Failed 70-410 again

Xenith19Xenith19 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Got a 612. Last attempt was a 595. I suppose it's better than doing worse. That would really have devastated my motivation.

On my first attempt Group Policy was my weakest point. Studied that in depth. On this attempt it was my strongest point, and Hyper-V my weakest.

Server Roles and Features was my second weakest, and I’m having trouble understanding exactly the scope of knowledge that encompasses. The t3ch_guru thread details it, but I can’t remember many questions on those topics, and furthermore I thought I had a decent command of them.

I found an enormous 391 page Hyper-V e-book, and frankly I’m considering going through the entire thing. I’m getting so paranoid about Microsoft exams. Took me 4 attempts to pass the 70-680. Going down the same route here.

Kudos to t3ch_guru’s thread for one thing in particular: The step-by-step Windows Firewall lab was indispensable. I’ve always been hazy on WFAS and IPSec, and this was great. I saw the Ipv6 lab too, and will take that.
If anyone has any more of these lab guides, I’d pay through the nose for them.

Comments

• ZandokanZandokan Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that man, what material did you use for your studies?
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have heard that 70-411 is actually easier than the 70-410 and the material on 70-411 can help you prepare more for the70-410 than vice versa. I got that from people who are extremely familiar with the material on all the server exams. Maybe that is something you might consider.

Good Luck to you next time
  • dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found 70-411 easier to pass than 70-410 but thats probably because I had to really get familiar with Hyper-V etc.. 70-411 builds on top of what you learned in 70-410. Highly suggest you setup a server with Hyper-V role and deploy some vm's and go through all of the questions on measureup and really study the reasons behind each answer.
  • Xenith19Xenith19 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Zandokan wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that man, what material did you use for your studies?

I used transcender, the sybex book, and the resources thread in this forum. My lab environment is GNS3.
    Xenith19 wrote: »
    I used transcender, the sybex book, and the resources thread in this forum. My lab environment is GNS3.

Passed on the third try! By the skin of my teeth. Got a 730.

Dear God I'm so happy I don't have to refocus my study for the 3rd time. At some point you just don't know what else to study.

I thought sure I failed it again when I clicked the end exam button. On this attempt they hit me much harder on IPv6 which is typically a weakness, and predictably the Core Network Services area was my second weakest area. My weakest area was Active Directory, mostly because they asked a lot of very precise questions about Group Membership and control of Groups using Powershell.

On my first attempt I did worst in Group Policy. So I studied that. On my second attempt I did best in Group Policy and worst in Hyper-V. So I studied Hyper-V. On this attempt I did best in Install and Configure Servers and tied for 2nd in Group Policy and Hyper-V. So I guess that approach works, provided you don't mind failing twice to get there.

Such a relief. Now I'm working on the 70-243 since we're deploying System Center here, then sometime early next year I'll jump on the 70-411 and 12.
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Grats on the pass. I'm currently studying for my 70-685 and then I'm jumping on to this when I'm done.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Grats on the pass. I'm currently studying for my 70-685 and then I'm jumping on to this when I'm done.

Good luck guy. Saw you got the 70-680. I got that on the 4th attempt. :)
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Mine was Technically my third attempt. I took it right after it first came out, and I was floored by it. I didn't want to waste more money after bad and I had an IT job so I was happy.

I received a new job (Thank you 14 years of experience), and they are paying for all of my certifications. I'm so excited about that one! I feel like my brain is bleeding from all the studying I have been doing.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Mine was Technically my third attempt. I took it right after it first came out, and I was floored by it. I didn't want to waste more money after bad and I had an IT job so I was happy.

I received a new job (Thank you 14 years of experience), and they are paying for all of my certifications. I'm so excited about that one! I feel like my brain is bleeding from all the studying I have been doing.

Dude, no joke. I'm in the exact same boat. Boss is very proactive about training and reimburses all costs towards certifications. Best job I ever had.
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done for getting the pass! I just failed with 682, which was pretty annoying but at the same time, it means im not ready and sort of glad I failed because I knew there was some stuff I needed but I ran out of time. I took 4 weeks but feel 6 weeks is more realistic per exam.

Im going to take 410 and 411 on the same day next year, not sure if its a good idea but I was already close on the 410 so just going to study the 411 after Xmas so ive not lost really any time. The test center is far for me and getting time off is difficult.
    Good luck wallpaper. What area did you do worst in?
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Install and configure, which I found strange because in practice I found that the easiest and I did best in Group Policy which I struggled in! Go figure...

Im booked in for this again and the next one on 14th Feb. Im pretty confident in passing because I was so close last time but I hear they are changing the exams in Jan and adding the R2 stuff. Annoying because I was hoping to remember some of the questions from last time as I know some which I messed up on!
    Install and configure, which I found strange because in practice I found that the easiest and I did best in Group Policy which I struggled in! Go figure...

Im booked in for this again and the next one on 14th Feb. Im pretty confident in passing because I was so close last time but I hear they are changing the exams in Jan and adding the R2 stuff. Annoying because I was hoping to remember some of the questions from last time as I know some which I messed up on!

My opinion is that there aren't enough differences between 2012 and R2 to merit a serious change in your studies. With the exception of hyper-v, the 70-410 seems to test mostly on fundamentals. I actually used the 70-642 transcender exam (Server 2008 Network Infrastructure) to study the networking portions.

I could be utterly wrong, but that's my impression.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    every credit for your persistance and congrats on a hard earned pass, i wish you the very bect of luck in your future studies

Carl icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops