MCSA: Windows Server 2008

geekbossgeekboss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it really that hard? So many people on here have taken it 3 or 4 times and still haven't passed even the 70-640. I have the 2008 non r2 books and I've been going really slow and doing every single lab. Should I be able to pass in a few months? I've gotten all of the practice questions right at the end of each chapter.

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    If you aren't studying the R2 material - no you won't pass. Unless you've been using the new features that R2 brings on a daily basis in your job.

I think the downfall of a lot of people on these boards (myself included) are they expect to read the book and pass the exam. People forget that MS expects the person taking this exam to have 12ish months of experience on the job working with this technology on a daily basis. A lot of the people failing these exams (myself included) are not using the technology daily and are just studying and reading.

In order to fill the gap associated with not working on the technology people really have to lab on a daily basis to become comfortable enough with the technology to pass these exams. I'm not saying that someone can't read the book and pass the exam - but those people are either extremely book smart and can memorize things or they are doing these tasks daily with their job.

In short, the exams are not hard if you know the material like inside and out - the issue is most people believe they can pass these exams with some studying and labs or without any on the job experience. These exams generally take a lot more knowledge than that to pass.
  • geekbossgeekboss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    If you aren't studying the R2 material - no you won't pass. Unless you've been using the new features that R2 brings on a daily basis in your job.

I think the downfall of a lot of people on these boards (myself included) are they expect to read the book and pass the exam. People forget that MS expects the person taking this exam to have 12ish months of experience on the job working with this technology on a daily basis. A lot of the people failing these exams (myself included) are not using the technology daily and are just studying and reading.

In order to fill the gap associated with not working on the technology people really have to lab on a daily basis to become comfortable enough with the technology to pass these exams. I'm not saying that someone can't read the book and pass the exam - but those people are either extremely book smart and can memorize things or they are doing these tasks daily with their job.

In short, the exams are not hard if you know the material like inside and out - the issue is most people believe they can pass these exams with some studying and labs or without any on the job experience. These exams generally take a lot more knowledge than that to pass.

What should I be using everyday to pass? I'm sort of the junior sys admin here. We just don't do a whole lot of the stuff besides basic AD groups and what not. I'll order the R2 book, do I need to read the 70-642 book as well to pass the 70-640 exam?

Again, I'm not sure what I should be doing beyond the book to learn this stuff. As we only have about 200 users.
    It's kinda goofy because microsoft expects you to use the server tools in order to pass the exam - but in real life that isn't realistic. You aren't going to use NAT in a production environment, or RRAS. Even with NAP people generally use 3rd party tools to accomplish these things.

So the rub is - in order to pass these exams MS expects you to be using all of the tools server 2008 r2 has to offer (branch cache, direct access, FSRM, backup, etc) on a daily basis to pass the exam.

In your situation you are probably much more comfortable with AD integration since you are using it daily, so focus on other things for the 640. You do not need to study 642 to pass the 640. I would suggest picking up a 640 R2 book and study that. Lab scenarios you see in the book or make up your own. In order to lab you'll need to be running 2008 R2 in some type of environment, either physical, virtual or you can use the lab's MS provides.
    It's kinda goofy because microsoft expects you to use the server tools in order to pass the exam - but in real life that isn't realistic. You aren't going to use NAT in a production environment, or RRAS. Even with NAP people generally use 3rd party tools to accomplish these things.

So the rub is - in order to pass these exams MS expects you to be using all of the tools server 2008 r2 has to offer (branch cache, direct access, FSRM, backup, etc) on a daily basis to pass the exam.

In your situation you are probably much more comfortable with AD integration since you are using it daily, so focus on other things for the 640. You do not need to study 642 to pass the 640. I would suggest picking up a 640 R2 book and study that. Lab scenarios you see in the book or make up your own. In order to lab you'll need to be running 2008 R2 in some type of environment, either physical, virtual or you can use the lab's MS provides.

Currently I have a few 2008 r2 servers installed on a server running esxi. So, looking through the book there is a ton of stuff on powershell and vbscript, is that what most of the exam is about? Is getting all of the info I need to pass my march even possible? I'm guessing the exams for this cert will be retired by Dec of 2014 anyway.

thanks!!!
    Sure it is. I would say if you really commit yourself and study 3ish hours a day 7 days a week you could pass one of these exams in about a month.
    Sure it is. I would say if you really commit yourself and study 3ish hours a day 7 days a week you could pass one of these exams in about a month.

Well shoot, do only people who fail the exam post on this fourm? Seems like a lot of people study for a long time and fail. I'm sitting here trying to remember every single command in this book. I study about 3 or four hours a day. Going by this site it seems like the fail rate is pretty high.
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't be too discouraged by my post earlier when I said I failed the 70-640 for the 3rd time. The first time I was woefully underprepared (I had only taken CompTIA tests up till then and Microsoft is a lot different). The 2nd time was only 3 weeks later and I didn't feel ready. My boss wanted me to take it to see if I had progressed any. This last time was the only time I really felt prepared and I was only 45 points from passing.

