CCENT done - advice for the interested

denv540denv540 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, new here..I've used the website for advice but never actually registered. I hope to keep up with the site.

Anyway, passed my CCENT in November CBTNuggets videos, the official study guide and GNS3 is the winning combination for sure. Jeremy for with CBT Nuggets is an awesome teacher and you can really tell he's passionate about what he is doing. I definitely recommend those vidoes, you will however need to read through the book as well. The book goes into detail that is necessary for a deep understanding of the technologies.

Since passing I was able to land an entry level position at a company and i'm currently on the 802.11 (wireless) team. I'm switching gears and going to knock out my CWNA before returning to the CCNA for completeness (hopefully both done within the next 3 months). Then maybe Security+ and Network+ just to throw them on my resume.

Again, I highly recommend checking out the CBT Nugget videos for anyone remotely interested in networking or any of the Cisco certs, Jeremy Cioara is a unique and motivational teacher and I am grateful to have learned from him. Donate to the man!

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on both the pass and the new gig!
  • jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • miller753miller753 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your new job. I am currently studying for my CCENT and then hoping to move to CCNA in the spring. Can I ask how long it took you to find your job? Also, have you previously worked in IT? Thanks for the info..
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congrats on the cert and the new job! Its inspiring for us that are looking to follow in a similar path as yours.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • denv540denv540 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    edit out the bit about the torrents, may not be permitted.

Sorry, done
    miller753 wrote: »
    Congrats on your new job. I am currently studying for my CCENT and then hoping to move to CCNA in the spring. Can I ask how long it took you to find your job? Also, have you previously worked in IT? Thanks for the info..

Yeah no problem, I've had absolutely no IT job experience I have been serving all of my adult life bouncing around restaurant to restaurant..I've always had an interest in computers and technology though..I remember reading the A+ cert book when i was 14 (now 25) just to learn how to build my first computer.

Basically I just searched every possible job posting on craigslist using keywords like CCENT, Networking, CCNA, System Admin, etc..I probably submitted my resume to at least 20 different companies before landing this gig, the key is to keep looking/applying every day and get an interview. The job I landed is not exactly where I want to be but it's a stepping stone and a hell of a lot better than the restaurant industry I've been stuck in. Good luck! certs definitely open doors.
  • Bellman80Bellman80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the cert and the job!

I'm in a very similar situation right now. I have been serving in restaurants for over 6 years but I have always been into computers and technology. I got my A+ a while back and Net+ a couple of months ago, now studying for CCENT.

My question is how did you put down your restaurant experience on your resume if you did it at all? I feel like mentioning it is not helping me much but not saying anything gives an impression that I was unemployed all those years.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's going to look terrible if you get an offer but through the background check they find you lied.
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah no problem, I've had absolutely no IT job experience I have been serving all of my adult life bouncing around restaurant to restaurant..I've always had an interest in computers and technology though..I remember reading the A+ cert book when i was 14 (now 25) just to learn how to build my first computer.

Basically I just searched every possible job posting on craigslist using keywords like CCENT, Networking, CCNA, System Admin, etc..I probably submitted my resume to at least 20 different companies before landing this gig, the key is to keep looking/applying every day and get an interview. The job I landed is not exactly where I want to be but it's a stepping stone and a hell of a lot better than the restaurant industry I've been stuck in. Good luck! certs definitely open doors.

Just like me, im feed up of restaurants and coffe, cisco will open the doors for me... i have A+ and Net+ and will do the cisco very soon.
  • Bellman80Bellman80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    It's going to look terrible if you get an offer but through the background check they find you lied.

I was under impression that I don't have to put on my resume any experience that is not related to the position I'm applying for?

If I were to put my serving experience on my resume, should I list every restaurant I worked at (and years) or just do a summarizing 'worked in a customer service industry for this many years'?
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Awesome to hear a success story about someone trying to get their feet wet in the IT world.
    Bellman80 wrote: »
    Congrats on the cert and the job!

I'm in a very similar situation right now. I have been serving in restaurants for over 6 years but I have always been into computers and technology. I got my A+ a while back and Net+ a couple of months ago, now studying for CCENT.

My question is how did you put down your restaurant experience on your resume if you did it at all? I feel like mentioning it is not helping me much but not saying anything gives an impression that I was unemployed all those years.

Yep, sounds exactly like me so I know how you feel. The main thing is to remember that technology employers are reasonable and very smart people, they know people come from different background/places in life and they will work with you if you show that you are eager to learn and develop. More than anything they want hard and dependable workers. Just like all other employers.

Here is a link my actual resume..I probably changed it a million times before settling on this format. (hope the link works)

Good luck and keep at it..send those resumes everywhere, i'm sure you can get a few bites with your A+ and Net+ certifications. Also do not be afraid to submit your resume to job postings that you don't fully qualify for honestly it can't hurt, maybe they need a position filled quickly and are willing to work with you...you never know.

link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8c4PHg61h4_R1laN0JYTEJzekU/edit?usp=sharing
    I was under impression that I don't have to put on my resume any experience that is not related to the position I'm applying for?

If I were to put my serving experience on my resume, should I list every restaurant I worked at (and years) or just do a summarizing 'worked in a customer service industry for this many years'?

Most recent job is all that is necessary when the previous job positions are not professional..also resumes should be a single page (especially with no professional experience) don't overload your resume with every little thing you know how to do with technology, keep it simple so they can get a snapshot of who you are..the interview is where they can ask more questions if they need to.

Tips I've picked up along the way from different people...also khakis, dress shoes and a plain polo! business casual (when you get that interviewicon_thumright.gif)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass and new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414

No. Years you worked there and your job title. For example, I was a warehouseman when I was a student and for a bit when I left college. It isn't relevant to my job now but it is still listed on there for reference. If anything it would show you know how to deal with public and know the ins and outs of a business, no matter how different it is. You had a boss. You had co-workers. ETC. You aren't just joining from college with no real-world experience of anything.

My other jobs in IT I do put a blurb under there because that is relevant.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Congratulations!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are few hard and fast rules. I don't put non relevant experience.
  • CastillianCastillian Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats OP.

It is tough to break into this field.
    I've been a computer tech since about 2000. Built my first computer when I was 5, and somehow figured that based on that "experience" growing up that I would be eligible for anything. Not true at all. I managed to skim by, but have learned the hard way that unless you study and get to know the book-knowledge side of things you don't go anywhere.

It was by the grace of higgsboson that I wound up working for one of the top ISP's in the US. During my interview, I did and said everything correctly until we got to the technical aspects. Then I choked. Book knowledge is for interviews. Don't do well during the interview? Doesn't matter how much you know in the real world. Doesn't matter at all.

Nonetheless, I took a decent pay cut to get into the position I am now so that I can build up and grow.

You sir, did things right. You are going to have an easier time than I did breaking into the networking field, that is for certain.

Best of luck to you in your new position.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□

That could apply to certifications or programming languages but I will tell you right now they will not like you omitting and they will ask you about it. Then when you get to the background check, same deal you are getting asked about it. You can shape the characteristics of the job to the new job you are applying to such as customer service, problem solving etc. but to omit is a mistake.

Most jobs are good with your last 3-4 employers, government generally need the last 7-10 years.
  • CastillianCastillian Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Bellman,

I've run into something similar.

I was working for four different companies concurrently. What I did was wrote out those four companies in a subsection of my employment record on my resume as "Concurrent contract employment" so that it wouldn't look like I was a job-hopper. People don't like it when you jump from one job to another to another over the course of only several years.