Did not pass 70-410

practicinghumanpracticinghuman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well... I took the 70-410 on Saturday and missed passing by 630/1000 (in the words of Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much!").

I was a shooter in Group Policy, which is where I spend a lot of time at work, but I did not do well in Configuring Server Roles and Features, Configuring Hyper-V, and Deploying and Configuring Core Network Services.

I prepared with the Sybex MCSA study guide, Craig Zacker's Exam Ref 70-410, the excellent index here on the forum (70-410 TechNet & Other Resources), TechNet, and Transcender, which I got pretty good results in after a couple of dozen practice tests.

Any recommendations on quality lab exercises for those three sections I mentioned? We run 2012 on a couple of laptops at work so I am able to use those for practice.

Love this site! Thanks for all the great contributions and advice! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would check out a video series by either CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight. They go over the initial installation and configuration quite extensively. Also, I would try installing and configuring server core. This would tick the PowerShell boxes and help you get very familiar with all of the pieces that need to be in place since it's not spelled out with a GUI. And I would switch between core and full GUI at least once "for the experience."
  • eric281eric281 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually passed 70-410 Friday with a 700. I used Sybex and CBT Nuggets. Saturday I took 70-411 and got an 850. Makes a lot of sense, I do a lot more administering servers than I do installing and configuring new ones. Taking 70-412 today, and don't think I'll pass, but going to give it a shot.
    WGU BS IT - Network Design & Management - Start date - 01-01-2014 - As of 3-24-2014:
    X-ferred: AHV1, TBP1, EBV1, AIV1, AJV1, BVC1, COV1, CSV1, CTV1, CWV1, DEV1, DHV1, EAV1, FEC1, EYC1, EOC1, EHC1, CRV1, DPC1 (59 cu)
    Completed: CLC1, WFV1, AGC1, GNC1, CIC1, CUV1, TPV1, GAC1, BOV1, CJC1, IWC1, IWT1, UBC1 (41 cu) Skipped: EUP1, EUC1 (3cu) Current Courses: UBT1, CDC1 (4 cu) Courses Left: CDP1, TCP1, TJC1, TJP1, SBT1, RCT1 (14 cu)
  • SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please let us know how the 412 went, eric281. I'm actually very curious as to how you specifically prepared for the tests. Passing 2 tests in back to back days is extremely impressive to me. I just passed the 410 this past Saturday, and am starting to prepare for the 411 tonight. Was hoping to be complete all 3 before the year closes out.

In regards to the 410, all I can say is know Powershell to the best of your ability. Understanding the common commands help greatly when using the process of elimination for questions. Subnets got the best of me the first time as well.
  • eric281eric281 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    775. I was able to pass them quickly mainly because it's what I do for a living. I've been a window sysadmin for about 12 years, and took NT4 classes back in college. I have lots of servers in production, and setup a VM host at home to work on labs. Add in the CBT nuggets videos and their practice tests, and I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on it. I wanted to spread out the tests a little longer, but I am starting WGU in January, and my transcripts for transferring credit have to be in by November 1st. Once I figured out that MCSA 2012 was worth 39 CUs in my plan I had to do it.
    WGU BS IT - Network Design & Management - Start date - 01-01-2014 - As of 3-24-2014:
    X-ferred: AHV1, TBP1, EBV1, AIV1, AJV1, BVC1, COV1, CSV1, CTV1, CWV1, DEV1, DHV1, EAV1, FEC1, EYC1, EOC1, EHC1, CRV1, DPC1 (59 cu)
    Completed: CLC1, WFV1, AGC1, GNC1, CIC1, CUV1, TPV1, GAC1, BOV1, CJC1, IWC1, IWT1, UBC1 (41 cu) Skipped: EUP1, EUC1 (3cu) Current Courses: UBT1, CDC1 (4 cu) Courses Left: CDP1, TCP1, TJC1, TJP1, SBT1, RCT1 (14 cu)
  • SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's great. Congrats.