Options

Wireless# recertify

MissionKap1001MissionKap1001 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
The only way to keep the certicate for wireless# is to take the test every three years. I think it's dumb that getting the CWNA doesn't automatically recertify you. It's the next level up, it should recertify you. Any know if I'm wrong about this, or if this will be changed?

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im not sure that does sound strange tho. why dont you try to shoot the company an email. perhaps they will add it to the FAQ section or something.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    CWNA primarily covers 802.11 networking. Wireless# covers many other different types of wireless communications, most of which are not found on the CWNA exam, including WiMAX, RFID, ZigBee, Bluetooth, infrared, and Voice over Wireless LAN.

The Wireless# cert is not a "junior" cert to the CWNA; these two certs are complementary, and passing the CWNA does not indicate that you can also pass Wireless#. Also, in an area of technology that is changing as rapidly as wireless communications, it would be justified for the CWNP exams to have a two-year renewal period rather than three.
  • Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a doubt? Ok if I take the CWNA a pass the exam. I have to recertify when a new objectives are include in the exam.
  • Options
    To keep the CWNA certification, you will need to recertify every three years regardless if the exam is revised or not. The only way around this is to pass a higher CWNP exam, such as the CWSP or CWAP. You will then recertify on the higher exam. It's all good.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Correction: Wireless# is a lifetime certificate, without a recertification requirement.

See here: http://www.cwnp.com/exams/recert_policy.html

I did see that on one of the Wireless# pages they did have recertification at 3 years, but I believe the official policy is listed on the above page.

Wireless# is considered an entry-level certification, and although not necesarily covering the same material as CWNA, is logically seen as a stepping stone to CWNA and more advanced wireless certifications.

I have been meaning to take the CWNA, and was pleased to see the Wireless# develop... then I saw this post... and almost wrote it off my list of desired certifications, luckily I check their web site and found they are doing it "right", and allow an entry level cert to be achieved without continued recertification while trying to pursue the next level of certification.

I have to say, the CWNP program looks to be well thought out, with appropriate levels of certification for individuals desiring vendor-neutral wireless knowledge recognition certification.

Take Care,
    --Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    rcoop wrote:
    I did see that on one of the Wireless# pages they did have recertification at 3 years, but I believe the official policy is listed on the above page.
    All of the information that I've read has the Wireless# being a 3-year-renewal cert. This is a new certification and I'm sure there may be some conflicting information written about it on the Web. I'll check with the authorities at the CWNP if Wireless# is in fact lifetime or not.

Also, I'm not sure why a cert being lifetime or having a 3-year renewal period would make a difference in the decision to get the cert. If a cert is worthwhile to obtain it's worthwhile to renew. Maybe the "no need to renew" certs created by CompTIA and Microsoft have set some unreasonable expectations.
  • Options
    I wrote CWNP a letter. Let's see how/if they reply. Will post if they do. To comment on the last post. I don't mind recertifing as long as I can recertify by getting a next level certification in this case CWNA. I'll be happy if it's a lifetime certifcation too, but I will not recertify the same course every 2-3 years. It's too repetitive.
  • Options
    Just got the reply back. It only took them half hour to respond. I will beging studying soon. Woohoo. Here's what they wrote...

We just - literally today - changed it to "lifetime", so some internet servers
    may still have the old pages cached.

The answer is lifetime certification for Wireless#.

Thanks
    Kevin
    CWNP® Program
  • Options
    Yep, I just found that out myself. I'm sure lifetime certification will be an additional incentive to many people to get the Wireless# cert.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    jdmurray wrote:
    Also, I'm not sure why a cert being lifetime or having a 3-year renewal period would make a difference in the decision to get the cert. If a cert is worthwhile to obtain it's worthwhile to renew. Maybe the "no need to renew" certs created by CompTIA and Microsoft have set some unreasonable expectations.

If CompTIA required renewal every three years (and MS as well), it would quickly become a full time job to track, maintain, and schedule certifications, and be difficult to continue persuing more difficult or advanced certifications. I don't mind recertification every three years, but would prefer continuing education or allowing advanced certifications to satisfy recertification requirements.

I guess most people use certifications to get a job, or get further in the one they're in, except for the ones required by my job, I see certification as a way to force myself to continue "sharpening the saw" and to keep up with current technologies that I may only touch part time in my current job role. But working 50 to 60 hours a week and studying for new certifications would be extremely difficult if I had to work in time for recertification of previous "entry-level" certifications.

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    rcoop wrote:
    If CompTIA required renewal every three years (and MS as well), it would quickly become a full time job to track, maintain, and schedule certifications, and be difficult to continue persuing more difficult or advanced certifications.
    A full-time job for who? Tracking and maintaining certs is a revenue stream for CompTIA and MS, so they are glad to do it. People who receive 3-year-renewal certs certainly don't need to put full-time effort into performing any maintenance. If you are current in the field covered by the cert, in that 36-month period of time you'd only spend a few weeks studying for recertification.
    rcoop wrote:
    I don't mind recertification every three years, but would prefer continuing education or allowing advanced certifications to satisfy recertification requirements.
    This is exactly how CWNP and (ISC)2 do it. CWNP allows lower-tier certs earned to be replaced by certs obtained from a higher tier, and (ISC)2 requires CEU's in lieu of renewal.
    rcoop wrote:
    But working 50 to 60 hours a week and studying for new certifications would be extremely difficult if I had to work in time for recertification of previous "entry-level" certifications.
    I agree. I currently work 40-50 hour/week, take classes for my Masters in InfoSec, and study for security certifications. I also have a cert with a 3-year renewal period (CWSP). If my cert's renewal date draws near, I will suspend studying for new certs and turn my attention to renewing my current cert. It's just a matter of priorities. Renewing a cert that you find valuable to retain should have priority over acquiring new certs, but not have priority over work, school, or family. Eventually, you'll discover that you don't really spend too much of your time on cert renewal anyway.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    JD wrote:
    This is exactly how CWNP and (ISC)2 do it. CWNP allows lower-tier certs earned to be replaced by certs obtained from a higher tier, and (ISC)2 requires CEU's in lieu of renewal.
    Cisco does the same. Amongst other options, you can recertify the lower level CCNA and CCDA by taking only a single (of the 4-5) CCNP/CCDP/CCSP etc exams. I agree Microsoft could perhaps learn from this approach, but although they you don't need to recertify MCSE for example, you can and in general will need to 'upgrade' it to a later Windows version, which also encourages people to keep learning new things. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft will go about this with their upcoming new line of certs. CompTIA exams don't change that much, if you could pass the Network+ in 2001, you'll likely pass it now also, perhaps with some educated guesses. So I don't see much use in CompTIA certs, uhm, I mean in recertifying CompTIA certs icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    ... although they you don't need to recertify MCSE for example, you can and in general will need to 'upgrade' it to a later Windows version ...
    With Microsoft releasing a new version of Windows every three years or so this is certainly a way to sneak a non-mandatory renewal of the MCSE (i.e., an upgrade) into their certification program. Very sneaky, indeed.