Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College

STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
We are in the process of scheduling our Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College. If you are interested in taking this course or know someone who is, please be sure to add your name to the wait list at:

https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

Comments

• tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, what are the dates for the upcoming Spring and Summer terms? Thanks in advance.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tier~ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what are the dates for the upcoming Spring and Summer terms? Thanks in advance.

Tentatively, 1st 8 weeks: Jan.15 - Mar. 5 & 2nd 8 weeks: Mar. 19 - May 7.
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    We are in the process of scheduling our Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College. If you are interested in taking this course or know someone who is, please be sure to add your name to the wait list at:

https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

These classes are online including the labs.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I signed up on the waiting list earlier this month. Who can we email to check the estimated class term based off our position in queue? Thanks.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    If we have signed up for the (I presume - being southern hemisphere) Winter course, when would we find out if we made that list? I signed up during your last thread. Is it worth going on to this waitlist as well - Just in case? Thanks.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Signed up, will we just receive an email when we make it?
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kj0 wrote: »
    If we have signed up for the (I presume - being southern hemisphere) Winter course, when would we find out if we made that list? I signed up during your last thread. Is it worth going on to this waitlist as well - Just in case? Thanks.

I gather that if you don't make your first course you're automagically on the wait list for the next.

They tend just to email you when registration opens if you've made it, but be sure to check your spam folders as many have found their emails ending up there.
    As you can imagine, these VMware classes are very popular and tend to fill up quickly. We take registrants in the order in which they added their information to the wait list. We will begin contacting students most likely the first week in December to start the actual registration process for the January sections. You can always check at any time with our Eagle's One Stop as to where you are in the process. That email address is onestop.stanly.edu attention J.Kennedy. The direct phone number to our One Stop is 704-991-0123.

If the sections fill-up for January, then the next people on the list are first in line for the March sections. I hope this answers your questions. We are looking forward to starting the new semester!!
    Since the courses are online, are we able to attend/complete them on our own schedule or is there a set time we must be online/in attendance from week to week? Hoping to be able to complete the course as my schedule permits
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    Since the courses are online, are we able to attend/complete them on our own schedule or is there a set time we must be online/in attendance from week to week? Hoping to be able to complete the course as my schedule permits

You HAVE to login on the first day to give them your VMware account info and to introduce yourself. After that, its go at your on pace.
    tstrip007 wrote: »
    You HAVE to login on the first day to give them your VMware account info and to introduce yourself. After that, its go at your on pace.

This is basically true. However, you are required to show regular progress in the class in order to remain in the class. This is a state mandate. For instance, students are not allowed to go over two weeks without logging in, working on labs, etc. Otherwise, you are allowed to complete your work as your schedule provides.
    Thanks for the response, I don't plan on going weeks without making progress. I basically just wanted to make sure that there aren't time constraints for when you attend the class or do assignments online in the sense of the time of day they are done, (i.e. do them in my free time late at night etc).

Sounds like this course will work out great, I'm excited to begin!
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @STANLY_CC

Thank you, very much, for posting this thread here. I wouldn't have noticed that it was coming up otherwise. I am on the waitlist, and look forward to (hopefully) taking the VMware ICM course through your institution.

I have no questions, I just wanted to let you know that it is highly appreciated.
    redz wrote: »
    @STANLY_CC

Thank you, very much, for posting this thread here. I wouldn't have noticed that it was coming up otherwise. I am on the waitlist, and look forward to (hopefully) taking the VMware ICM course through your institution.

I have no questions, I just wanted to let you know that it is highly appreciated.

You're Welcome.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Yeah, just want to second what Redz said. We really do appreciate the communication and transparency. We are all grateful for the economical VMware training option. I'm tempted to throw an email to the eagle onestop but I don't want to flood his/her mailbox. I'll just wait til early December to find out if I've got a spot.

Good luck to everyone. Keep us posted if you get contacted.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know what time of the day these classes are held? I work full time (I am assuming most of us are), will it be possible for me to go through that class in the evening or at night?

Thank you.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    The vSphere class being referred to here is totally online, 24x7. You watch videos, take 6 or 7 short quizzes, and do about 17 vSphere configuration labs remotely.
    Sorry, but I got another question. What kind of experience is required or assumed to have, for taking this class?

