Options

marking DSCP on ingress ports

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have been playing with QOS lately but I am not sure how the mls qos cos-dscp map works. and how to mark ingress packes with DSCP.

I was playing with the Ethernet switch in GNS3 which is basically a 3725router with a 16 FE module.

when I go to configure QOS on the incoming port I only seem to be able to trust/set COS, So I can set COS markings here and then use a policy map to classify the data and set DSCP values on the out going interface.

But where does the cos-DSCP mapping come in?

I thought if I apply the

#mls qos trust cos

to a port then it will apply also the COS_DSCP mapping and tag packets with a DSCP value based on there COS marking?

but if I have

#mls qos trust cos
#mls qos cos 3

I thought that would mean the COS value would be set to 3 and the DSCP value would be what ever is in the mapping? But when try applying a policy map to the outgoing upstream interface with a class map that captures DSCP 26 (as per my map) it does not see any traffic? I can get what I expect using classmaps to capture based on COS and then set the DSCP manually, but I expected the maps to do this all for me.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Where is your service-policy? That is what should be configured on the interface. Service policy should reference your Policy Map thereby taking action on the configured interface

Attach a running-config snippit as well, Voice peeps live and breath QoS but i'm decent with it. :)
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What does a 'show mls qos interface x/x' show for the interface in question? Are these tagged packets coming in? Do they already have a CoS set? I'm assuming you changed your default map? I think you are hitting some kind of order of operations here, but it's been a while since I've dug into this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    What does a 'show mls qos interface x/x' show for the interface in question? Are these tagged packets coming in? Do they already have a CoS set? I'm assuming you changed your default map? I think you are hitting some kind of order of operations here, but it's been a while since I've dug into this.

This is just in a GNS 3 lab so packets are arriving a interface unmarked, I know this is not hing like a real world situation but I often find trying something of the normaly track teaches you mroe about something than setting it up by the book.

Switch_1#sh mls qos interface f1/15
    FastEthernet1/15
    trust state: trust cos
    trust mode: trust cos
    COS override: dis
    default COS: 6
    pass-through: none

Cos-dscp map:
    cos: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    dscp: 0 10 18 26 34 46 48 56

and I have Switch1(really router with 16 port FE) ---->router1

host is connected to port f1/15 and uplink to router is port f0/0

So what I did is have the running config on f1/15 as
    switchport priority default 6 mls qos cos 6
     mls qos trust cos
    end

and on int f0/0

interface FastEthernet0/0
     ip address 10.30.30.2 255.255.255.0
     speed 100
     full-duplex
     auto discovery qos
     service-policy output Mark

Policy Map Mark
        Class COS6
        Class All
          set dscp af41

Class Map match-all COS6 (id 3)
       Match   dscp cs6 (4[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]

A bit messy I know but the idea was that f1/15 would tag all incoming packets as COS6 the map would translate this and DSCP filed would become 48. and then the out going policy would be able to classify them.

I cant use a class map that matches on COS on the routed interface as its not a dot1q port. So I am curious at what point in the process is the DSCP marking mapped from the COS. IE can I mark the traffic explicitly on the layer 2 interface as it comes in to the switch, and get it to write the DSCP field also with out a policy-map?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Have you tried turning trust off?
  • Options
    yep :) tried a few variations.
  • Options
    I'd guess this is something with the NM because I think this would work with a 3560 for example though I am a bit rusty on my L2 QoS. Only other thing I'd say to try is enabling override.
  • Options
    Coming back to this, does any one run Policy based QOS on the 6500?

I have set up a policy to match classes based on AL's

Policy Map QOS-Markings
    Class Lync-ef
    set dscp ef
    Class Lync-af41
    set dscp af41

each class simple matches a single ACL for IP/port ranges

And I have applied this outgoing to a vlan interface

conf t
    int vlan 1001
    service-policy outgoing QOS-Markings

But when I #show policy-map int vlan 1001

all i see is
    Service-policy output: QOS-Markings

class-map: Lync-ef (match-all)
          Match: access-group name Lync-Voice
          set dscp 46:
          Earl in switch 1, slot 5 :
            596 bytes
            5 minute offered rate 16 bps
            aggregate-forwarded 596 bytes
          Earl in switch 2, slot 5 :
            0 bytes
            5 minute offered rate 0 bps
            aggregate-forwarded 0 bytes

class-map: Lync-af41 (match-all)
          Match: access-group name Lync-Video
          set dscp 34:
          Earl in switch 1, slot 5 :
            0 bytes
          Earl in switch 2, slot 5 :
            0 bytes

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
          55 packets, 5427 bytes
          5 minute offered rate 0000 bps, drop rate 0000 bps
          Match: any 
            55 packets, 5427 bytes
            5 minute rate 0 bps

But I know this interface is the uplink to the external router so has tons of traffic, even if the main classes where incorrectly configured I would expect to see the class default showing traffic. (this was after about 10 min)

What's going on, why is traffic not hitting the policy map? I assume its to do with hardware switching, but all the documentation i read just says create the policy as you normaly would and apply to interface?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    What are your class-map's matching? If it's an ACL, are you getting hits on this ACL?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    you should really mark traffic inbound, also 6500 being hardware platform counters aren't "real" time.
  • Options
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    What are your class-map's matching? If it's an ACL, are you getting hits on this ACL?

nope no real matches, I know these should be hit as doing an capture on the interface I can see traffic in these ranges. Also I don't see why the class defualt would not be seeing traffic.

as you can see the packet rate on the interface is quite high.

5 minute input rate 30253000 bits/sec, 3807 packets/sec
    5 minute output rate 21952000 bits/sec, 3235 packets/sec
    Extended IP access list Lync-Video 
        5 deny ip any host 149.1.1.67 (86 matches)
        10 permit udp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20040 20079
        20 permit tcp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20040 20079

Extended IP access list Lync-Voice 
        10 deny ip any host 149.1.1.67 (86 matches)
        20 permit tcp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20000 20039
        30 permit udp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20000 20039 (32 matches)

• Options
    I don't want to mark it inbound, as by marking it at this point at am marking it after it has been router and at a single point so rather than policy on multiply interface that are 1Gb/s and included traffic I am not interested in looking at. by marking outbound on this vlan interface I am only going to be applying the policy to a single 100mb/s link.
  • Options
    Give us TCP **** or a .pcap and we can tell you why your ACL's are not matching traffic.
  • Options

I can assure you the middle octes match the access list, and the capture has about 2000 packets in it. Also these are marked with DSCP values not by the policy but elsewhere in the network as traffic is coming from switches that honour QOS markings. The policy is actualy for areas of the network that have switches that can't mark and have o pass there data through this choke point.
  • Options
    In that packet capture, I don't see any packets matching

10 permit udp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20040 20079
    20 permit tcp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20040 20079
    or 20 permit tcp any 149.1.1.0 0.0.1.255 range 20000 20039

You see ACL hit logs for the packets shown in the packet capture.
  • Options
    sorry if you see the same access list at the other end of the list it has about 50,000 hits and across all statements, the capture output I shows was only a tiny fraction of the traffic.

in the end i work it back to the fact I was mixing legacy interface queuing commands with policy-maps. auto qos seems to have applied the command
    "platform qos queuing-only"

Once i removed this and changed all the config to use "policy-map type lan-queuing" for queuing the marking started to work as expected. Seems mixing them can get confusing.

Cheers for the ideas
  • Options
    Ah yes, AutoQoS will disable DSCP/CoS remarks if the autoqos command is there. For the 6500 the command is different but still does the same. I guess we should of asked for full configs. This still does not explain why ACL's were not getting hits for the Video traffic. Did you figure that one out too?
  • Options
    Only in a round about way,

I removed the policy-map and tried to reapply it, at which point i got an error telling me I could not until i removed the "platform qos queuing-only" global command.

once I disabled that and reapplied the policy it worked.. So i assume I had applied the marking policy first, then applied QOS and that stopped the marking policy being applied although it still showed under config, but as it was not a suported configuration it was not matching aginst the ACL's.

I now see both matches and queuing working as I would expect. :)