Passed VPN

Got a 910. Nothing too impressive. The exam was a fair one and I can safely say that the best way to prepare is to have done it in production. I used the OCG, CBT and the Quick reference but what made it easy for me was experience.

Next is IPS. This is where it gets real. I have limited experience in this section. However, I am looking at deploying a few ASAs with IPS modules soon which I'm very excited about.
Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

Comments

• CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Good job, but having work experience on the topic is obviously cheating :)
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Master Of Puppets - Congrats on the VPN pass and good luck on IPS! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Nice, told you VPN is a fun exam...why IPS next? SECURE is not one to laugh at, it's a tough exam. How do you plan to lab for IPS?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man.. Just took IPS about a month ago then switch last week, studying for firewall and route now. Hit me up if there's anything I can help you with.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Nice, told you VPN is a fun exam...why IPS next? SECURE is not one to laugh at, it's a tough exam. How do you plan to lab for IPS?

You were right. If everything goes according to plan, I will lab it in production. There are a few ASAs with IPS modules that I will have to deploy from scratch. We are changing all the networking equipment in a few offices and configuring everything from the ground up. I'm thinking of playing around with them a lot.

Also, has anyone managed to get an IPS working in GNS?

Heracles004 - What did you use to lab?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually purchased a 4215 on amazon for like 50 bucks, granted it is slightly outdated but still close enough to get a feel for everything I needed to do and understand. Not to mention that it was locked with the old configs so step one was breaking in =).
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I racked a 4240 in and powered it up and first thing had to learn how to reset password. An IPS appliance is MUCH different that the ASA-IPS modules but all in all MoP you will really need to focus on the IME GUI, work your way through it etc.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Master!

You'll enjoy the IPS although it is true, the ASA IPS vs. 4200s are a bit different. But you're resourceful, I have no doubt you'll find a way to lab it up right.

I didn't take SECURE - I had one of the earlier Cisco SND exams grandfathered into my CCNP Security, but I'm planning on starting to study/lab it right after the CISM exam on the 14th.
    Good luck on the CISM! That's not an easy one.

I think I will have a go at the standalone IPS too. I talked to an acquaintance of mine who has a 4255 in his network and persuaded him to let me play with it a little. In case that doesn't happen, I will think of something else.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks MoP,

Rack rental was the way I had to go. Still not as good as having hands-on, but it worked out. Spent a ton of time on the IME demo-mode/sim as well. Not much functionality but enough to get acquainted before you go stumbling through the rack rental.