Thank you again.
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    dadaji wrote: »
    Sorry, but I got another question. What kind of experience is required or assumed to have, for taking this class?

Thank you again.

Having just completed the late fall course, I can tell you that you don't need all that much experience. You will need to know ipv4 networking, windows basics and linux doesn't hurt. Based on your certs listed you should be okay. For example, ESXi is based on linux so theres a few touches on linux structure.. and theres a few videos involving adding vsphere to AD, and topics like generalizing a windows virtualized guest OS SIDS and GUIDs. Nothing too majorly deep on the pre-reqs.
    Great. Thank you for the reply. Looking forward to this class.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    If the sections fill-up for January, then the next people on the list are first in line for the March sections. I hope this answers your questions. We are looking forward to starting the new semester!!

I have a question regarding the waitlist process--

I signed up for the 'Summer' waitlist. Does this mean that the summer session is already full, or that those on the waitlist will be contacted/scheduled in the order that they signed up, more akin to a notification list than a waitlist?

Also, if the answer to my previous question is 'notification list', is it possible to be moved up to the second Spring session (by what I assume would be either people dropping or not signing up)?

Thanks!
    The way I understand, they go by the FIFO method, or queue. There isn't separate waiting lists for each Semester. You will be offered a spot for the upcoming semester once you're name comes up on the list.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • smnicolas23smnicolas23 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Signed up. Hopefully, I'll be able to take it soon.
    Just got my email about 4 minutes ago.

Good Morning *******,
    We are now registering for the course listed below, and your name on our wait list has come up. However, before proceeding to registration, please review the following information:
    VMware training is only available to individuals who may be a student in full or part time education, unemployed, career changers or trying to improve their knowledge and are paying for the training themselves. It is not for companies or corporate entities to obtain training for their employees – those individuals must go to a commercial VMware training offering through a VMware authorized commercial training center.
    State Authorization Compliance:
    Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings. Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence. At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota. Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.
    If you are still interested in taking this class, and you are paying your own tuition, please complete the form located here (link removed) by Wednesday, December 11th. Once we have processed your registration, we will send you information on how to go online to our website and submit your payment of $185.00 for the class.
    Here is the class information:
    1/15/2014-3/05/2014 - VMware Vsphere Course – Virtual Online Class
    Important Information: Registration and Lab fees (total $185.00) due at registration. Textbook to be purchased prior to the start of class. This class is conducted entirely online. SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam.
    For information regarding the textbook, you may contact our Bookstore at 704-991-0229 or bookstore@stanly.edu.
    Let me know if you have any questions or need any further assistance.

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
    WGU MSISA
    I got the same email, So I will be signing up once I get home from work.
    very cool.

I think we may need a separate thread for everyone in the January-March class.
    EDIT: Then again, this one works ha.

Who else got in?
    WGU MSISA
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I got in !

The payment email I await for !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

@kj0

Nice blog man! It looks like this course is just going to be a check box for you. Also, your goals in your signature have VCP in 2013, are you taking the test before the class?

Just curious.

Congrats @chanak! I am pretty pumped too. Is that a polish name?
    WGU MSISA
    tprice5 wrote: »
    @kj0

Nice blog man! It looks like this course is just going to be a check box for you. Also, your goals in your signature have VCP in 2013, are you taking the test before the class?

Just curious.
    Thanks mate, I'm trying to keep it up to date as much as I can, only been two months and I still haven't actually put up anything about my study except receiving the books. Course should be easy, test will be hard for me. Blog has turned into the start of a possible business venture now, I think.

As for my goal. Its been one of those years that I wasn't ablt to reach those goals. MCSA I failed twice and just needed to escape to another subject, so I took on VCP and since I received my 5.5 books and we're upgrading to 5.5 at work, I am going to book the 5.5 test as soon as it is announced. so, I might change that.
    Would like to hear more about how you've turned your blog into a money making venture. Feel free to PM me about it as it is something I would love to get into. Then again, who wouldn't want to get paid to voice their opinion on a subject they are interested in, right?
    I am starting my MCSE after VCP and expect, as was with my MCITP, plenty of failures along the way as well.
    I agree that receiving a "Pass" will be a non-issue for everyone who signs in. I am just hoping to learn how to better configure/utilize my home VMware lab and get more than a feature guide to vCenter.
    WGU MSISA