Cisco Gigabit Switch

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hello!

I searched and found one thread from 2009 on this topic. http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/45205-cheapest-cisco-gigabit-switch.html

A lot has changed since then, let me ask you guys for input on this. Is anybody using 2970G 24port in "production"

I have a couple 2950/3550 but they are currently my bottleneck on my home networ when it comes to backup/data transfer. I am currently using one of the up-link ports on 2950 switch between my gigabit nas port and my main pc and can easily do 90-100 megabyte/sec data transfers, where 100mbps link caps at about 11mb/sec.

So, what I would like to do is replace one of my switches with a gigabit switch, it will be my main lan switch. I don't really need it to be my managed switch, it will be just a 24/7 on type of switch for providing connectivity to 2 computers, htpc, 1 nas box and 1 hypervisor, this is where 100mbps is a bottleneck.

Or would one of SMB SG100 unmanaged switches work fine as well ?
Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/CISCO-SYSTEMS-SG100D-08-NA-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B007SU0LBS/
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been wanting to move up to gigabit too. Prices have dropped quite a bit, but I don't know if this is one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.

Newegg has a few sub-$20 even.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wired Networking, Switches, gigabit
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    i run my home network on SG300/200 kit. At work, we used to use the SG300 kit and it worked well but we upgraded to the Catalyst platform because we needed enterprise support/features.

Obviously the small business product isn't at all designed to match a catalyst but the CLI and feature set will get you far in a home environment. The 10 port SG300 has sfp, buy two and fiber SFP and you can have L3 routing for around $600 , as an example of how powerful the platform is.
  • TritiumTritium Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use a gigabit SG300 Managed Gigabit Switch for my home/lab network. It's an awesome little switch. I've had it running for 6 months without a single problem. Strongly recommended!!!
    2014 Cert Goals:
    ICND1 [X]
    Done!
    ICND2 [ ] Workin on it
    My CCNA Lab...A work in Progress