Server+/Security+ before MCSE?

jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
I was wondering if it would benefit me, as far as a natural progression goes, to take Server+ and Security+ before continuing on towards MCSE and CCNA? I have A+ and MCP now and am studying for Net+, which I plan to have by the end of June. I would then be 1 exam away from my MCSA (70-291), and I plan to do that one next. That combined with my 70-270, 70-290 and A+/Net+ combo would get me to MCSA level.

What I was wondering about is if Server+ and Security+ would be more logical next steps both in gaining certs and as prep for MCSE? I know that the Comptia series is accepted by Microsoft for MCSA and MCSE Electives, so it would help there also.

Has anyone followed this course? And if so, did it work out for you? icon_confused.gif:
Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"

Comments

• skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is purely an opinion, but I think the Server+ is pretty much useless. I do have the book and I read it, learned a bit from it, but never bothered with the exam. If you have the A+, network+, and and MCP you're not going to get much out of it.

The Security+, while not a huge 'contender', is an exam that people seem to think is worthwhile. I'll take it after my MCSA, so after a couple of months.

Personally I'd just finish your MCSA, just because it's easier to keep yourself thinking 'the microsoft way' before switching back to the vague and more expensive Comptia exams.

Just an opinion.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    skully93 wrote:
    This is purely an opinion, but I think the Server+ is pretty much useless. I do have the book and I read it, learned a bit from it, but never bothered with the exam. If you have the A+, network+, and and MCP you're not going to get much out of it.

The Security+, while not a huge 'contender', is an exam that people seem to think is worthwhile. I'll take it after my MCSA, so after a couple of months.

Personally I'd just finish your MCSA, just because it's easier to keep yourself thinking 'the microsoft way' before switching back to the vague and more expensive Comptia exams.

Just an opinion.

I agree with skully93,
    I would also go for the MS and not take the server+.
    as stated before you will probable learn from it, but I think it doesn't carry as much “weight” (like security+) for an MCSA/MCSE.
    If you want you can still get a book and read it.

Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • ESOKESOK Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    skully93 wrote:

Just an opinion.

I totally disagree.

The Server+ is a very good exam to take before taking the Microsoft server exams.

The Server+ exam contains material about general network administration that is either NOT on the Microsoft exam or is not clearly covered. The Microsoft exams focus on Windows 2000/2003 and not on general network administration. When you get hired by a company they expect you to know MORE than just Windows 2000/2003, but how to be a good network administrator.

Things like how to figure out what type of UPS to buy, how to choose the type of back up method to use, disaster recovery planning, specifications of a server room, etc... these are little bits that people think an MCSE or RHCE should know, but many network admins. never learned or learned the hard way.

Network+ exam is a good exam to take before the CCNA.
    Linux+ is a good exam to take before thinking about RHCE.
    Security+ is a good exam to take before thinking about C|EH or CISSP. Project+ is a good exam to take before going after the PMP.
    A+ is a good exam to take before going after an MCSA/MCSE.

The CompTIA exam gives you the foundation to take on the more advanced exams and another certification to add to your resume. Plus, the CompTIA exams count as Microsoft electives and you can get college credit.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Got to admit ESOK lays it down and it makes sense, gonna have to agree with ESOK on this one, he makes some good points. But, hey do what you want and be happy icon_lol.gif
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I will say that I am getting a better understanding on Cisco and CCNA while studying for Network+, so I'd definitely have to agree with taking that before CCNA.

I think that Server+ is a requirement if I would plan on becoming HP/Compaq Server certified...a friend in the IT field told me that HP won't let you take their exam if you do not have Server+ - not that HP/Compaq is high on my list anyway...

I will probably take my 291 (again) after I get done with Net+ and then I will be MCSA. I was going to go for MCSE, but without more hands-on in the real world, I am going to wait and look at some other MS certs, like MSCDBA or MCDST. I really want to find an Entry Level Admin position or one that will allow me to do some things with the Admin side (unlike where I work now, where I am treated like a mushroom - you know, they keep me in the dark and feed me sh*t, it sucks big time!)

Thanks for the responses, they are all very helpful,especially to see both sides. :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    You can do server+ now but don't do security+ until after you get a few MCPs.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Olajuwon wrote:
    You can do server+ now but don't do security+ until after you get a few MCPs.

Actually, I have 70-270 and 70-290 now and plan to hit 70-291 by the end of July. That's the last one I'll need for my MCSA since I'm going to use A+/Net+ for my Elective. I'll probably look into one of the others I mentioned before (MCDST or MCDBA) and also Server+ in there somewhere...I'll see where I am job/career-wise after that. Hopefully I can find something better with the Net+ and MCSA Certs once I get those.

Thanks again!