Options

A Ratchokes Journey.....

ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have seen a couple post like this and thought it would be helpful to myself for motivational and assistant purposes. But also to provide a log of the journey I've taken into WGU, and hopefully this helps provide some insight and expectations of others who may be deciding on enrolling in Western Governors University (WGU).

Backround:
To note, I have no real IT work experience, I have worked help desk (more support) for a major video/internet/telephony provider for about four years now. I am however, currently working into getting into the Network Service Desk (NSD) department. Where I would be able to analyze network and data flow to help resolve, redirect date, or escalate as needed per business requirements.

Goal:
My goal is to work as a project management/network engineer being able to help create networks for various med/large sized business. I first learned I wanted to do this while completing my A.S. Network Tech degree from my local community college. I had a lot of fun being able to design, implement, diagnose, hookup networks in a lab based environment.

After I graduate from WGU and wrack up some experience (1-2yrs) I will be working quickly to get a M.S. in MIS or something business related from a traditional Brick and Mortor (B&M) school. This will either be back in California where I'm originally from, or Washington where I am now.

Why I chose WGU:
Hopefully this helps others in their decision, because I am sure many were in my shoes! As much as I would like to go to Washignton University (UW) and graduate with a B.S. in Computer Electrical Engineer (CEE) I neither possessed the funds nor the time. I just recently turned thirty years old and have to work full time.

WGU provided me an opportunity to work on my own time and pace. Although the pace is still considered full-time with 3-4 classes a semester (6month timeframe). I wouldn't be obligated to finish said work assignment at 12am or so. Working w/out a set schedule will give me the flexibility I need to dedicate 18-22 hrs a week of studying. And I wont be wasting an hour on the commute.

WGU also provided me an opportunity to attend school at an affordable rate. And it doesn't hurt that my employer will be paying max $5700 annually. This beats $1300 a credit at UW........Basically, this allows me to further my education w/out going bankrupt after by racking up a 70k debt.

And last but not least, I think the model of WGU being regionally accredited and allowing me to be able to graduate with some great certifications such as: CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Comptia A+/Project/Security was an added bonus.

So in the beginning..................

I chose my start date either beginning of Jan or Feb 2014, this has a lot to do with finances, I had to go to two separate funerals in two different states in the last month, putting a strain on me financially.

I am not sure who my mentor is just yet, but I have received my acceptance letter and intend on moving forward as soon as I can. And the degree I chose was B.S. Information Technology Network Administration (BSitna) or w/e the acronym is. Again I chose it because of the certifications lining up best with my career path.

Transferred:
EUP1, CDP1, TBP1, CIC1, TCP1, TJC1, AGC1, TJP1, BVC1, CLC1, CWV1, DEV1, DHV1, GAC1, CJC1, CDC1, UBT1, IWC1, IWT1, EAV1, EBV1, WFV1, UBC1, EUC1

Total:61 CU

Required:
CUV1, BOV1, COV1, CQV1, CSV1, CTV1, AHV1, MGC1, AIV1, TPV1, BNC1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1

Total: 60 CU

I believe it should take me approximately 2.5 terms and hopefully no longer than 3.

If anyone has any recommendations on any of these classes, such as what to study, prepare, books not recommended via mentor etc. I am more than welcome for your feedback.

I am also going into this with the mentality of getting out of what I put into this program. But that is all for now, and wish me luck!

Comments