What a drag! Clare Gough's BCSI really sucks

the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
Just got this book to start my CCNP. After like 30 pages, I have to ask me, what am I doing to myself? I found no fun in reading tech books, and this is not me!

I'm not seeking a reference book which puts point 1 2 3 together, I'm just a new-coming CCNA. I need a book which uses interesting sentences and thought-provoking metaphors to explain new stuff. Like Todd Lammle's CCNA. It's a pity his newest CCNP book is in 2002.

Some buds in the forum recommended Catherine Paquet's, but the newest I can get on Amazon.com is printed in 2003. Is it already out-of-date? what else? what about sybex? but I heard someone's complain about it.

really need some help here.

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    p
    I wouldnt really worry about books being out of date, the technology is the same and hasnt changed.Basically you need to know your IGPs,basic bgp, IPv6 and nat.Along with these technologies i advise learning FR well.All this information is available on the cisco website so why not work with the cisco press book you have and when it gets boring look for the relavent files on cisco.com which are generally a nice read.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    I wouldnt really worry about books being out of date, the technology is the same and hasnt changed.
    It depends. Tests and technology have changed, more for some than others. If you try to use a net+ or A+ book from 2002 for a test in 2006 you're going to come up a long ways off. I think CCNA may be a little safer, and not sure about CCNP. Linux+ from 2 years ago is different too. I'm not saying that none of the information in a 3 year old technology book is useless, but if it is only 70% similar you may not pass the exam. My 2 cents... for free.
    :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    madonion wrote:
    Some buds in the forum recommended Catherine Paquet's, but the newest I can get on Amazon.com is printed in 2003. Is it already out-of-date? what else? what about sybex? but I heard someone's complain about it.
    The best book is still Paquet & Teare. The exam blueprint has changed in the last year, but all the information is still in the Cisco Press Books..... I used the Sybex Complete CCNP Study Guide to replace the Gough book. I still read the Gough book, but my eyes just sort of glazed over after a while.

The Sybex book is okay -- I just wouldn't recommend it as the primary study book unless you have been doing Cisco stuff for while and have seen and done most of the stuff already. Its a great review book, but since its focus is limited towards the exam, its more likely to go "out of date" as the exam blueprints change.

If you can identify any area you are weak on, or that the books are weak on -- then the Online Documentation or the Doc CD is also a good place to check.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
    thanx for everyone! especially Mike, your advice was really helpful on CCNA lab hassles. I appreciate it.

I'm gonna go to St Louis University bookstore to try my luck today. Barne&Nobles and Borders just don't have enough tech books.
  • the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
    any other recommendation? the more info, the better search.
    madonion wrote:
    any other recommendation? the more info, the better search.
    Oh... I always forget the Practical Studies books. The Paquet/Teare book does have "Configuration Exercises" which may be enough "hands-on" -- easily covers anything that could get thrown at you in the exam.

The Practical Studies book has "Senarios" which are more complex... but also has the commands and output, so its still useful if you don't have a lab to actually do them. I used it.... but I will also admit it may be "overkill...." I'm going back through all of them again to brush up for studying for the CCIE Lab exam.

It might hit the 90's here today in the Chicago 'burbs..... sigh, I could use a Ted Drew's Concrete Shake......
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    You say the best book for CCNP is the teare book. I have the Doyle Volume 1, is there anything wrong with this? or is it just the fact that it may be more then needed for the CCNP exam?
    Now working full time!
    You say the best book for CCNP is the teare book. I have the Doyle Volume 1, is there anything wrong with this? or is it just the fact that it may be more then needed for the CCNP exam?
    Well... its always good to have multiple sources. :D

And its good to know which books to avoid.... not to name any names (hint: look at the subject of original post).

To cover all the topics on the exam blueprints, you should get all the books recommended by Cisco Press..... but they are separate from the Cisco, and they sell books to make bucks -- so for them -- the more you buy, the bigger bonus they can give the executives.

It is easier (somewhat) when you study from the book written to the specs for the exams.... As the blueprints for the exams change, it seems like they stay within what they have outlined for the self-study book authors (the self-titled volumes, the exam certification guides, and the practical studies books). That's why a lot of people will suggest or recommend the Cisco Press books. Most of them may be dry, and some may be boring, and one or two may suck big time.... but they usually cover all the material needed for the exam.

Doyle.... well.... we refer to it by the author's name..... including the 2nd volume where he had help. It's a classic. It's a GREAT BOOK.

Does Doyle have all you need to pass the BSCI exam? Probably. Does it have more than you need? Definitely! Is it missing a few trivia questions that may have been covered in the CCNP Self-Study Series books -- probably. Does it matter which you use. Maybe.

It really just comes down to comparing the blueprint against the table of contents for all the books (might be able to do it on amazon).... and fill in from the Doc CD (online documentation).

If you re-phrase the question to "will I pass the BSCI exam using only the Doyles, the blueprint, the doc cd, and as much hands-on I can beg, borrow, or steal" -- the answer is yes. :D
    Well I will purchase this book as well, it seems lately I have been spending a small fortune on books icon_king.gif I think it would be better as well to purchase the self-study the follows the exam blueprints. I will use doyle as a back up for now :)

thanks for the advice!
    Now working full time!
  • blessedmeblessedme Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Please could you advise on area to master very well for the exams
    Thanks
    blessedme wrote:
    Hi,
    Please could you advise on area to master very well for the exams
    Thanks

The blueprint? ...