Passed Security+

blemoine-ablemoine-a Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I guess two times is a charm! Got an 825 and finally passed. What a relief! Had three or four Sims as well one of which I couldn't get to do anything. Brought it too the attention of the proctor and she looked at me like "would are you looking at me for I can't help you" Used Darril's book as the main text, got Exam Cram and listened to Prof Messer in the car religiously. Would like to Move on eventually to CISSP but first a well deserved break through the holidays for this guy.

Comments

• ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Good Job! Enjoy your Christmas and New Year!
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • new2ITSecuritynew2ITSecurity Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi there!!

Congrats on your pass! I am sitting for the test next week. I was wondering how you listened to Prof. Messer in your car. Did you purchase his videos? Trying to get all the info in before next week icon_study.gif. Any suggestions on what to study for this last week? Thanks!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • blemoine-ablemoine-a Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Back, What I did was record the audio files from the internet videos and burned them to a disc. I have a 1hr plus commute to work each day so listening to the audio files helped. I could put two or three segments on each disc. Hope this helps. Read Darrils book that was huge for me.
  • MrWiltzMrWiltz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is this your first cert?

I am thinking about making Security+ my first cert but I was told that it is best to have Network+ cert first. I am still wondering if that is really needed because I have a Computer Networking Associates degree so I was hoping it would cancel out.

Security+ or Network+ as a cert to get first!?!?!?!

Can someone help me with my decision!?!?!
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • idk.idk. Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrWiltz wrote: »
    Is this your first cert?

I am thinking about making Security+ my first cert but I was told that it is best to have Network+ cert first. I am still wondering if that is really needed because I have a Computer Networking Associates degree so I was hoping it would cancel out.

Can someone help me with my decision!?!?!

I am going to take the Sec+ without Net+, I have studied for Net+ and CCNA previously however. You can pass without net+ but you will have to study a little more if you are not familiar with networking.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass and glad to the hear the book helped. Good luck with the CISSP after the holiday break.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    MrWiltz wrote: »

The Network+ certification or knowledge is a prerequisite for the Security+ certification so it is recommended first.

Did your AS in Computer Networking provide you with a solid foundation in networking? Only you can answer that definitively but you might not have that answer now. However, studying for the Network+ certification and passing it would ensure you have that base of knowledge and it would help you in most IT networking/security career paths.
    (I have no idea of the quality of your AS degree in Computer Networking but recently ran into someone bragging that they recently completed an AS degree but never bought a single book. They also had some significant holes in their knowledge but seemed to think that the AS degree was all they needed.)

Could you take and pass the Security+ cert without the Network+? Absolutely! Many people have done so without the AS in Computer Networking. With the right book, you could probably self-study and have this certification within 30 days.

Bottom line - your choice.
    Network+ and Security+ helps ensure you have a solid foundation.
    Security+ (without Net+) helps you start moving onto higher certifications sooner.

Hope this helps.