Options

What resources did you use to pass 70-410? MCSA 2012

nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
After researching different resources available for 70-410 prep, I'm getting a lot of mixed signals about which study books are real winners when it comes to adequately preparing Windows server newbies to pass the intro exam. For example, the Microsoft press books seem to get really mixed reviews online.

I don't have time to study materials that are not effective and valuable towards the end goal, so my question is, which combination of study materials helped you pass 70-410?

I prefer organized books to flipping through endless wiki articles, but I'm open to suggestions. icon_cool.gif
2018 goal: CCNA Collaboration - B]210-060[/B

Comments

• Options
    MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    for the 70-410 I really liked the Microsoft Press Exam Ref and Training guides. I think together they give you most of what you need to pass the test. I think the key is that you need at least a virtual machine to do the labs from the training guide. You can find virtual machine software for free (I think you just need to be running Windows 7 or better. If you have Windows 8 you just need to activate hyper-V) that will do the trick and you can download a evaluation copy of Server 2012 for free for 90 days. That is more than enough time to practice for this cert (really you could do the three exams for MCSA in my opinion in 3 months). I think the problem with just using the Exam Ref alone is that you don't get the hands on you need though it is an easier read. The Training guide is a boring one to read but it gives you the hands on.
  • Options
    MSSoftie wrote: »
    for the 70-410 I really liked the Microsoft Press Exam Ref and Training guides. I think together they give you most of what you need to pass the test. I think the key is that you need at least a virtual machine to do the labs from the training guide. You can find virtual machine software for free (I think you just need to be running Windows 7 or better. If you have Windows 8 you just need to activate hyper-V) that will do the trick and you can download a evaluation copy of Server 2012 for free for 90 days. That is more than enough time to practice for this cert (really you could do the three exams for MCSA in my opinion in 3 months). I think the problem with just using the Exam Ref alone is that you don't get the hands on you need though it is an easier read. The Training guide is a boring one to read but it gives you the hands on.

Thanks MSSoftie. Can I ask you how much experience you had with Windows Server before you began studying to pass the 70-410 exam? I have had hands on experience with Windows Server 2008 but not much from an administrative standpoint. Thank for your input.
  • Options
    MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Almost no experience with Server 2012 before started to study for the MSCE Server 2012 Infrastructure certification (what I am currently working on). My current position has virtually no relation to the administration of server 2012 but I am able to have a couple of servers at my desk at work. I also am lucky enough to have time and resources at work for my study. I have worked with 2008 a decent amount and a little with 2003. If you understand the concepts from 2008 you will have a decent start on 2012 but there are still a lot of differences in the interface to learn about with 2012. That is why the hands on for me was so helpful.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I didn't take the exam yet I am currently studying for the exam myself but I can contribute what seems to be helping me understand what I am studying, I am reading the Microsoft press exam ref book and using the CBT Nuggets and following along with their demonstration during a lessons, for this I am using Oracle virtual machine running Win server 2012 in my virtual lab environment. Hope this will help and all the best!!!!
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Well I didn't take the exam yet I am currently studying for the exam myself but I can contribute what seems to be helping me understand what I am studying, I am reading the Microsoft press exam ref book and using the CBT Nuggets and following along with their demonstration during a lessons, for this I am using Oracle virtual machine running Win server 2012 in my virtual lab environment. Hope this will help and all the best!!!!

Thanks Snow.bros. I have a home lab (originally for CCENT) where I plan to lab WS 2012. I just ordered both MS press books for 70-410 and plan to re-sub CBT after I finish one of the books. I'll probably start with the exam ref as well.

What has been your previous experience with Windows Server?
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nopixel wrote: »

What has been your previous experience with Windows Server?
    I have never worked with a server system before only troubleshooting hardware related issues and installed Win Server 2008/12 here and there but never worked in the system, at the moment I am still trying to familiarise myself with Win server 2012 in my virtual lab.