WGU refused to give educational reference, any comment?

geekoncallgeekoncall Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am WGU graduate, just graduated 2 months ago in BSBA-IT program. I've applied for several jobs but they never asked for any educational reference. I recently applied for a government job and they need 3 educational references.

I was thinking my former WGU mentor as she never stop saying (during her 15 minutes call), you are the best student I ever had, you are the most intelligent student and bla bla. When I contacted her now (after I already graduated), she replied with simple 2 line response, "please contact record department". I am just off the phone with record department and they clearly refused that they don't provide any kind of educational reference.

I am trying to understand whether "Educational Reference Request" is unusual or Universities don't give out reference type things? Any comment on this please, how to deal with this situation? I have to complete these forms ( included reference request) before I get an interview call, really stresses out icon_sad.gif
WGU BSB-IT Progress: Date Started: 2013/03/01
Working ON: Completed Bachelor :). Thinking for MBA
Project+, CIW Web Associate, MTA Network Associate
Transferred/Completed: AGC1, BBC1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, INC1, BVC1, LIT1, EST1, FNT1, MKC1, MKT1, MGC1, QAT1, EGT1,LAE1, LUT1, BNC1, LWC1, INT1, QBT1, EGC1, FNC1, CLC1, IWC1, RWT1, BDC1, IWT1, TPV1, CWV1, WFV1, QFT1, PFIT

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Generally these are completed by professors that you've wow'd and got to know. Why would someone you've never spoken to before in a records department be able to speak positively about you?

I for example got a letter of recommendation from the Dean of the college I attended when I left. I had gotten to know her personally, discussed much of the coursework I was involved in and offered up suggestions to help improve the program. I'm sure I could ask any of the many professors that I had to be references as well as they could vouch for the quality of my work and ability to learn.

I'm honestly not quite sure how to handle this with WGU. Not meeting professors face-to-face or really getting to know them has to have some downfalls.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    geekoncall wrote: »
    I am trying to understand whether "Educational Reference Request" is unusual or Universities don't give out reference type things? Any comment on this please, how to deal with this situation? I have to complete these forms ( included reference request) before I get an interview call, really stresses out icon_sad.gif

For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone asking for an educational reference, and 3 seems like a stretch.

Anyway, maybe hit up the WGU Facebook page and ask publicly? They seem to be on top of that, maybe it will spur them to reply with a solution?
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am curious to see what the outcome will be since I am considering applying to WGU and then hope to work for a government agency afterword. If government employment requires such references and WGU would not be able to provide them, that may affect my decision on applying there.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Send 'em to Student Services.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Or contact some of your course mentors. But in any case, I wouldn't worry about it much unless you are applying to CIA, or maybe DOE.

With the bureaucracy in the government I doubt they'll be looked into. If you think it'll be a problem, remove the degree, then mention it during an interview...
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I just got a govt job in Washington DC and no one asked about educational reference. But they did verify with Student Clearing House that I earned my degrees.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @forestgiant - congrats on that job! Did you earn any of your degrees at WGU?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]