VLAN's

alimoealimoe Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
what's purpose of an access link??

Comments

• Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The "access link" is a physical connection from the router to the frame relay switch in a frame relay network. It has nothing to do with VLANs. On this "access link", the LMI protocol monitors the connection and let's us know if the virtual circuits between the router's is up. Hope this helps!!!
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • alimoealimoe Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In the sybex 640-607 book they give a brief explaination on access links affiliated with VLAN's. Can someone help me out?? I'm still a little bit unclear on its purpose.
  • JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    to the best of my knowledge, there are 2 types of links, access links and trunk links. trunk links carry multiple vlan info across switches and access links carry information for only one vlan. so trunk links would be fast ethernet links between two switches and access links would be a link carrying info for one vlan from a switch to that lan.
  • Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alimoe wrote:
    In the sybex 640-607 book they give a brief explaination on access links affiliated with VLAN's. Can someone help me out?? I'm still a little bit unclear on its purpose.

Wow, never heard trunking called access links....
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech
  • cctrainercctrainer Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes the sybex book is correct. You have trunk links and access links. Trunk links carry all VLAN info (by default). An access link carries only one VLAN. So basically links to PC's and servers are access links and links to routers and other switches are trunk links.
    Check out http://www.cictech.co.uk/html/ccna_revtool.html for a free CCNA resource
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    trunk links are fast ethernet port links such as 26 and 27 on 1900 series switches that ultilise VLAN tagging to identify which VLANs the frames propogating are from say if you have more than 1 VLAN on each switch in a multi switch network.

access links have no affiliation with switching to my knowledge and are reserved for frame relay whereby the 'access link' is a leased line from the DTE ie router to the DCE ie frame relay switch and is managed by the LMI protocol 1 of 3 types cisco ansi or q933a LMI type.

does that help at all?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • cctrainercctrainer Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Access-link" is used in frame-relay terminology, BUT it is also used in VLAN terminology. Check out the 7th question at the end of this document http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/lanswtch.htm#xtocid4
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    ur correct wow ive never heard of an access link on switching although it seems viable terminology for a standard link between switches or nodes that carry only single vlan info so would a switch with default setup for VLANs like just utilising VLAN 1 as default mean that all ports would be just access links and not trunk links?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '