Options

which Certification after CCNA?

Birmingham GuyBirmingham Guy Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi members,
I have just passed my CCNA, but have not got any job yet, now I'm thinking to do some other certification as well, to make more chances to get some job. But I'm confused that which one? I was thinking about A+, but please give me an advice under your experience. That is A+ right selection? or some other certification could be more beneficial with CCNA?

I'm looking forward for your helpful answers.

Comments

• Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Why are you going from CCNA to A+? Someone who's on a CCNA level is way pass the A+ level. I have given CompTIA a go because I wanted to get the "holy trinity" but I found it to be a huge waste of money.
  • Options
    Then what do you advice me to do? and also other members?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The big question is what do you want to do in your career?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Study for CCNP and look towards a CCNA level job. With CCNP knowledge you will do better at interviews than the average CCNA. My best advice would be to focus your efforts in finding a job.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    thanks for advices, especially Dieg0M, I have really liked Dieg0M's advice,

to "networker050184" , I would like be Network Engineer, but to get a job, to get in industry/field , i was thinking to do something else as well, to make myself for suitable to get some job, because I'm trying to find some job of CCNA but I hove not got any yet. That's why i have asked this question. Do you people want me to give some advice to find some job? I mean what job-title do you advice me to find at starting level with CCNA certification?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    linuxlover wrote: »
    Why are you going from CCNA to A+? Someone who's on a CCNA level is way pass the A+ level. I have given CompTIA a go because I wanted to get the "holy trinity" but I found it to be a huge waste of money.

CCNA is beyond (well beyond) A+ in terms of job prospects, pay, etc...But, they are two different fields. If you know the hardware side of A+, you should have no problem upgrading, repairing, etc...your own routers (most Cisco switches are not upgradable or user servicable). A+ was my second cert (2001, after CNA Netware 5 in 2000). But, I had been working on PCs for 6 years at that time and passed the test semi-cold. The hardware is not that much different [except the router HW is usually a little older] than what you would see on a PC.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    What to get next depends on what job you get. You might start on CCNP and see where your career takes you. I started on my CCNP, but now I'm dealing more with Firewalls and VPNs (Cisco ASA and others) where I am now, so I'm now studying CCNA: Security. I will go for CCNP: Security and/or CCNP: Routing & Switching after that.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    get practical experience , volunteer if necessary. Don't wait for job adverts, contact companies and put yourself out there.
    Make opportunities happen.

For certs ccnp r&s then security
    but look what jobs are going and what they are asking for.

Me I'm going for data center after CCNA then vmware then ccnp r&s then voip/voice as thats what I need for work.
    I'm in a systems engineer position in a small engineering company , network is only a small but very important part of work.
    Datacenter as thats what our work flow resembles - 80TB storage and rising for 20+ employees.
    Really need a proper san.

Do programming (50%), windows support (20%) and modelling/simulations(20%).
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Well I suggest getting a bloody job! I was also hotheaded when I got introduced to certificates and started working out best combinations until I found out that it's all worth jack squat if you ain't got nothing to back it up with. How would you feel working a horrible helpdesk job as a CCNP and MCSA? It doesn't make sense to me. Certificate is a helper, it confirms what you already know and gives you the edge when you're up against someone like yourself. It won't guarantee you a job if that's what you're hoping, because a certificate without experience only tells you're good at learning but if given a real task to perform you're toasted. I've heard of people with experience and no certificates get jobs over MCSEs.

I could never ever be more sorry to have taken the A+ because it's absolute rubbish and it costs a fortune! It's a certificate for people outside of IT that want a career change and have absolutely no idea where to start. A+ is "look I can tell a hard drive and CPU apart and I also learned that you can't clean your PC with a vacuum cleaner". I cannot believe I got tricked into getting that, I'm often even ashamed to put that on my CV with my level of knowledge.

I'd rather choose volunteering for 6 months part time in your local ISPs DC than a Cisco certificate, it hold much more value. People get certified for the sake of it and then get humiliated in an interview not being able to answer simple questions. If you're CCNA or CCNP people will have high expectations and this can very quickly backfire.
  • Options
    linuxlover wrote: »
    Well I suggest getting a bloody job!

I agree with this.
    I've heard of people with experience and no certificates get jobs over MCSEs.

Experience is golden in this industry. But, its hard to get experience if you can't get anyone to hire you or for that matter even give you an interview. Getting my CCNA, allowed me to get the interview that lead to my current job.
    I could never ever be more sorry to have taken the A+ because it's absolute rubbish and it costs a fortune!

In terms of money made from each cert, the A+ was my second most valuable [after CCNA]. Granted, the jobs weren't that great. But, having an A+ at least got me work [and paychecks.] My Microsoft Certs (MCP/MCTS) were basically worthless. They held about the same value as my A+ (zero additional value since I already had my A+).
    People get certified for the sake of it and then get humiliated in an interview not being able to answer simple questions. If you're CCNA or CCNP people will have high expectations and this can very quickly backfire.

This is true. I was grilled HARD in my interview. I was able to answer all their questions, but still came out wondering how the interview had gone. For A+ positions, I got maybe 1 or 2 technical questions [if any] and a bunch of stupid HR questions (What is your greatest weakness/strength?). For this job (the interview was actually for a different position, but I ended up being offered the position I'm in now), I was asked about routing protocols, troubleshooting (including scenarios), the OSI model, what equipment I had worked with, my career goals, etc...
  • Options
    does A+ makes any combination with CCNA, to get some job?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Again, having a CCNA would lead most to assume you have the knowledge that A+ implies.

You have a CCNA, go upwards and study more challenging things rather than taking a step back and going for an A+.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    thanks guys, for your advices :) , I have decided to start CCNP :)
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Skip A+ if you know how to assemble a computer from scratch.. Personally I would continue to look for work and earn another Associate level cert Maybe study for the MCSA, Windows Server 2012 or Windows7 or 8..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Get a job fist, that's where A+ helps, then as you decide what field you want to concentrate on you get the certs in that area....be it MS , Cisco or others...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.