GCIH Self-Study

mazxmazx Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,
I hope you are well,

I'm preparing myself to take GCIH exam. I'm going to purchase Counter Hack Reloaded to start with, my questions is about the book, it's 7-8 years old is it still relevant and worth purchasing? I know that some of the new attacks, tools, methods aren't there but what do you think?

I know there's some threads about the book, but I want to make sure before I click the purchase button.

Please advise me.
(sorry about my english)

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm currently on the the last week of the SANS: Hacker Techniques, Exploits & Incident Handling vLive class. To be honest, I cannot imagine trying to challenge the certification exam without the classroom books. I'm not sure how relevant the book is for the exam, but I do know the content is still a good read for security professionals.
  • mazxmazx Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice man, I checked the vLive classes it looks good but a bit expensive, I will give do some self-study for a month and see whever it takes me.

Anyone else have an input on the book? Please advise me.

Thanks everyone!
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always been curious about self-study prep for GIAC exams as well. Can you purchase the SANS books without taking the classes?
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    No. You only get the books after paying for the class in any of its variants: classroom, vLive, OnDemand. I took the class in October and am currently studying. I ended up buying the Skoudis book to prep for the class. Even though it's old it is very relevant for the cert. Problem with SANS certs is that they update the material fairly often so you are technically at a disadvantage if you don't attend the class. It would definitely be difficult.
  • mazxmazx Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I'm going to purchase Skoudis book and start with it after that I'll go for OnDemand class and the exam.

It's going to be my first cert in information security, i hope it's a good start.