Got a better IT job!

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
I worked in a low-level helpdesk job making $10 an hour and I just got a job offer with IBM/Ricoh at $16 an hour as a PC Tech fixing laptops and migrating Win XP to Win 7. It's supposed to end in March, but a lot of people were telling me they knew people that worked there that got contracts extended or offered full-time work. Anyone have any experience working at this company?

Regardless, I'm super stoked to put them on my resume. Having hands on tech experience as well helpdesk experience should hopefully help when I get my Bachelor's from WGU and get some certs.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your on your way up! Congrats.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Congratulations! Keep up the hard work.icon_thumright.gif
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. Nothing is better than having the feeling of moving up.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Funny thing is I wasn't even applying for anything and they found an old resume on Linkdin.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and goodluck in your new position!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    markulous wrote: »
    I worked in a low-level helpdesk job making $10 an hour and I just got a job offer with IBM/Ricoh at $16 an hour as a PC Tech fixing laptops and migrating Win XP to Win 7. It's supposed to end in March, but a lot of people were telling me they knew people that worked there that got contracts extended or offered full-time work. Anyone have any experience working at this company?

Regardless, I'm super stoked to put them on my resume. Having hands on tech experience as well helpdesk experience should hopefully help when I get my Bachelor's from WGU and get some certs.

I have worked with a few people who worked at IBM for quite a while.
    As for Ricoh I know that name well but didn't work for them but they were a competitor at the company I was at. Good experience from both sides.

Congrats!
  • dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your new job and YES! Stack up on some certs!!!
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats on the new job!
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, encouraging stuff! Well done!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats...work hard and keep climbing up the ladder.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for all the good wishes!

Everyone I've talked to that has either worked there or known people that have worked there, has said that they always hire you as a temp and then typically hire you on full-time with a pretty significant pay raise. I'll keep my fingers crossed as that would be a huge boon to my career to get in there since they have several levels of help desk jobs, network techs, admins, etc. If not though, I should at least get some nice experience to put on my resume.
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good fortune down your path!