Options

Books for JNCIA study

ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys.

I'll be studying for JNCIA-JunOS sometime in early next year, so I wanted to prepare books and other study materials for the time being.

I was wondering what would be a recommended book for JNCIA-JunOS.

I found two books, but I'm not sure if I need the "Junos Enterprise Switching" one.
Juniper's JNCIA-JunOS exam objectives seems to focus on the routing, but not so much on switching.
Please correct if I am wrong.

Junos Enterprise Routing

Junos Enterprise Switching

I also have JNCIA-Sec in my scope, but that one was easy as I could only find one applicable book.

Thank you in advance.
2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D

Comments

• Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I used the two free PDF's from the study resources section of fast track and they covered everything:
    https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_fasttrack_home.aspx

Those and practice in an olive or real gear is enough.

As an additional resource, I'd recommend the JNCIA-JunOS CBT Nuggets, thought they were pretty good.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    I recommend purchasing a few SRX100 series devices. They are pretty cheap on Ebay.
  • Options
    nowlannowlan Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For junos, the 2 free study guides on their learning website were good.
    I also recommend the cbt nugget videos.

Make sure you understand networking basics, including rip and ospf.
    You may want to look at some ccna books, since there are more of them available.

And srx 100 is cheap if you have cash spare. Not essential to have for junos exam however.

There is also an dedicated SRX book by oreilly you may want to look up.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm using the old sybex book that's on their site right now. Having done the CCNA earlier this year, I feel spoiled with Odom's material as the JUNOS book is quite poor. I feel it goes in to a lot of detail about stuff that I don't need to know at this level. Exam is next week so will report back then.

I'm also using the CBT nuggets.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Using the old sybex book for the new JNCIA exam is probably not a good idea. As you have noticed the objectives for the current exam are a lot different than the old M series exams. The free PDFs on the Fast Track are all you need. Especially if you have your CCNA already.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Using the old sybex book for the new JNCIA exam is probably not a good idea. As you have noticed the objectives for the current exam are a lot different than the old M series exams. The free PDFs on the Fast Track are all you need. Especially if you have your CCNA already.

Definitely not a good idea! :) Thanks for the heads up, it didn't give me a lot of time but I look set for tomorrow's exam.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd also reccomend :
    JUNOS OS For Dummies [Paperback]
    Walter J. Goralski , Cathy Gadecki , Michael Bushong
    JUNOS OS For Dummies: Walter J. Goralski, Cathy Gadecki, Michael Bushong: 9780470891896: Amazon.com: Books

It's a good intro , it's not an exam guide, but a good supplement to the Juniper study guides that's reasonably priced.

If you can, an SRX is a good investment.
    I was able to setup a couple of Olives (a virtualized JunOS environment)
    A bit frustrating to begin with, but fun.
    Certainly no substitute for the real thing!