Options

network+ = new job?

einhaneinhan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
(long time reader, first time poster) ive been checking this site out for quite a while but decided to join the forums because all of you guys are so damn helpful, so i'll pose my question and see what i get.

currently im 2+ years into a "help desk but not really a help desk" job, you know the kind where i do more than give a monotone "restart your computer". i actually fix the damn thing along with laptops, laserjet printers, impact printers (yeah, theyre still in use), netgear vpn firewalls, i deal with countless idiotic ISPs, and around 300 facilities with standalone networks consisting of a few pcs and said netgear routers. ive got my a+ cert and im an mcp in windows 2k. i was considering studying for the security+ exam since it had some things i was already familiar with but some things im seeing for the first time, so im going with the network+ first. my question is, when i pass (gotta have a positive attitude), considering my help desk experience and of course the certs, would i encounter any difficulty finding another job? moving up in this current company is out of the question as their network duties can be handled by one guy, which they already have, of course.

Comments

• Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I would think that based on what you do and then having the certs to back it up, that you would be able to move to a better job...the trick would be finding one. I'm not sure of your area, but in Pennsylvania, tech jobs are not the most plentiful. A friend of mine worked for a company that just shut down in Pittsburgh and is moving to Alabama (the South seems to have more than enough tech jobs). Since moving is out of the question for him, he is out of a job right now. If your area is a good one for tech jobs, then you should have no trouble finding something, but if not, it'll be a tough decision to stay or move.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    well im in houston so....im not sure how it is down here. hehehe

moving would be out of the question....i guess if nothings here then i'll just stick it out and keep studying....net+ then sec+ then....who knows...
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Well, I've checked a lot of online job sites and Dallas seems to come up all the time for tech jobs...I know you are not in Dallas, but it may be the same all over down there, so you may just be alright...

Good Luck! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of the best ways to find new employment is to network. If you don’t know many IT professionals, then one way to get in touch is to join an association. AITP is one of those and you just happen to have a professional chapter and several student chapters. If you are not sure about whether you want to join or not ask to be a guest one time at a gathering. Here is a link. http://www.aitp.org/organization/chapters/chapterhome.jsp?ID=361
    I have gotten all of my jobs through networking, in fact, I have a temp job right now, and I just started networking with the new contractor and I may have a real good shot into rolling over into the new contract for a more permanent position. A few of my co-workers have landed new jobs through AITP contacts. icon_cool.gif

Second thing, I recommend is document as much experience as you can. I mean find out things you can put stats on that show the breadth of your experience. Get a supervisor to write a letter of appreciation if you can. Check out some of the other posts on resumes in this forum, there is good advice in them. Hard numbers, percents, Cost savings, how you impacted your organization, what problems did you solve. Do peers and others repeatedly ask for your advice. Dig up as much statistics as you can. These all help on a resume.
    Good Luck
    :D
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Badger95 wrote:
    Hard numbers, percents, Cost savings, how you impacted your organization, what problems did you solve. Do peers and others repeatedly ask for your advice. Dig up as much statistics as you can. These all help on a resume.
    Good Luck
    :D

what sucks is that in this particular position, there are no HUGE problems i can solve...its just fix the pc/printer/program, and thats it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you dont need huge problems to fix, how many users do you support and their machines. Their machines support somehting, you helped them get their job done. how many calls do you field. there is always a way you can work it to your advantage.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    oh well i was planning on throwing that in without a doubt

lets see...
    300 locations, at least 2 users per location, plus 250 corporate users both onsite and nationwide....

man, that does look good written out.
  • Options
    magic19magic19 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in Houston, and I have no certs and seem to actually get alot of infrastructure positions. I also have a good 5+ years in designing and installing infrastructures. I really do want to get my Network+ cert also, but I found that my best is to get my CCNA because of the work I do and its more widely known. Choose your certifications wisely according to the position you want. So that means go to www.cramsession.com check out the career track and find out what certs are right for you.

Also some companies do require certs, but most will accept you for your experience. You'll have a panel interview with about 2 or more people so they can make sure you know what is on your resume. Another good thing to do is to highlight the strong qualities you have that the position requires on your resume. I can probably point you in the right direction if you needed some help.