Server 2012 R2 Update

SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to start the Server 2012 MCSA in the next week or 2, and have started looking at resources /books to purchase, . Going by 03 & 08 updates can anyone give me an of how much the content/objectives will change, how soon the updated books are released after the objectives are? Since the R2 update is released on January, does the exam in become the R2 version in January also, or does MS give you a while to do the original test if thats what you have been studying, or can you choose to do the old exam for a period?

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would try to get 70-410 done as soon as possible before R2 changes happen in January. Then the MS Press book for 70-411 is released on January 22nd. Then the book for 70-412 is released in March. The 411 & 412 books will have R2 updates in them from release, the 410 book won't have R2 updates so you will probably have to read this Microsoft R2 book for the 410 exam if you don't take it before the changes happen in January.

The R2 changes are seemless, you take the same exam number but the questions change to reflect the new R2 objectives.

Good luck with your tests!
  • Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    I wish you the best of luck. For the 70-410 exam it really helps to build yourself a virtual 2012 server once or twice. Just so you can see the different screens and have a visual. Also, get familiar with powershell.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As previously stated, the exam questions are scheduled to reflect R2 in January. We don't yet know if it will be January 1 or January 31 or where in between. Don't let the R2 questions worry you too much. Being aware of the changes may help you out quite a bit. If you see R2 info as an answer, it will likely be a good guess if you don't know the correct answer absolutely. They seem to like to promote the new information when they can. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to take at least one of the exams ASAP. If you have experience with 08 and 03, you will likely not need a great deal of time to fill the gaps. There are significant differences in the interface so you will absolutely will need a machine (physical or virtual) to play with but the concepts are the same. There is also some people that believe it is easier to do 70-411 before you do 70-410. There is more on 70-411 that would help you when learning what you need for the 70-410 than vice-versa. I did take 70-410 first myself so while I agree with the idea in concept, I did not actually do it myself. I was already too deep in my 70-410 prep to change my direction.
  • barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All the R2 extra content they will be testing on is on each of the pages below, look for the link that says "content covering windows server 2012 R2"

Exam 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
    Exam 70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
    Exam 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services

It says starting in January so presuming it must be from the start of Jan.
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Starting in January 2014, the questions on this exam will include content covering Windows Server 2012 R2.

I also believe that R2 exam will start from Jan 1 2014..
    I am planning to write my 412 before DEC 31... :)
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^^ i am taking my 70-412 on the 18th for this exact reason!
    I am hoping to get the 70-412 in Christmas week for that reason too.
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    booked my 412 on Dec 24... time to study :)
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those of you that were trying to ace the 412 before the new year starts, how's that going? I just passed the 411 on 12/21. I was hoping to study as much as possible and take the 412 on the 28th, but I haven't been as productive as hoped with the holidays. Would I be crazy for going into the exam with a half week's worth or preparation (watched the entire CBT Nuggets and reviewed the Transcender practice exams)?

Any insight and opinion is appreciated.
  • flytymeflytyme Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @SamMerlotte Something to also consider is the time availability of testing centers as the year comes to an end. I strongly suggest that you directly contact any testing facility and not just depend on any online scheduling page. You may find that there are many people trying to schedule tests at year end to beat version changes, use company funds, avoid expiring vouchers, or gain tax deductions. You don't want to be locked out.
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Review the exam objectives, and bet $150 whether you can explain all the concepts or not. That should help you decide if your ready or not. I have read the Transcender tests are pretty good, so atleast you have a good baseline of your scores.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • tecjohnsontecjohnson Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Review the exam objectives, and bet $150 whether you can explain all the concepts or not. That should help you decide if your ready or not. I have read the Transcender tests are pretty good, so atleast you have a good baseline of your scores.

That is basically what I am doing....except I am using Microsoft Second Shot to hedge the bet. I am not sure I am completely ready for this exam but knowing that if I fail it I can retake it in a couple of months for free makes it a lot easier.
  • Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    Any confirmation on if the R2 material is going to be added Jan 1st or 31st? I keep hearing a little of both.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the heads up.

Unbelievable, they have put the R2 books released date back AGAIN. They are only 12 months late! lol

I was going to do 410 before the R2 changes but I've changed my mind, I'm going to wait instead and do some more VMware tinkering...
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    typical, my exam is booked two days after the changes :) might just go ahead and take it on the 27th and cover R2 material before going onto the other exams.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
    Hexem - I would definitely recommend changing the date if possible. I don't think the R2 information will be a game changer on the exam since you only need a 700 but for a couple of days it seems worth it to ensure the best possible result. Even if they only add 5 R2 questions - that could be about 100 points.