Quick Update

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey All,

So a few months ago in August I left a job do to a hostile work environment and not being allowed to get much networking exposure even though i was a Networking Engineer. I had only been there 6 months, and just felt that my path/career goals would not be fulfilled no matter how long I stayed.

After a couple of delays (On my end) I have finally signed my offer letter for the location I've been contracting for since August....and I am now Manager of Desktop Support & Engineering.

I will tell you Management is allout.gifallout.gificon_silent.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif
It definitely has its own set of challenges that are quite unique, as I am sure everyone is aware. I literally felt like I have to be a mentor/therapist/escalation point and all the other fantastic things that goes into giving individuals their day to day cadence while working on integrating SLA/OLA Service Level Improvements and all that other goodness that keeps me hiding half the day... lol It's been a great learning experience.

I was able to get a signing bonus/ and my Salary will be a tick over $90,000.. up from the 50,000 I was making as a network engineer. We are always in the middle of some world changing project, so as time slows down I look to be able to interact a little more with TE. Hope everyone is doing well. Keep pushing, and studying. Know your worth, and keep striving to achieve it. Later!

Comments

• coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well that's quite a jump in pay and you clearly deserve it. Good for you!
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    People don't have the guts to chase their dreams, that's why they're unhappy their whole lives. Congratulations, that's a nice pay raise.
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great advancement !
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Damn I am jealous, that is quite the pay raise sir!!

they are definitely low balling you as a network engineer, i am making close to 50k as a service desk analyst
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    Damn I am jealous, that is quite the pay raise sir!!

they are definitely low balling you as a network engineer, i am making close to 50k as a service desk analyst

Sacramento though! That job title around here is 28-35K usually.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    No way, he was low balled in that network engineer position. If you check out Simplyhired, Payscale, and Indeed, the average Network Engineer position in Skokie is going to pay anywhere from 70K - 100K.

Network Engineer Salary in Skokie, IL | Indeed.com
    Network Engineer Ccie Salaries in Skokie, IL | Simply Hired

Unless it's your first IT job EVER and your boss decided to give you the name "network engineer" for fun without any real networking, you should never be paid 28-35K a year to be network engineer. That's nowhere near market rate.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like that, if he had the title of network engineer and wasn't allowed to get network exposure. Either way, congrats on the huge move upward!
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Unless it's your first IT job EVER and your boss decided to give you the name "network engineer" for fun without any real networking, you should never be paid 28-35K a year to be network engineer. That's nowhere near market rate.

I agree with the sentiment, but you wouldn't believe how many 40-50K networking jobs I've seen listed in LA lately. Unless you're working high-end stuff like AWS/Linux/Puppet/CCIE-level, people are starting to lowball for these.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Heh... There are always lowballers out there but the reality is that those jobs will either not get filled or have extremely high turnover or theyll get someone so fresh that they dont know any better. For every one of those 40k bs lowball jobs out there, there is are five recruiters trying to fill positions for six figures or close to for networking.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work on the position upgrade. Cash is king!
  • NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Wow! Congratulations, that is wonderful news.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks All..

It was definitely a low ball. I had two other offers at the time but they were on Desktop Side for 65+.. I was trying to get into Networking though, as I was on Desktop for a few years, and I wanted to move over to Networking. They promised I'd be able to touch the network, touch the routers and do configuration. However the truth came out within a month there. They have very high turnover because the position is actually a Desktop Engineer position, but they market it and give the Networking Title to try to get higher level people.

Since I was trying to get into Networking and it was a 5k raise from my previous desktop position, the 50K was something I spent about a day seriously trying to justify as an opportunity to get the title, and the experience. I felt the money would come in a few years.. however.. I was quickly told that my company pulls that tactic and the position I was in has been filled 5x in 3 years because of the deception. Network Engineers should be able to do networking... I wasn't going to be able too.. so that was a short stop. They totally Bait & Switched, and the person they hired in August put in his notice as well, as i still have friends who talk to me from there.. he was there 3 months.

BTW... I didn't negotiate, didn't even ask for more (Network Engineer offer at 50K) .. I hadn't learned the "Salary game" at that time. I had a 1 month old son and a non working wife.. so I took it.. however, I have learned many things about salary negotiation and leverage. I took the low offer knowing it was low for what I offered and my experience and certifications.. I just justified it at the time.

Combination of desperation, potential, and the promises they made.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow thats quite a jump!
    Congrats