Options

Hired as a IT Support Analyst!

earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good Afternoon everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know that after obtaining the wisdom, advice (resume, too) and learning experiences from everyone here on this forum, I was able to earn a job at a growing IT Hardware and Software development company in Nashville, TN. The IT field IS HOT HERE!

I am a "IT Support Analyst" which my duties consist of HelpDesk, a bit of networking and SQL development for training purposes. This company is growing and expanding, I am glad to be a part of it. This gets my foot in the door so to speak. I plan on going the InfoSec career route and I am grateful to be even in the "door", to be able to have an opportunity to move up.

Oh!

They are also allowing me to have a schedule 2 hours earlier than most to make room for one of my Spring 2014 classes I am taking. icon_cheers.gif

Thanks all!
WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019

Comments

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats. Take full advantage of the opportunity.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Congrats! That is awesome!
    Book mark this thread so you can update it and let us know how it is going in a few months :D
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Congrats! That is awesome!
    Book mark this thread so you can update it and let us know how it is going in a few months :D

Will do Kohr-ah, thank you very much! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats from a fellow Tennessean!
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    That is awesome! Learn as much as you can at that position, and when you finish learning, learn some more!!!!!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and goodluck in your new position!
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    I can FEEL the excitement coming from your post! I like Nashville! CONGRATS!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Definitely keep us posted on your progress!
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    skeletorskeletor Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Best of luck!!
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Congrats! Soak up all the experience! Some advice I can give you is to NOT say yes ALL THE TIME. Be aware of how much you put on your plate. And when you do say no, just give them a reason why. Such as "I cannot do that for you by x day because I made a commitment to x to have x done by x day."

Executives are exempt from that, of course :)
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!!

Keep us posted icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Humble beginings!

Congrats on your job, and welcome to the IT Field. I can feel the nostalgia of my first IT job coming back, even though it was an internship at a college IT's helpdesk.

Likes others have said, be a sponge and soak up as much as possible, learn and continue learning and you will be on a great and wonderful path. I have been in the field since I was 16 (now 23) and I have had tremendous experiences with every job I have had. (About 5 Lol). Whats more is every 'mentor' I have ever had always has insisted that I never stop learning. Don't be like these helpdesk techs that get miserable and stay in the same place for 5 years without going up or down - take advantage of your supervisors knowledge and your co-workers.

Not to toot my own horn, by I have only been able to obtain all my certifications (A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+, ITILv3F) in 4 months because I listened to everyone's conversations going on in the office between Senior Network Engineers and Server Engineer's. Even if topics didnt apply to me, it would be good to read up on and learn more about (You have to have drive for this field). I can honestly say that because of my constant ambition to learn (And in some instances, SCREW UP), and to be a student at all times, I was able to get to where I am at now. I am even breaking into the sales/management side of the house because of my ways.

I even was given a Server (Win Server 2008R2) and told to break it, fix it, build it, create domains, create AD's/Exchanges, File shares, everything - I did that on my own time and my own dime just for experience, nevermind certifications or OJT.

As my current Job's Owner/CEO told me "It's not bad to know a bunch of $hit", It'll make you that more versatile.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Just got my confirmation from the HR manager! I officially start on the 6th of Jan!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Woo-hoo! I really hope it is a great place for you!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Help Desk / Support Analyst is an excellent place to start. I learned a ton on the help desk
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    A hearty congratulations, and welcome to IT! Make the most of your abilities, and the sky will be the limit for you.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earonw49 wrote: »
    Just got my confirmation from the HR manager! I officially start on the 6th of Jan!

Congrats! Definitely keep us updated!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Congrats man!

I've tried countless times to get a position in Nashville as I live in Western KY and haven't had any success yet. Definitely lots of tech jobs in Nashville though.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    Hey everyone! Major life update! I will make another thread in regards to it. Thank you all for the support!
  • Options
    ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's fantastic! It sounds like you've found not only a job, but a great company to work for also.

LoL, you bumped a very old thread.
  • Options
    gregonometrygregonometry Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome. Congrats! Make the most of it.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Good for you! Sending successful thoughts your way and look forward to hearing about your great success over time. Keep us posted!!!
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I live here in Nashville lots to choose from. Healthcare IT is big here along with SQL