Options

CCIE Reading & Notes

sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
just curious about how you guys are dealing with the reading aspect of the CCIE preparation. i have all the reading material for my CCIE written exam and i also have bits and pieces of equipment for the lab portion.

i have tons of experience with hands-on, so my logic is that once i've read through the entire recommended reading list, and the config guides i'll be much better off when i attack the workbooks and the labs. my CCIE Collaboration bootcamp is scheduled for June 2014 and I hope to make my first lab attempt in July-August.

i'm really looking for tips or any advice of how much reading will be required and how you guys are managing your time. my goal is to pass written and the lab on 1st attempt. this is one exam i want to be way OVER prepared for.
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It depends of every individual but I found it hard to focus on reading only. So I read/lab/blog and participate in forums/discussions. My count of the hours I've read so far is 155 and I'm well over 350 hours if I also count the labs and blogs. I think you are looking at around 200-250 hours of pure reading before you can be ready for the CCIE Written. I don't know who can read through all the recommended books without doing labs also; it honestly feels impossible to me.

So my recommendation would be to read on technologies you don't touch that often and review all the other technologies. If you follow the recommended reading list, you are looking at spending well over 500 hours just on reading.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    You might find this interesting: How to study for your CCIE
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    @fredrikkjj

thanks for the INE link. i wasn't certain if i should make this post or not because it seemed so trivial, but looks like there's lots of information out there on study methods. though i have tons of experience deploying UC i'm really looking to formulate a good study plan and approach.

my only issue is i was work in consulting and project delivery so at times i have to shift my study to different topics depending on the client, so my approach will be in depth study on topics that pertain to doing my design and install work when it's appropriate and then going over each area on the blueprints.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow