failed..

scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
I failed a few weeks back on the security + test. Ugh.. Have been trying to read up on anything I can before my next test on the 27th. One question really got me..(among others obviously..LOL) I can laugh (somewhat, now) It's that simulation regarding the firewall. Is the 4th rule implicit deny?icon_study.gif
Never let your fear decide your fate....

Comments

• DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up! Keep studying & it will pay off.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear you dropped the test but good to hear that you sound like you're getting ready to study more and tackle it again.

I can't speak directly to the exact question you saw or what the answer is but....

The last rule in a firewall is a deny all rule which is typically referred to as implicit deny. The concept is that you have multiple rules in the access control list (ACL) which explicitly define traffic that is allowed. Any traffic that isn't explicitly allowed is implicitly denied. Some firewalls require you to manually add this rule while other firewalls have this as a default (meaning that you don't have to actually add the implicit deny rule but it is applied.)

Hope this helps.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Thank you..
    Actually that question (though a little bit different) is on your get ahead Security + (which I paid for today). Great site, sir! This will help me tremendously. ::D
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Re-Arm and Re-Group and hit the test again!

The Security+ test is not rocket science. You can definitely get this one done. I also used D. Gibson's book (and only his book) to pass the exam. I should note that I also have a few years as a Help Desk Analyst so that stuff was really common sense to me. However, reading through his book help me on a bunch of concepts I did not understand.

Keep your eye on the prize, and just imagine what your wall will look like with that sweet looking credential hanging there, not to mention your resume.

Good luck and bring TE back a winner!
    Kindly doing the needful
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Actually that question (though a little bit different) is on your get ahead Security + (which I paid for today). Great site, sir! This will help me tremendously. ::D

Excellent. Most importantly, it's great to see you getting ready to beat this test. I've mentioned it a few times on this site and many times to students in classes, but the first time I took the SY0-101 exam, I dropped it. I took it for granted assuming I had the knowledge and was obviously mistaken. However, just like you, I did some more research to learn about the objectives, I dug in and studied the content at a deeper level, and the second time I took it, I passed.
    Thanks..icon_study.gif
  • jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed the MCP back in 2002. It was a rough year all around, with a lot of distractions and lack of confidence, so I know how disappointing it feels to get a fail notification. Just keep plugging at it, and you'll pass. Good luck!
    I should have updated. I did pass a few weeks later with a 820.
  • amigo23amigo23 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You passed it without the A+? That's very nice! congrats!
    Yes, I did pass without taking the A+. Security+ was just required for the job.
  • new2ITSecuritynew2ITSecurity Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wondering what I should focus on…my test is next week. Any advice?
  • donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am planning on taking the test end of Febuary, My Book from Darril is showing up today from Amazon, I have found some good video's on youtube that can help too, just search on Securty+, read the section in the book and watch a video, also some good video's on the OSI model. Use every free resource you can find.
    new2ITsecurity, focus on what Mr. Gibson's book has at the end of each chapter. Take alot of practice tests.
  • libby_vclibby_vc Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Glad to see you were able to stick it out and pass!