Options

I am thinking of taking the WGU plunge, transferring large amount of credits in

coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'll be 24 next year and have been (technically) in-and-out of college since I was 18. I went for 2 1/2 years to the University of Connecticut (great state school) for psychology where I completed three semesters. I returned this semester with a change in major to Management Information Systems. This brick-and-mortar school wants me to redo a bunch of classes I already took essentially because now I need to apply to their school of business. I took a bunch of 200-level courses and I'm sitting in 100-levels again.

Example: in 2008 I took Anthropology 2000 and Math 1070. This semester they are making me take Anthropology 1000 and Math 1060 (pre-req courses to the ones I already took).

It's very frustrating. It's also 6k a semester and a 40 minute commute each way, which equates to 500/mo in gasoline alone. It's a money making scheme on the University's behalf. I also hate going to classes with freshman who clearly don't value the education and don't take it seriously. Telling children to stop talking during a lecture so I can take notes is ridiculous. I'm here to learn. At age 24 they gawk and think I'm ridiculous but maybe I'm just mature for my age.

Since September of this year, while taking a full semester of courses (5 classes / 16 credits) I managed to study and get four IT certifications. I think I've proved to myself that I can do the self-study online thing. I do work helpdesk with 3 years experience so I have the IT experience that I need.

I have completed close to 70 credits at my University of Connecticut and I'm hoping that, minus a lab science, I don't have to take anything too similar again. Combined with my certifications I'm hoping that I'll be looking at only having 3 'terms' at most according to how WGU puts things. At that, maybe I could complete my degree in one term. It'd be really, really nice to have a Bachelors degree - it's something I've been wanting for a long time.

I always put so much value in the name of the institution I attend - hence UConn. After playing the big boy career game I realize that it's not so much what you know but who you know, where you went to school but that you finished a degree. If you can back up what your resume says with experience and knowledge (and are a generally well-spoken and presentable human being) then landing a job will happen.

Anyone else transfer in a large amount of credits? I just filled out the form to contact a mentor/get more information.
System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure

Comments

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure to also check out Thomas Edison State College. They will take up to 120 credit hours towards a bachelor's. There are also free ways to earn the credits necessary that you may be missing. There are these tests you can take called CLEP tests and DANTES tests. These tests are not to difficult as you do not need to score high on them at all to pass and get universal college credit in the subject of the tests. TESC will take these credits as well.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    Looking at your transcripts, how many credits exactly do you have from all of your college studies?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Thomas Edison isn't bad but it doesn't include certifications if I remember correctly and it can cost a bit more in fees and tuition. $8,395 covers up to 36 credits a year but if you go above that many credits, you're going to be paying a bit more or you can pay $3000ish in tuition plus $229 per credit. Source: Thomas Edison State College: Comprehensive Tuition Plan and Thomas Edison State College: Enrolled Options Plan

It all depends if certifications are important to you, OP, how fast/slow you want to go, and the major you want. One big plus of Thomas Edison is that you can go for a Computer Science degree instead of an Information Technology degree. The only crappy part about the Thomas Edison CS degree is that it's a Bachelors of Arts.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    That last link points towards BA in 4 weeks which has lots of info on testing out of your degree from three different schools and a master's degree. COSC, TESC, and Excelsior.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just double checked, I'm in so far 60 credits to be exact. Plus my ~4 CompTIA certs (A+ Net+ Sec+ Server+) and by the time I'd begin I'd also most likely have my 70-680 done.

Thanks for the information about Thomas Edison but I think I'm going to stick with WGU for a BS in IT - maybe I'll pick a sub-field to study in as well.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    Maybe We takes CLEP and DANTES as well
    CISSP, CCNA SP