70-410 is scheduled for tomorrow

jmbreijajmbreija Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the curriculum, I've been studying for 4 weeks, I have a little bit of server experience but none with WS2012. I've read the training guide and exam ref page by page although I haven't done any of the labs and I've watched CBT 3 times. I have WS2012 installed on VMware workstation, poked around a little bit but haven't done much configuring. Question, and sorry if this isn't allowed. How much of the test is about navigating the GUI screens? I feel like I have a solid "conceptual" understanding of the knowledge but I might trip up a little bit if I have to actually perform a scenario.

Also, a little trick I use, I have the fastforward and speed buttons hotkeyed in VLC and I usually watch videos anywhere between 1.3 - 1.8x the speed depending on how fast the instructor talks. Anyone else do this lol?

I'll post back on how I did.

Comments

• jmbreijajmbreija Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    oh and one more thing. After reading several complaints about typo's in the training guide and exam ref I think I found one and since I know this question is going to be on the test I was wondering if anyone else could confirm this. On page 43 of the training guide it states the following PS commands to convert installation types

Core to GUI
    Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell

GUI to core
    Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell

Core to minimal
    Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra

GUI to minimal
    Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra

core to minimal is installing server-gui-mgmt-infra but then GUI to minimal is uninstalling that same component. How can you get a minimal interface by installing something and yet have to uninstall that same thing when coming from a different direction. It seems counter intuitive to me that I would install something to arrive at a certain state and yet have to uninstall the same thing to arrive at the same end state depending on which way I'm coming from.. Is that right? Shouldn't core to minimal be installing server-gui-shell instead of server-gui-mgmt-infra
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Core to Gui (Gui never installed)
    Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Restart

if the Gui was previously installed you could use "enable" instead of install

using Dism
    Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-FullServer /featurename:Server-Gui-Shell /featurename:Server-Gui-Mgmt

to go from Core to Gui
    Uninstall-Windowsfeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra -Restart

For information on the Minimal - I think this is a good link
    HOW TO: Go from Minimal Interface to CORE in Server 2012 | Scott Mattie's Blog
    Yep, just as I suspected. That link you provided contradicts whats in the book.

I just confirmed that gui to minimal is in fact uninstalling server-gui-shell by doing it myself so it is a typo in the training guide.

on a side note, I also uninstalled server-gui-mgmt-infra from full gui without removing the server-gui-shell to see what would happen (the book states to remove both when going from gui to core) and it still gets you core so, technically you don't have to remove server-gui-shell when going from gui to core although it's probably still there taking up space while not being used.
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck jmbreija!!! Let us know how it goes today.
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I know you will do well
    dang, I failed with a 682. All I can say is, be prepared to troubleshoot real world scenarios.
  • jsojso Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did your knowledge of powershell GUI<->minimal<->core<->gui help?
    lmao, no. Like I said, be prepared to troubleshoot real world scenarios.
  • Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    Sorry to hear that. I met a similiar fate with the 70-411 exam. icon_sad.gif
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Xenith19Xenith19 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jmbreija wrote: »
    dang, I failed with a 682. All I can say is, be prepared to troubleshoot real world scenarios.

Stick with it buddy. I passed on my third attempt, and you did better than my first two attempts.

Address your weaknesses and try again. Did you get a second shot voucher?

One thing: On the PS commands for GUI to SC and vice versa, I'd know one thing for sure:

Know the difference between the results of this:

Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-mgmt-infra, server-gui-shell -restart

And this:

Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-gui-shell -restart
  • jsojso Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Xenith19 wrote: »
    Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-mgmt-infra, server-gui-shell -restart

And this:

Uninstall-WindowsFeature Server-gui-shell -restart

Uh, I'd hope you'd know as you have passed. Or at least got a windows 2012 box to try it on. But AFAIK, the server-gui-mgmt-infra is the tools used to maintain services on windows 2012. But the full gui includes things like IE and wordpad. So in the core version you could launch a copy of the dhcp management tool if you had the mgmt-infra feature installed. Then core mode would be called minimal.

Coming from a linux world, I fail to see how this core mode is that much different. Surely it would be better not to load half the drivers and have a real text shell. ssh would also be nice (okay remote powershell i guess is close enough).