Problems studying for Linux+ LX-101

maliasmalias Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, first post, long time lurker.

So I'm finding that I am having extraordinary difficulty preparing myself for the LX-101 test. I feel like I have resorted to having to cram every command and flag/option under the sun to prepare for this exam-I'm finding it to be much less enjoyable then the prep I did for my Cisco certifications as those were much more hands on style certifications-I studied for those primarily through labbing with physical gear.

I'm taking the course through WGU and am preparing using LabSim's test out-their practice exams seem to revolve around mostly identifying commands and a variety of options/flags. As such, I've been going through the course and writing down notes for the commands they introduce along with the bulk of these options. It feels impractical to memorize all of these options..but from what I know about the exam, its all fill in the blank/multiple choice style test.

I've been working on entering the commands in at the cli to enforce the learning of these various commands, but I seem to continuously forget several of these different options-some of them are just not very intuitive. I feel abit lost here in how to go about preparing for this-any recommendations for getting the command options to stick (or insight as to just how many of these options I'm supposed to remember for each command?)

Comments

• southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I feel the exact same way. I too feel like this is very different from Cisco prep. I am glad that I am learning Linux, but I can't wait to get back into Cisco (Security to be exact). I feel like I am going about it wrong learning 10+ options for every command. I guess it doesn't feel all that practical. I am using the Transcender flashcards but haven't taken the practice exam yet. I have read a lot, and I also have flashcards made. I really want to take this exam and get it over with.
  • The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I can feel your pain... however, do understand that you will not need to know every option for every command. And, the only real way to learn Linux in my own opinion is to actively use the CLI and enter commands.

Make sure you have the objectives for the Linux+ exam and practice those objectives over and over. There are way too many Linux commands and options to memorize. You want to focus on the ones which will be needed to complete the objectives.

It's funny how you stated studying for Cisco was easier. CCNA is currently my next goal and I get intimidated just by the vast amounts of material I need to read. For me, Linux+ was more doable. :)
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I am trying to go above and beyond with the command options. Maybe if I narrow them down to just what is required to accomplish the main objectives? For example I am looking at 12+ options for rpm. btw Does anyone know if the Transcender exam is close enough to the real thing?
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also feel that it's difficult to study for the exam because of all the options for the the different commands. I've been trying to learn as much as possible but it seems like it just takes so long.
    I spent about a year learning the A+ material. I think that it'll be the same for the Linux+ because I plan on taking both exams about the same time.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I found using Linux as my main desktop os helped a lot with remembering the commands.. Because you get a lot more exposure to actually using the commands day to day rather than sitting and remembering which is much more difficult because there is to many. You Need to use them.

I just got a new Mac book pro so I'm stuck with Mac until someone writes a nice guide on getting Linux to work on the new hardware but some commands still work.. Example I regularly move and copy files from my mac to my xbmc over my network using scp etc..

Im studying for my 102 at the moment so I'm spending a lot of time in my Virtual machines setting up email, Apache, SQL, users etc.. I find this helps me to remember the command option by repeatedly doing the hands on activities from my various resources.
  • maliasmalias Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys. As far as the CCNA vs Linux+-I feel that the CCNA was more conceptually difficult, but the material was far more engaging-I found it enjoyable to read cisco technical manuals, RFC's, and of course feeding my addiction of expanding my cisco lab at home..up to 12 routers, 3x L3 switches, 5x 2950's, an ASA 5505, and a IPS 4260 now..and 2x dell c1100's for esxi servers with 72GB of ram each and a 8TB NAS lol. And I finally got a nice 45U rack to put it all in. So I definately have the hardware to setup Linux labs in but this first LX-101 seems more about rote memorization of commands then actually configuring anything substantial. I'm looking forward to the LX-102 material as it looks like I'll actually get to start configuring some services.

I use linux primarily on my work computer and my home computer, as it makes scripting my network tasks significantly easier, but this material is definitely making me feel like an end user icon_redface.gif. I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would use the bulk of these commands on a day to day basis. I really think its just a lack of context, or how to create labs to apply these different commands. I ended up just printing out the labsim fact sheets and then one by one going through the commands, using the man page to learn more about commands I felt the text didn't give much description about..its just slow going.

Took a practice test oriented solely at the commands, and I'm starting to recall them better..I finally have the common options for the tar command down :)
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To the OP

I have passed this exam and recently took a job as a junior linux admin (after many years in Windows). Step 1 in learning the exam is using Linux as a desktop & having a practice server (pure command line). Unlike some Comptia exams, you can't just memorize Linux stuff. You need to be hands on, all the time. When I was studying I never turned on my Windows laptop.

