Options

Possible to be both MCSA and MCSE ?

icon_confused.gif: Is it possible to be both MCSA and MCSE ? icon_confused.gif:

Forgive my ignorance, I am rather new to the whole certification scene...and by the way this is also my "hello I am the new guy" thread.

I am a computer programmer and a network admin for a mid sized company - after being employed for close to 6 years, I am just now getting around on certifications.

My long term goals are to be an MCSE and MCPD (in c#) and MCITP (sql 2005 developer) - originally I was aiming for an MCSA intead of an MCSE.

To get into the swing of things I passed both CompTIA A+ and Network+....currently reading a book on Security+ but not really all that interested in the book (think the author is drull and boring).

MCSA 4 Total Required
1 Elective
A+ / Network+ Fullfill the elective

1 Client Operating System exam
70-270 Windows XP (this also gets youthe MCP cert?)

2 Networking exams
70–290 Managing Windows 2003
70–291 Implementing Windows 2003

MCSE 7 total required

Elective
Security+

1 Client Operating System exam
70-270 Windows XP (is this super easy ?).

4 Networking exams
70–290 Managing Windows 2003
70–291 Implementing Windows 2003
70-293 Planning and Maintaining
70-294 Planning, Implementing

Design
70-298 Designing Security (Does Security+ fill this also)?

Did I do that right?

So to me it looks like - I would end up with the following certifications...
A+ (part of an MCSA elective)
Network+ (part of an MCSA elective)
Security+ (MCSE elective and 70-298 Design test?)
MCP - you get this for passing any one MS test
MCSA - I should currently be 4 tests away?
MCSE - focused in security - is it really worth it or should I stop at MCSA?

Or do the tests (like 70-270 Windows XP ) not count for both MCSA and MCSE?

Any help or tips would be great - like I said my long term goals are MCSE - MCPD - MCTIP

But with the "new generation" of MS certs coming out, it is hard to know what I should be working on....not to mention Vista is coming soon.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You can be both, as MCSA requires 218, and SE does not. You probably don't need MCSA with your experience, not to mention, it has nothing to do with C#, or other code writing, but neither does SE. You can use the A+/Net+ combo for the elective for either MCSA/E. The rest looks about right.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Ricka182 wrote:
    You can be both, as MCSA requires 218, and SE does not. You probably don't need MCSA with your experience, not to mention, it has nothing to do with C#, or other code writing, but neither does SE. You can use the A+/Net+ combo for the elective for either MCSA/E. The rest looks about right.....

Ya... most people write code or manage networks, my current job has me doing both. I am not the best or the worst. So I figure that I might as well get certified in both.

At least being certified in both should make future job hunting alot easier icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Generally everyone becomes an MCSA then moves on to MCSE.

Basically every exam you take for mcsa is required for mcse.

Additionally if you were going to get the security+ exam it counts as an elective towards mcsa and mcse, so then there is no point on the network+ and A+ combo.
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    You can be both, as MCSA requires 218, and SE does not. ..

Windows 2003 MCSA does not require 70-218. That exam is for the older 2000 mcsa certification.
  • Options
    Thanks guys -

Just went out and bought a book for the 70-270 Windows XP test....after looking at the book I wonder if I will need it lol.

Will take the practice tests and see if / where my weak spots on windows XP are at.

As for the previous poster - yes now I realize that the A+ / Network+ combo is pointless and I should have just done the Security+ exam...but at least I have two crisp new certifications on my wall.

As a side note- anyone look at the new certifications - any ideas how this will effect current MCSEs?
  • Options
    Hey bcairns,

I apolagize. I in no way meant to talk bad about your a+ and net+. I didnt even look at your list of certs and from reading your post i was under the impression that you were starting from ground 0. A+ and net+ are 2 more bullets on a resume and 2 more certs for the wall. Good luck on the remainder of your MCSE quest,

also be sure and read the technotes here for the 270 exam. I read them over a weekend and it was enough for me to pass. *i did have alot of xp experience though
  • Options
    Hey bcairns,

I apolagize. I in no way meant to talk bad about your a+ and net+. I didnt even look at your list of certs and from reading your post i was under the impression that you were starting from ground 0. A+ and net+ are 2 more bullets on a resume and 2 more certs for the wall. Good luck on the remainder of your MCSE quest,

also be sure and read the technotes here for the 270 exam. I read them over a weekend and it was enough for me to pass. *i did have alot of xp experience though

No need - I was not offended - rather thought it was funny :)

Originaly I started the A+ just because it has been 10+ years since I have taken any type of test - took the network+ test because the book I read for A+ recomended it - found out later they can be applied to the MCSA.

Started on Security+ but I keep reading that test is horrid - hard as heck and full of hard to read questions - not to mention you have to get about an 90% or better to pass. Still conflicted about Security+ not sure if I want to go for it or just do the MS exams.

My main focus is on Network Admin and Computer Programming - those are the only types of jobs that seem to be available - besides short order cook icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This was my path I took and I'm both MCSA and MCSE:

70-270 - MCP
    70-290
    70-291
    Security+ - MCSA
    70-293
    70-294
    70-298 - MCSE
    70-299 - MCSA/MCSE: Security

So while I am a MCSE I am also a MCSA; I just don't use that designation.

Network+ and A+ combined count as an MCSA elective so you could have A+, N+, 70-270, and 70-290 and be certified. For me, I used Security+ as my elective since I don't have A+.
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    bcairns wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:

Ya... most people write code or manage networks, my current job has me doing both. I am not the best or the worst. So I figure that I might as well get certified in both.

At least being certified in both should make future job hunting alot easier icon_lol.gif

LOL >> Same here, my job as a Data Manager i do both programming and network admin.....
    stonecold26.jpg