Offensive Security Course Update

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
Live January 5th. Says it is a pretty big rewrite, emails to alum this week.

Penetration Testing with Kali Linux - Online Course Update

Comments

• Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    YEEEEESSS. They must have just posted this because I've been checking.
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good info. Guess who is NOT going to retake for the Kali updates? This guy!!!
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If the price range is the same I will commence this January.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! This got me extremely excited! I can't wait to see what it will be like. I'm also wondering whether they increased the difficulty? I can't wait for the fifth of January to hear more.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    If I had to guess...it will probably be easier. I say this for two reasons:

1. The boxes aren't going to get harder. Most of the boxes in their lab are already totally hardened with the exception of one vulnerable service. And many of them can only be popped by stringing together multiple exploits. Their intention is to give you exposure to a wide range of different types of vulnerabilities/exploits...not to make it as hard as possible. But, as was the case when I took it, there will always be a hole (since that is kinda the point).

2. The teaching style will be more effective and the modules will be better organized to equip you with the skills you need. While most of the challenges will remain the same (the boxes you have to pop and the vulnerabilities that you have to exploit). It is my understanding that they've improved their teaching style...which will likely make it easier to learn the material.
  • Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "which will likely make it easier to learn the material."

That's what I'm hoping for. I don't want the targets to be easier, but if the material is designed better I'm all for it!
    2014 Goals
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does the PWK count towards OSCP? On the OSCP site it only mentions PWB.
    MSP-IT wrote: »

The cert stays the same - OSCP. Only the course changes.

@NovaHax, I might ask you for a few tips when my time comes. I think I'm familiar enough with the course but it doesn't hurt to clear a few things before you start.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    @NovaHax, I might ask you for a few tips when my time comes. I think I'm familiar enough with the course but it doesn't hurt to clear a few things before you start.

That's what I'm here for. Feel free to hit me up on the forums or PM me if you want to take the conversation elsewhere. Good luck!!!
    Hey, does the timer for lab access start ticking as soon as you buy the course?
    2014 Goals
    MSP-IT wrote: »

PWK is replacing PWB. So successful completion of PWK and the OSCP challenge will yield the cert, in the same way that completion of PWB and the challenge used to get you OSCP.

The course reporting will likely change. But I'm sure OffSec will grandfather in anyone who was already doing PWB. They will probably get access to the new content, but can report on the deliverables requested in PWB. They aren't really looking to screw anyone over. So if you were already doing the course...you will most likely not have to start over.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sweet! Got a couple certs I want to get done first, but aiming for Summer to actually start. Hopefully the upgrade isn't too expensive!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Hey, does the timer for lab access start ticking as soon as you buy the course?

When I did it, it worked like this.

1. Once registered, they will give you 24 hours to test your connectivity to the lab and make sure you aren't having any issues (I actually used this time to start doing recon on the network... how you use that time is up to you...but its not counted against you.)

2. I think your actual start date is about 1-2 weeks later. I don't remember if you schedule the date or if it is assigned to you, but expect at least a 1 week delay from when you register. I wanted to start immediately but had to wait.
    A few things to keep in mind.

- Schedule your test at least a week out as well. The test slots fill up fast. So don't expect to register the day before the exam.

- Use the IRC chat!!! It helps a lot.

- If you have a job or any sort of social life, I would recommend the 90 day program.

- YOU DON'T HAVE TO POP ALL THE BOXES. You don't even have to pop most of them. This is something that a lot of people get hung up on.

- If you have the money, do a trial run on the exam half way through ($60 is not a lot of money for a retake). I took the exam when I was about half way through the lab (honestly expected to fail). I passed on that first attempt. I spent the next 40 days popping more boxes in the lab...but stress free. This is actually a good approach...even if you fail...you at least know what you're in for.

- If my experience is any indication, the boxes on the challenge are not near as bad as some of the ones in the lab. Don't get discouraged if you get hung up on a few boxes in the lab...it doesn't mean you can't pass the test.

I'll throw more tips out as I think of them...
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might take it Fall of 2014, I am pretty swamped with the eLearnSecurity courses and certs.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Got my upgrade email today, and they are giving people who bought the class after July a great deal. They also say new labs, but mostly the same targets as the PWB ones, so you can do a search / replace with your notes. New exercises though, and the lab client is win7 now.
    Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping to start in the summer. With work and school this is the only suitable time for me cause the schedule is better.
    I think I'm going to shoot for sometime around the end of January. So that gives me around a month to pre-study. I think the areas that I may be the weakest in is Assembly and buffer overflow stuff. I think I'll also look at python harder. Being solid on python would probably help speed up things automation-wise.

Sound good? Any other tips?
    2014 Goals
  • loneferretloneferret Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good observation and opinion. However, it wouldn't say easier :)
    It's just better... But I'm probably bias... lol
  • Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm scheduled for a January 18th start date. If anyone else starts towards the end of January feel free to PM me.
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    NovaHex, Awesome idea on taking the test halfway through. I'm hoping to make the time to take this course later this year and I will absolutely try that.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just ordered the updated course materials - hope to order more lab time in a week or two, just have to see how work wants to handle it.