day at work. Hoping to take the test around march.
    I read the MS press book cover to cover and took notes. I did mostly all of the labs but also kind went on my own. I have a home network set up with Virtual Box. I have 6 VMs on there that span 2 forests and 3 domains. I have one RODC and one install of server core. I guess it's probably no secret as to why I did very well on everything except for what I DIDN'T lab. icon_redface.gif

I think someone could get by on JUST the Press book alone if you knew everything in it really well, but I wouldn't recommend it. Certificates and the other roles are not detailed in it so if you get a lot of questions on that and haven't labbed (aka: like I did) it will be hard to pass.
  • dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed the 70-640 3X before passing it on the 4th attempt, it's one of Microsoft's hardest exams.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The book is in no way sufficient for this exam. You will need to lab and study technet, there are many good postings with tons of resources in this forum
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I agree, any one book is never enough for these exams (except maybe the client configuration exam). I always supplement with either technet articles, various google searches and labing the crap out of the exam objectives.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    An observation: I've been a firm believer in reading the TechNet library and developer blogs for a long time. Recently I ran across even better technical material: videos from previous Microsoft Tech-Ed conferences (google it) and Microsoft's Virtual Academy JumpStart sessions (1 or 2 day events viewable online for free). Check them out.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check out those videos. I feel very comfortable with everything but CS. I've just been studying up on that section. I bought the Transcender exams with the 40% off promotion that they're running now. These seem really good. Very similar to the actual test.

I have my retake scheduled for Friday so I'll post an update after I take it.
    Just an update... I failed this test again this morning with a 625, 30 points lower than last time. I am going to take some time off from testing. I have studied for this thing nonstop for months now and I am feeling really defeated after today. I will take my 5th attempt at this thing sometime after the new year.
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    Sorry to hear that. I was originally planning on taking it this month but I'm pushing it back because I haven't been in the books as hard lately with other things going on. My closest testing center is 50 miles away which kinda stinks as well. There was one 20 miles closer but it no longer shows up on the Prometric website icon_sad.gif
    :lol:
    Oh man, I'm really thinking about forgetting this test. Seems impossible to pass for everyone on here. You can only take it five times before you have to wait another year.
    Take some time off. I did the same thing after my 3rd failure with a 655. I literally could not think of one question i was lost on - yet i obviously didn't know the material if i missed over 30% of the exam.

Take time off, relax and after a few weeks reassess what you want to do. I wouldn't suggest giving up on the exam, but rethink your approach. Realize it's just a test, study at your leasure and study to take in the material, not to pass the exam. This is the realization i came to a about two months back when i failed my exam with the 655. I was so pissed, but after some thinking I realized it's literally just a test. There is no reason to rush or put yourself under undue stress and pressure for a test. Relax, enjoy life - it's entirely too short to sweat stuff like this (my realization over the past few months).
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    Take some time off. I did the same thing after my 3rd failure with a 655. I literally could not think of one question i was lost on - yet i obviously didn't know the material if i missed over 30% of the exam.

Take time off, relax and after a few weeks reassess what you want to do. I wouldn't suggest giving up on the exam, but rethink your approach. Realize it's just a test, study at your leasure and study to take in the material, not to pass the exam. This is the realization i came to a about two months back when i failed my exam with the 655. I was so pissed, but after some thinking I realized it's literally just a test. There is no reason to rush or put yourself under undue stress and pressure for a test. Relax, enjoy life - it's entirely too short to sweat stuff like this (my realization over the past few months).

Some people are probably trying to obtain certs quick so they can get a better job... Like me. so for some it's not just a test.
    I get that, but giving yourself an ulcer over a test isn't worth it. I originally started going down the MCSA path for a job as well, i get it. I'm just saying that relaxing and taking some time to reflect can do a person good.
  • Robertson, JRobertson, J Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    unfbilly11,

Sorry to hear about your failure. ( I'm new hear just found TechExams while at work. I noticed some really great people here and figured I'd let your thread be my first official post. :) ) Keep up the hard work, I also use plural sight for additional training. As previously has been said take a break if you have the time and then reassess the situation afterwards. I know for an interview, I'm finishing for Exchange Admin position how intense it can be when studying non-stop.

Sincerely,
    Robertson, J
    Thanks everyone. It does help to know that a lot of others have had similar experiences.

Lexluethar- Your first post was dead on. I got a 655 last time and I was really baffled to see how I did in some of the sections. Only about 70% I'd guess in DNS and Maintaining the AD Environment, which I am most confident in. There wasn't one question on there that I didn't know exactly why other answers were wrong. But, like you said, I'm missing over 30% of the exam so i'm obviously missing something. I won't give up on this exam. I do need it for work but I already have the job and they are supportive, so I will probably take a couple weeks off until after the holidays to clear my head.

I wouldn't want anyone to NOT take the test based on my story alone. It's definitely a passable test. I'm only 50 points or so away and I've had to learn everything on this exam because I have no experience with AD outside of creating users and resetting passwords. Also realize that I have only had 2 real cracks at this. I was really unprepared the first 2 times but was on a schedule with my boss so I just took it knowing I wasn't going to pass (work was paying so why the heck not go and try!?). Study a lot and LAB EVERYTHING POSSIBLE and try not to get too frustrated when they ask you about windows mobile 6 devices icon_rolleyes.gif
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfbilly11,

You might want to look at a couple of the MTA exams. Specifically the Server administrator one. I know that feeling that comes with not passing these tests and some times you need a little bit of positive results to help you push to finish this.

The 640 Should have more then prepared you to take the MTA exam, I know its not on the same level as the MCTS but a little good news and a pass can go a long way in helping you find that motivation to keep going.
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry about the bad luck. This test is a real bear. With almost two years of working on Server 2008 R2 on a daily bases, I almost failed it. This test covers a huge area of information, and deals with technologies that many of us will never see.

In addition to labbing, I suggest heavy use of Technet. Also, you can download study guides I posted on here a while ago. The information in my study guides are from other study guides, CBT Nuggets, Technet, and other places. They helped me and many have said they helped them as well.

Good luck next time, you are getting very close. I believe with the added resources, you will pass next time.

--hank
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• vhunt333vhunt333 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain UnfBilly11 I've failed this exam 3 times as well. My first two was I was totally not prepared as I thought I was. I took an MS course for the exam but was not much help. I failed the test this pass Monday with a score of 522. I already paid for my next exam with second shot voucher in hopes of passing by April. The 70-640 is more challenging than I expected. I'm taking a break until next year then will get back in the lab. Good Luck!