I have my CCNA as well and you'll find you need to be hands on all the time to study it. Once you get the commands in your head, you'll never forget them. You'll have dreams of commands like ls icon_wink.gif.
  • maliasmalias Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I kept working in Labsim and in my VMs until I felt confident enough to book my exam. I was slightly concerned with the large amount of commands and options and keeping everything straight, however I passed this afternoon. Without breaking NDA, all I have to say is the labsim practice exams seemed rather extreme compared to the exam itself. Now to continue onwards towards LX-102, which looks significantly more interesting to me. I've already been working with (and enjoy) bash scripting so I'm looking forward to more studying in that area.

For those interested, I worked primarily with labsim, a book called Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification by Jason W Eckert (had it from a Linux course I took previously at school) and two VM's-Fedora and Debian, and it took me about three months until I felt confident enough to take the exam.
    Congratulations mate! Great result!

Good luck with the 102. It is more fun to study and a more difficult exam imo
  • The TechnomancerThe Technomancer Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get frustrated that you can't remember flags and options. This is what man pages or <command> --help is for.

This is also why I really dislike certification exams. In the real world, you have Google. In the testing room, you're lucky if you get man pages.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Don't get frustrated that you can't remember flags and options. This is what man pages or <command> --help is for.

This is also why I really dislike certification exams. In the real world, you have Google. In the testing room, you're lucky if you get man pages.

I totally agree with you regarding the real world. There is plenty I have implemented, but when asked to do it again, I have to go back to notes. Same with commands. There are many I seldom use, but if I get stuck, I look it up. Not that it stops me from doing my jog.
  • atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if it will help anyone else. I haven't started studying for linux+ yet, but I did spin up a server at digitalocean to plug away and explore the CLI. It's 5 bucks a month to leave the server on 24/7 or 0.007cents a hour.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing 101.

It can be frustrating trying to remember everything. As mentioned by others, it makes a difference to do hands on practise.
    Scan through the exam objectives and keep an eye on the weighting as it gives an idea of how heavy you will be tested in that area.

Wish you all the very best with the 102
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Rather than learning all the individual flags, start to say them aloud and group them based on usage & purpose. When you learn what they stand for (ex: is -i inverse or include?) and memorize/categorize/group them that way, they become a lot easier to understand. This also translates to Windows/Cisco CLI. A lot of times I can look at a flag/multiple flags and guess what they do just based on common representations of that flag/option.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Just started studying for this one and I'm definitely having trouble getting going. Seems like I am instantly not grasping the info. I guess there is no easing into this one. Its gonna take some serious work and labbing to commit this stuff to memory. I think I will end up watching a bunch of videos then circling back around to the book. Hopefully things will make more sense that way. I'm gonna take a look at the Nuggets and Trainsignal (Pluralsight) videos.
    You also have udemy and linuxcbt for Linux training videos.
    Bryzey wrote: »
    You also have udemy and linuxcbt for Linux training videos.

Thanks, for mentioning these two. I'll add these to the list of videos to check out.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got the Udemy videos from LinuxAcademy.com and about 25% through them. Really enjoying them so far. I'm also using Sybex study manual for the course.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Lots of good advice in this thread! I did like the Udemy videos they were well done. Also currently building my own.

The DigitalOcean suggestion was good too. You can't go wrong for $5 a month if you don't have the hardware to spin up VMs locally.

As most people mentioned practice makes perfect and you really need to use Linux 24/7 for a while in order to get more comfortable and the commands will start to sink in. Another suggestion would be go check out howtoforge.com and run through as many of the tutorials as you can. Just by configuring services and setting things up you'll become more comfortable all around.

Plus you know the community here is awesome if you get stuck too icon_wink.gif
  • DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also working on the LX0-101 through WGU. Also, I have no experience with Linux at all. The fact that i have always used the Windows command prompt at all of my previous jobs I feel like I'm a little lost in the commands being so different. I have been reading and watching the lab sim videos. I just find Linux doesn't hold my attention as well as all of the Cisco classes. I don't know what to do to make it more engaging. I was thinking about downloading a version of Linux and running it on my parallels to see if that would hold my attention any better.

But over all I understand having the struggles of studying for this exam.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    I was thinking about downloading a version of Linux and running it on my parallels to see if that would hold my attention any better.
    Do this! Linux is so much fun. The Linux+ manages to take all fun out of Linux by making it all about memorization. Keep a file of the commands you use frequently and don't be afraid to use the man command or the --help command.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will throw in my two cents as I developed the Linux Passion a few years ago Best way to learn? get hands on take notes fire up that command line and get busy, Below are a list of resources which I think may help you

Linux Command Line Introduction

The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction: Amazon.co.uk: William E. Shotts: Books

LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.

If you are knew to Linux then I urge you to read the above book, It is Noob friendly and is very informative the section on Bash scripting is excellent, the author walks you through setting up a program and gradually introduces gradual steps i.e variable declaration - for loops highly recommend this book!

