How did you guys receive your A+ certification?

echoesofelevenechoesofeleven Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
Did you guys just study alone? through books & youtube videos? Or Did you guys pay to take a class? how long did you guys prepare before finally taking the exams?
Good and close relationships keep us all truly happy

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Get some study guides, watch Professor Messer videos (free - professormesser.com). Ask questions here. No need to take a pay class.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Back in my day, I read the Mike Meyers book. I'd already taken apart hundreds of computers and had worked in IT for several years. It was a cake walk. I recall taking two parts, but I cannot recall if I took them both on the same day, or separate days. This occurred in 2006. The tests have changed a bit since that time.

I'd also not recommend a paid class for A+. You're only going to really get this stuff from doing it yourself. Since you can get free video demonstrations at the website mentioned above, just make sure you study, and you should do just fine.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • echoesofelevenechoesofeleven Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how long did you guys prepare before finally taking the exams?
    Good and close relationships keep us all truly happy
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went for a 2 weeks course(the company paid for those classes) and self studied using a study guide and watched a series of CBT nuggets.

I had a separation of two weeks in between the exams.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Get some study guides, watch Professor Messer videos (free - professormesser.com). Ask questions here. No need to take a pay class.

+1 for this approach. Worked for me.
  • Iggy StoogeIggy Stooge Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No way I'd pay to take a class on A+...agreed with above advice with the Mike Meyer's books (even though I took the 700 series test, I assume his books for the 800 exam are top notch as well)...there are plenty of videos out there on YouTube and Professor Messer to give you a hand, and the members of this board are always pretty good about lending a helping hand at pointing you in the right direction.
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have access to testout/labsim library suite which is paid for by a state agency, which has the A+ course, and is 110hours. I also have around 10+ years of computer software/hardware experience. I used the testout material, a couple of books; mike myers and exam cram, and professermessers website. It took me about a month to study and prep for the exam. While i understand the thought process behind spreading exam dates, I took the 801 and 802 exam both on the same day because the exam testing facility is really far away and I didnt feel like traveling twice in a short period of time just to take a 90 min exam each time. I think that advice boils down to experience and knowledge, by that I mean if you have zero computer experience and knowledge and are attempting to take the A+ for the first time, I would recommend spreading the exam dates. However, if you have a couple of years or more of exp and knowledge, I really don't see any reason why you should spread the dates. I took both the same day, and passed, that was Aug 27th, 2013. I will remember, because my wife got into a car accident right after I finished and passed the 801 and before I was about to take the 802. lol. She is fine, btw, but the car was totaled.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill