How much should I ask from the Geek Squad?

rainman03rainman03 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello. I'm applying at the Geek Squad at a new store location as a last resort incase all my other jobs that I've applied for fall through or dont pan out. I'm currently A+, Network+, CST, and CNST certified and I hope to be MCP certifed and well on my way to MCSA or MCDST before the end of August. How much is a reasonable amout that they will offer me and what level in the Geek Squad does this normally get you?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    i applied during my unemployment right before my current job and was told it was $12.00 an hour. they never called me back after my interview. i think I may have been overqualified for the position, i held my MCSE:Security, MCDST, Sec+, Net+, and A+, b/c the interview went real well otherwise.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I'll bet you are over-qualified anyway. I too, in my time of desparation, applied for Geek Squad...I had A+ and MCP and was not hired. They have a bunch of 16 year old kids there, with no certs or anything and pay them $12/hour, but if you call out the geek squad it's something like $120/hour...nice little profit margin they have there... icon_rolleyes.gif

So, apply if it is a last resort, but don't hold your breath on getting it...they feel if you have Certs and actual qualifications then you would want too much money. It's much cheaper to pay some high school kid to run an anti-virus program than someone qualified...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I work at the geek squad and I am A+ certified. They don't pay much and I do it as a part-time job for some experience and discounts. My other job(currently not in IT) pays the bills til I can get done with school and some other certs. It is a place were they do have some younger workers(not 16) but I look at it as a place for a little extra cash, discount and them paying for some of my certifications, not as a long term career.
  • xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    I have been working as an In-Store tech for the Geek Squad for 10 months and I can tell you that Best Buy will not let anyone under 18 work on a computer. They may hire someone who is 16 to work there but I can assure you they don't do any tech work. All they do is call customers and sell services, that's it.

To answer the original question, $10-$12/hr is the max they will pay you unless you are an In-Home tech. I was also told I was overqualified in my interview but I got the job anyway. The only required cert for Geek Squad is A+; however, only the senior tech is required to have it. Where I work we have people from 18 (me) all the way up to the 30's.

If you do indeed end up working for the Geek Squad, DON'T expect it to be a purely computer related job. You are required to ring up computer sales, test all returned items (including TVs, washing machines, iPods etc.), and sell Geek Squad services. Best Buy does not care if they have good techs, they want good salesmen. Be prepared for the worst customers also. Best Buy salesmen will tell them whatever they want to hear to make a sale. Usually, the techs get an earfull when the customer finds out their iPod will not be repaired in store and will take 3-4 weeks to get it back.

Point is, the Geek Squad is a baby step towards a career. In 2 weeks I'll be starting a full-time internship with a local Cisco partner and never look back. The Geek Squad may not be the best IT job, but it provides experience to those who have none.

P. S. - Good Luck finding a job!
  • notcarsondalynotcarsondaly Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't know what your situation is but screw $12/hour. Two options come to mind.

1) If you have some certs and a little experience, go into business for yourself. Offer to fix neighbors computers or setup their home networks. You will make way more than $12/hour and gain some valuable technical and business experience. Being that you are going to school as well, working for yourself would afford you a very flexible schedule. I started my own small business and most of my current clients are former geek* clients who were dissatisfied with paying outrageous rates ($79-$100+ for peripheral installs) for tasks that take 15 minutes.

2) Get a job at a call center. Most "level one" help desks I know of only require A+ and a minimal amount of experience. They usually have several rotations that could fit into your school schedule. Best of all, I'll bet you could make WAY more than $12/hour. You will also gain the always important "customer service" and/or "soft skills" of dealing with people and their broken stuff.

Most important of all, look out for #1 (you). Don't settle for the $12/hour gig if there are better options. When in doubt, apply for any position you think would work for you. The worst that can happen is the hiring manager says no. Then, you ask them what you would need to get hired and they tell you where to focus your educational efforts.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    My cousin works there. This job sucks ass.... Pressure to sell services(it's more like a sales job)...low pay.... abuse from customers, managers etc... Find something else, my man. Check out the temp agencies in your area...
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • rainman03rainman03 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone...I almost regret applying now. Compared to the other 2 jobs I have interviews for (one with a major federal agency and one for a prominent art gallery) I think I will refuse the geek squad even if they do offer a job. If nothing else, it may be a good idea for some interview practice!

I worked as a seasonal worker at Circuit City and was "promised" to move from video games to the computer section after Black Friday, and was never given the move. Furthermore, about 2 months into my job I walked into the back office to get my schedule and I was approached by the manager that interviewed me so he could find out if I worked there or not. Talk about horrid employee relations and a terrible place to work! I have since been turned off to retail chain stores and really wanted a job that seems to treat people like a human rather than a lowest bid resource.

Thanks to everyone that responded!
  • JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I applied for geek squad about 3 weeks ago and they finally called me. I have an interview on Friday. The only reason I am considering this job is because I have a friend who worked there for about 9 months and he finally landed another job that pays better and is less stressful. He did say that the job is not fun and can suck at times. Still I have an AA degree with no experience besides an internship so hopefully I will get this job and it will lead to better things. I’ll let you guys know how its goes.

P.S. He told me that they started him out at 11/hr, so I guess it varies depending where you live.
  • boostedtc24boostedtc24 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ha, 12 dollars an hour is pretty good pay down here in Florida (at least the Daytona Beach area anyway). Sad isn't it?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know what is wrong with $12/hr with just A+? I know people who are making $8-$9/hr doing help desk. IMO it isn't that bad to gain some experience and to put on a resume.

Otherwise, what's the alternative? Going into business for yourself doing PC Repair is very hard, because it is hard to stay busy and hold enough work. My advice would be if you want to do that would to get a job and build up your contacts and reputation on the side until you have sufficient clients to service.

My first job out of high school while I was in college was cleaning toilets for Toys 'R' Us for $7.35 /hr. I would of taken a $12/hr PC Repair job the first chance I got. Anyways, good luck to you.
  • Mark40930Mark40930 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally would not take that job, mainly because of the stressful atmosphere of working in a large retail environment. Besides, with the certs that you have you can easily find work as a mobile PC tech or possibly level 2 tech support at a higher rate of pay. Several call centers here start at $12-14 a range without certs, but if you had them you could get a starting rate at the higher end of the scale.

Unless you're desperate, pass on Geek Squad and check out the other IT choices first.
    MarkJ
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think you will get any worthwhile experience working at a retail PC store. I started working like that as my very first computer job. I didn't do my real first IT job until I started Help Desk and never looked back from there. But that experience counted for nothing, I got paid sweet FA and what I did was more basic then what I learnt at college and what I did on my friends pc's.

I stopped working there after a few months and went into business on my own. The work is not much better but you can chose your own hours, make much more money. You can also be flexible around studies and the myriad of other jobs I was holding down at that time. All just to pay the bills until my real IT job came along. And as my first manager said to me when I told him I worked at this store "They are just toys, this is the real stuff". That has stuck with me and really put things into perspective.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I don't think that is the place where you ask for a wage. It is so low level they just give you what they are paying.
  • JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, the interview went fairly well. It is defiantly a sales position job. It does seem like there is room for promotion but you have to start at the very bottom. Basically if I take this job they will start me off on the sales floor just helping and talking to customers, no real hands on stuff.

Also if they call me I will have another interview with the GM. We didn’t discuss salary. Still, it seems if I start out on the floor I will make under 11/hr, I pretty sure floor reps make less.

O well, I’m undecided, too many IT jobs need 5+ years experience where I live.
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jimehboo wrote:
    O well, I’m undecided, too many IT jobs need 5+ years experience where I live.

I hear that man! If you search monster.com most of the jobs want a BS and at least 2 years xp and certs....damn. Its hard to get a start but it seems that once you get it and get some experience under you belt you can do anything.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    If you have the knowledge and personality, you can talk yourself into any job.

BS and certs are guidelines... Its their wish list. If you come across as confident and personable, I guarantee that will get you on the shortlist.

But you will need some experience atleast.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Its hard to get a start but it seems that once you get it and get some experience under you belt you can do anything.