Ok so you have worked through that book now what?

Grab yourself a cup of tea, navigate to the following website and print off all the exercises stick them in a binder and work through them [ Learn Linux The Hard Way ]

Your will become a ninja and learn how to master stuff like VIM, environment variables and some cool stuff

llthw - *nix spellbook

For Server configuration if your like myself and like Red Hat and want a easy to follow book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CentOS-6-Linux-Server-Cookbook/dp/B00GQ5ZIRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390419313&sr=8-2&keywords=centos+cookbook

You cannot go wrong with this either

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Enterprise-Linux-Administration-Administrators/dp/1118301293/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1390419350&sr=8-8&keywords=red+hat

For Bash scripting the best resources I think are

Bash Guide for Beginners

Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Blum, Christine Bresnahan: Books

Those are the best resources I have used over the years, I have also read alot of documentation and books that to put it blunt suck! they over over-complicate matters!

The Linux+ Roderick Smith book I didn't like it skips around to much and is like watching paint dry trying to read it :)

Hopefully you will find some of the resources I have posted useful
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    ally_uk, thanks for the additional resources, its greatly appreciated.

I'm slowly making some progress. I have decided that the trainsignal/plural sight videos are not that helpful, and I found myself constantly falling asleep while watching these videos. The CBT Nuggets videos seem to be more engaging to me. I'll probably check out the udemy videos soon along with the additional resources given by ally_uk.

Out of all the Linux+ threads this one seems to have some really good and helpful info. Thanks to everyone who has added to this.
    ally_uk wrote: »
    The Linux+ Roderick Smith book I didn't like it skips around to much and is like watching paint dry trying to read it :)

lol I have to strongly agree with that. The book isn't terrible if you can get through it, but logically it doesn't follow a smooth flow. One day I'll re-write this book myself icon_wink.gif
    Nightshade you should write a Linux Administration for Noobs book :) teach people how to configure services and do basic scripting and stuff that would be awesome I would buy it

Roderick smith book sucks Your right aswell it does not flow well at all there is a huge gap in the market for easy to follow and understand documentation especially for users who make the transition from windows a Recipe format Linux+ book would be awesome

ally_uk wrote: »
    Nightshade you should write a Linux Administration for Noobs book :) teach people how to configure services and do basic scripting and stuff that would be awesome I would buy it

Working on it.

Progress is slow going at the moment, but I'll get there....stupid day job! icon_wink.gif

I actually have around 2 years worth of content that I'm trying to get posted/published. Guess I should publish that list somewhere and get feedback on what should take priority. The TE community is also very helpful in determining what topics are in demand currently.
    Do it :) seriously so much interesting subjects you can write about aswell, Like SAMBA, APACHE, Basic Admin, FTP, And using Linux to Fix hosed windoze boxes you should create that thread though and find out what kind of subject matter people are interested in.

• sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently reading Roderick Smith's book and I have to say that I completely agree with what NightShade03 and ally_uk have said about this book. The book mentions a command/option in one chapter that is than covered only later on in another chapter. I've also found the lack of examples and practice questions to be another sour point about this book icon_sad.gif

I also have to say that I find it quite amusing about the general lack of good quality material (in terms of books mostly) that cover the LPIC 101/102 exams. Apparently, as one progresses to more advanced LPIC certs (201, 202, etc), the situation only gets worse.

Geez, why can't anything concerning Linux be easy!! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • gshaw0gshaw0 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just stumbled across this thread via Google, glad to know it's not just me feeling the same pain!

The problem I've had so far is finding prep questions that are:

a) accurate i.e. not 10 year old information e.g. about X that doesn't reference X.org
    b) easy to use, some of the free prep websites are either horribly designed, slow or don't work properly
    c) give you feedback, no point telling me I got 25 questions wrong if I can't see which ones they are or explain what the correct answer is

I've been attempting to read through the Roderick Smith book which was going well until work projects ramped up a notch or two and when I come home I haven't got enough mental energy left to do study as well icon_sad.gif

For those who have done the exam how do the practice questions from the Roderick Smith materials match up? They seem a bit too easy compared to some of the hellish questions I've had online (type the whole command with all switches for some random situation you'd very rarely need in day-to-day operations etc).

Either way my Comptia voucher expires in April so will have to go for it by that point whether I'm ready or not!
    I'm glad to hear that many people are coming to the same conclusion on this. While LPIC 1 and LPIC 2 aren't the only Linux certification game in town they are certainly the only ones targeted at entry level users. The frustration that others are feeling and the lack of reasonably priced, quality materials is what drives me every day to work harder at teaching and producing my content.

I want to do for this community what Lynda.com, Railscasts, CodeSchool, Learnable, PluralSight, etc. did for the Web Development community :D