Nervous about LX0-102

Leftya88Leftya88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

Been lurking on this forum for a while, but felt the need to post as my LX0-102 date draws nearer! Hoping to calm some of the pre-certification jitters. I passed the 101 first try with a 610 (nothing spectacular) but after reading some of the intel on this board about the LX0-102, I feel less confident than I did for the first one. Specifically, in the areas of SQL, SSH and anything X. For SQL i plan on just building a few tables and making modifications (using the Rod Smith book as a guide) so hopefully that will be sufficient. For SSH, i plan on setting up a server/client config on two Virtual Boxes if possible. Finally, for X...i have no idea how to practice. I've read and re-read that section of the book as well as watched the testout material, but that particular portion is very dry and since I don't have a need to re-configure anything X I'm having trouble making that portion stick. Any ideas? Thanks guys...should be going up for this in early December!icon_study.gif

Comments

• southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I wish I had some advice to give you, but I am nervous about the 101 exam. Any advice for me? Sorry to hijack your thread.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Leftya88, I just passed 101/102 not more than 2 months ago, I think it took me 3-4 weeks. I failed 102 by 1 or 2 questions on first try, but passed on second. I can tell you with SQL, there are only a few questions, so I think you would be better off spending your time where you said you needed it, with the security domain and X window stuff. Definitely have a good grasp of both of those, Testout's material should be sufficient.

When I failed 102 on my first try, I had only went thought Testout stuff once and was getting ~90% on domain/ practice exams. After the fail, I went through the Testout stuff again and I used a couple VMs too and thought it helped to really "cement" some concepts in my brain. I just did all the Testout stuff until I was getting 100% on their practice/domain exams this time. Then I did UCertify practice exams until I was consistently getting over 90%. I also Google'd some stuff that I was having trouble with that really helped to clarify some things for me. Good luck!

south, the 101 exam is actually not that bad when compared to 102 if I remember correctly. Definitely use VMs if your not already as it really helps. Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Leftya88Leftya88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    South,

From what i remember, be up on your package management stuff. Take your time. I went thru the exam and answered around 40 first go, and took my time on the other 20 I wasn't immediately sure about. Know command switches, configuration files and their contents, etc.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a.f.a.i.k the sql part is nothing more than delete join select stuff don't be too bothered to know more than the very basic. Linux+ is a starter certification that requires basic knowledge in Linux. most command switches make sense anyway and present the first letter of the actual action such as -i for install/info depending on the command itself.
    Feeling more confident now, built all the tables and did all the examples for SQL in the Rod Smith book, going to try to set up an SSH server next weekend; scheduled the exam for Dec. 16th.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Good luck on the exam mate!
    It's a wrap! I scored a 630, I'll take it! I will say though, that per some of the other posts on this board, that exam had a much different feel than LX0-101. Feels good to be done. Think i'm gonna take a couple weeks off, enjoy my Christmas holidays and then start on something else.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Congratulations! What's next on the agenda?
  • tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
    Thanks for the well-wishes! Honestly, probably Network+. I had told myself i was going to skip it and go straight to the CCENT, towards that end I had already taken the first two CCNA Exploration classes at the local community college, but If Net+ isn't that bad I'll probably just take a month and knock it out. In the Linux world, I would like to take the Red Hat training (distance learning cloud-based version) and get my RHCSA, but I don't have 4k at the moment lol.