You can definitely pass these exams, a lot of people do. Don't take them lightly like I did the first time because the 70-640 is difficult. It shouldn't scare you though, I have never once felt like it wasn't a passable exam.

Edit: Definitely get the R2 books because a lot of it is different and it is all 2008 R2 on the exam.
    I think the failure rate is pretty high - but realize like most things you hear more about the bad then the good. I don't know the pass rate, but i think it's above 50%.

It's not enough to memorize the commands, MS expects you to be able to put them into practice.
  • eric281eric281 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□

I use RRAS... in production. It was inherited though.

I'm wondering a little bit about an MCSA question though. I just got my MCSA 2012 (15 minutes ago), and now I want to know if it's worth it to go back and do 2008. The alternative would be to go ahead and finish one of the MCSE tracks and be done with it. Which would be more impressive to prospective employers?
    WGU BS IT - Network Design & Management - Start date - 01-01-2014 - As of 3-24-2014:
    X-ferred: AHV1, TBP1, EBV1, AIV1, AJV1, BVC1, COV1, CSV1, CTV1, CWV1, DEV1, DHV1, EAV1, FEC1, EYC1, EOC1, EHC1, CRV1, DPC1 (59 cu)
    Completed: CLC1, WFV1, AGC1, GNC1, CIC1, CUV1, TPV1, GAC1, BOV1, CJC1, IWC1, IWT1, UBC1 (41 cu) Skipped: EUP1, EUC1 (3cu) Current Courses: UBT1, CDC1 (4 cu) Courses Left: CDP1, TCP1, TJC1, TJP1, SBT1, RCT1 (14 cu)
    unfbilly11 wrote: »
    Don't be too discouraged by my post earlier when I said I failed the 70-640 for the 3rd time. The first time I was woefully underprepared (I had only taken CompTIA tests up till then and Microsoft is a lot different). The 2nd time was only 3 weeks later and I didn't feel ready. My boss wanted me to take it to see if I had progressed any. This last time was the only time I really felt prepared and I was only 45 points from passing.

You can definitely pass these exams, a lot of people do. Don't take them lightly like I did the first time because the 70-640 is difficult. It shouldn't scare you though, I have never once felt like it wasn't a passable exam.

Edit: Definitely get the R2 books because a lot of it is different and it is all 2008 R2 on the exam.

That's quite a relief, reading this website had me pretty panicked, seemed like it was impossible, I nearly gave up. How long have you spent on this exam so far? a few months? Studying everyday?
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying for probably a total of 3 months, but that first month I wouldn't call what I was doing really studying. I would read the book, then take a day or 2 off, then come back to it and read a bit more. I kinda took the exam lightly because I work with AD all the time in the office. I didn't realize how much material was covered until I took the test the first time.

After that, I spent a week or so building a really nice lab setup and I have been studying hard for the past 6 weeks. I plan on taking this and passing it on Dec 6. All in total, that will be close to 4 months of study time (2 months of real hard study time 2 hours a day). I could've done it quicker but it's not a race and I need to really learn the material.
    unfbilly11 wrote: »
    I have been studying for probably a total of 3 months, but that first month I wouldn't call what I was doing really studying. I would read the book, then take a day or 2 off, then come back to it and read a bit more. I kinda took the exam lightly because I work with AD all the time in the office. I didn't realize how much material was covered until I took the test the first time.

After that, I spent a week or so building a really nice lab setup and I have been studying hard for the past 6 weeks. I plan on taking this and passing it on Dec 6. All in total, that will be close to 4 months of study time (2 months of real hard study time 2 hours a day). I could've done it quicker but it's not a race and I need to really learn the material.

Excellent, I'm just hoping to get all three tests done by Dec 2014. Does anyone know when they're going to retire MCSA 2008?
  • VenomSdMVenomSdM Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no retirement, Microsoft changed their mind!

I'm also studying for the MCSA 2008 and luckly ther is no need to rush!
  • TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RRAS is definitely used in production. I had to implement this as a work around vpn solution because array networks doesnt have a connect before logon.
    My point with RRAS is there are things that you will be tested on that aren't generally used.
    Well, just ordered some updated R2 books, some people say its impossible and give up and some say it's not too bad. Guess i'll find out in a few months!

I've played with RRAS quite a bit when I was in school. Lot of cool stuff in Server 2008
  • CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My point with RRAS is there are things that you will be tested on that aren't generally used.

Using your server as a router. Even Microsoft admits it.