I know exactly what you mean. If you look at the job boards there are a myriad of jobs out there that want 2-5 years of experience. I've noticed that a lot of decent jobs can be had with a 2 year degree or entry level certs or both. I did finally get a call last week about a one month contract position that could go to full-time doing some imaging. The lady I spoke with said they were specifically looking for A+ and Network+ certified techs. Hopefully I'll hear from the employer this week for an interview.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • smtpsclsmtpscl Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is not as difficult as some make it out to be to start you own business doing computer tech support. I've been doing for about a year and it's work out pretty well. You just have to be able to appear confident and personable when you're doing work for people. Once you get you foot in the door satisfied customers may refer you to their friends and neighbours. It also is helpful to use advertising effectively to generate potential customers. The yellow pages and the internet advertising have worked great for me.
  • rainman03rainman03 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    12.35 an hour...that should do until I find out about my "other" job...takes a year to get everythying around and I can save some money for a rainy day this way!
  • johnboyrjohnboyr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    johnboyr wrote:
    I have an internet connection at home... but if I ever grow tired of watching **** in the privacy of my own home, I may consider that store.

*snicker*
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rainman03 wrote:
    Hello. I'm applying at the Geek Squad at a new store location as a last resort incase all my other jobs that I've applied for fall through or dont pan out. I'm currently A+, Network+, CST, and CNST certified and I hope to be MCP certifed and well on my way to MCSA or MCDST before the end of August. How much is a reasonable amout that they will offer me and what level in the Geek Squad does this normally get you?

Thanks in advance!

it sounds to me as you need to be applying else where and not just with them .. use a recruiting firm. they are great for new techs to break in
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • brettsaysdiebrettsaysdie Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Geek Squad is a tough place to work, but largely depends on management at your store. In store positions pay like **** unless you're supervisor of Geek squad or appliances, which pays more then most other positions in the store $16-22, but if you're considering Geek Squad the place you actually want to be is in home. The pay is considerably better for double agents as well as more opportunities for increased pay. You can get a normal in home tech job with a specialization such as comercial technologies seeing pay over $20 an hour and not dealing with dicks in the store, as in home agents have a home store, but are considered corporate employees. A one per region position of Special Agent exists which can pay upwards of $30 and you still stay out of the salary slavery mechanics BBY uses on managers. The starting pay cap for GS in my area is now $12.50, in the past I've rehired qualified techs coming back for extra money at $15, since the economy crashed pay grades have been restructured to take advantage of the desperate unemployed.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Holy thread resurrection batman. :D

You resurrected a 4 year old thread.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    rainman03 wrote: »
    I have since been turned off to retail chain stores and really wanted a job that seems to treat people like a human rather than a lowest bid resource.

Then my advice is to not work for the federal government.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Geek Squad is a tough place to work, but largely depends on management at your store. In store positions pay like **** unless you're supervisor of Geek squad or appliances, which pays more then most other positions in the store $16-22, but if you're considering Geek Squad the place you actually want to be is in home. The pay is considerably better for double agents as well as more opportunities for increased pay. You can get a normal in home tech job with a specialization such as comercial technologies seeing pay over $20 an hour and not dealing with dicks in the store, as in home agents have a home store, but are considered corporate employees. A one per region position of Special Agent exists which can pay upwards of $30 and you still stay out of the salary slavery mechanics BBY uses on managers. The starting pay cap for GS in my area is now $12.50, in the past I've rehired qualified techs coming back for extra money at $15, since the economy crashed pay grades have been restructured to take advantage of the desperate unemployed.

break this down a little please... too jumbled... what do you mean you want to be home?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my area the in store techs make like $12 last time I interviewed there. I've had two interviews there during times I was unemployed and they never hired me. Interview usually came to an abrupt halt when I said I would only work 40 hours a week and no weekends. They didn't like that :D. They were telling me that in store techs need to start at around 12 hours a week and earn the rest of their hours. That was less then unemployment paid me so no thanks.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    break this down a little please... too jumbled... what do you mean you want to be home?
    In home as in an in-home tech. What GS calls Double Agents. The guys/galls who drive the bugs.
  • curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They aired a Show in UK on TV, which exposed major pc repair shops, they showed "Tech Guys" at PC World looking through peoples pictures and carrying out, many other bad practices! It was quite hilarious to see, what these "Great" Techs get up too!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well, it is getting near Halloween, so I guess the necromancers are coming out early.

Edit: And I suppose in honor of the approaching holiday, and of the threads ressurection, there's a link I feel obligated to share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyWQBp108NQ