Failed 291 with a 576.

computertech33computertech33 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dang........I have 3 other MCPs and this was the hardest for some reason.

Not sure where I messed up.

The test had 2 sims that I remember. One for SUS and the other for DNS. You had to create a stub zone and only allow secure updates. The weird thing was, there was only an option for allow unsecure and secure updates. I think that I needed to upgrade the zone to an integrated zone.

3. having replication issues and need to see if hardware is failing
a. measue network interface packets /p second??

4. Connect to Internet via IE using IAS..DO you use Automatically detect settings?

5. Two subnets…Subnet A with 400 Subnet B with 200

6. 10.0.0.1-10.0.2.254..the ISP gives you an extra # of ip range 10.0.3.0-10.0.3.255

7. How to backup DHCP server to a 2nd DHCP server

a. Backup from tape, net start dhcpserver

That's about all my frazzled mind can remember. I would like to talk to others that have failed.

Can anyone suggest a good book to read?

I have been using transcenders and make 90-100% each time. That and I read the Michael Myers passport series and have 2003 installed at home. Any other ideas?

Comments

• jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    SORRY to hear - kepp on studying and you will get it next time...........this examisn't called the beast as a joke - it really is a BEAST........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck on your next attempt!
    The test had 2 sims that I remember. One for SUS and the other for DNS. You had to create a stub zone and only allow secure updates. The weird thing was, there was only an option for allow unsecure and secure updates. I think that I needed to upgrade the zone to an integrated zone.

Careful about the NDA. Your assumption is correct, you need to upgrade the zone for it to allow secure only updates.

Can anyone suggest a good book to read?

I have been using transcenders and make 90-100% each time. That and I read the Michael Myers passport series and have 2003 installed at home. Any other ideas?

The Transcenders are very good. I would suggest getting the MS Press Book which covered the material very thoroughly IMO. Forget abou tthe Sybex book for this exam. I don't know what it is, but the Sybex books are literally trash for the MCSA Core exams IMO.
  • computertech33computertech33 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I talked my boss into buying the Kit that includes 290,291,293 and 294 of the MS Press books. They come with trial software,testing software and very in depth hands on.

I have an MCP for Win98,2kPro and 2003 Server. I passed each of those without a problem. This really is the beast.
  • computertech33computertech33 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that ...I guess I didn't read that...I'll be more careful. I don't want a braindump either..just a place to share ideas.

Thanks again.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    make sure the grouping you purchase has the ms 291 2nd edition
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not sure where I messed up.

Start with your score report. It'll give you a good idea of where you were weak. Nail down some serious study time in those areas, and keep yourself refreshed with the things you did well on.

Good luck. I took this exam a few months ago and it was not the easiest MS exam I've sat.

I posted somewhat of a review/recommendation. Read it at the link below, it might help out.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13903

Keatron.
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    it is definately not easy, i like it, like studying for it and will be very happy once i passed it, i think the problem lies in the details, you seem to be doing fine, but, you get the score and it's not good enough, like suggested, study hard on your weak areas as well as review your strong points
    get back to studying!!!